Are the people of Roshar "giants?"

Firehead13

Don't think there should be a spoiler tag, but let me know if I need to change.

So the preface to Edgedancer where Khriss is describing the planet mentions that the gravity is lower, the oxygen concentration is higher, and that a foot is longer on Roshar than it is in other places. Would these things together mean that the people of Roshar, the Alethi in particular as they are already noted as bigger than others, are giants? Nothing extreme, but I can't help but think of Adolin as possibly being 8 feet tall or so. Does anyone remember how Hoid matches up with everyone there?

11 hours ago, Yata said:

I don't think there is too much height difference on Roshar's popolation....Worldhopper seem to be able to pass for them without too much effort.

Yeah, gravity and oxygen concentration problems really only become an issue for newborns and sedentary long-term visitors, and that's only ever been mentioned when moving through larger-scale changes... Things like the 1/3rd gravity of Mars or the 1/6th gravity of the moon... Something like a 20%-30% difference as Khriss mentions across the cosmere shouldn't effect too much unless a very unhealthy Rosharan found themselves attempting some strenuous exercise elsewhere.

20 hours ago, asterion137 said:

Vasher was normal sized but he can shapeshift and stuff. Nazh was normal sized but "lanky" so I think in general they're roughly the same height on Roshar

whoa - how did I miss that Vasher could shape-shift?  Is that in warbreaker?

21 hours ago, asterion137 said:

The Alethi are noted to be "freakishly tall" by Shallan so I think the average might be normal height

It is a rather arbitrary term. Shallan is 5ft7. If the average height of Alethi women is around 5 ft 9in (which is considerably taller than any average for women I have been able to find within existing Earth nation, it other words, it is very tall), it could be enough for her to refer to them as freakishly tall. Men average would probably be around 6 ft 1 in or 6 ft 2 in (in real life, there is usually about 4-5 in difference in between male and female average). If all men Shallan has been around were more about 5 ft 10, then she might think Alethi are very tall when most men end up being well above 6 ft. 

These average are much taller than most all average I could find on Earth, but not so much a world-hopper would stand out by being abnormally small. 

I usually put Kaladin at 6 ft 4, Dalinar at 6 ft 3 and Adolin at 6 ft 2, but YMMV. Where I live 6 ft 4 is "freakishly tall": not many people are this tall.

On 29/11/2016 at 2:26 AM, djammmer said:

It's because he's a returned, by changing how he views himself he should be able to change how he looks, which is basically a conscious version of the reason all the returned look like gods.

On 11/28/2016 at 6:26 PM, djammmer said:

Kenod has it mostly right, but I feel we should add that there are some (mostly unknown) limitations on Returned shapeshifting.  The only examples we see "on-screen" are the Royal Locks (because the Royals are descended from a Returned) and Vasher's ability to become a "divine" version of himself.  We don't know how far it goes.

14 minutes ago, happyman said:

Kenod has it mostly right, but I feel we should add that there are some (mostly unknown) limitations on Returned shapeshifting.  The only examples we see "on-screen" are the Royal Locks (because the Royals are descended from a Returned) and Vasher's ability to become a "divine" version of himself.  We don't know how far it goes.

Iirc Vasher implies that all returned have the ability to do so and just don't know it. He references how all the gods look like they think they should, despite not being that way in life.

Just now, Firehead13 said:

Iirc Vasher implies that all returned have the ability to do so and just don't know it. He references how all the gods look like they think they should, despite not being that way in life.

Yep, that's right.  We just don't know how far the ability stretches.  In Lightsong's flashback, he remembers himself before he died.  He was still himself, just...not a godly version of himself.  He was a pudgy clerk.  But his transformation didn't change everything, it just...upgraded him to what he and others thought he should be.

Vasher also implies that even for Returned who have practiced, there are limits.  Certainly neither he nor Denth uses any special shapeshifting abilities to become a spy.

51 minutes ago, happyman said:

I'm not quite sure either if Vasher can shape-shift when he's suppressing his Divine Breath (so not appearing "divine").  It's possible that he can turn it on and off, and once it's on, also adjust how he appears, but with it off, he may not have the same ability.

• Chaos locked this topic