New Theory on the Shard That Just Wants to Hide and Survive

ROSHtaFARian2.0

I think it's a possible counterpart to the newly named Shard of Ambition. Now I'm thinking the Shard that just wants to hide and survive might be named something along the lines of Caution. In keeping with the theory that the Shards are all divine attributes, if Ambition is the divine urge to create, to do things, to advance....Caution is the divine urge to wait, to use restraint, to not do simply because one can, but to be aware of repercussions, ramifications.

And as a singular Shard, without the influence of other divine attributes such as Ambition, Endowment, Cultivation, etc.....a Shard named Caution might simply want to hide and survive, isolating him or herself from the conflicts raging elsewhere throughout the cosmere.

I feel like I remember Brandon saying that wanting to stay back and survive was more a response of seeing what Odium's doing than a facet of the intent.

That said, I like the idea of a Shard of Caution. Even if it isn't the "hide and survive" figure, one of the Shards should have an aspect of Caution in it's Intent

I do remember that WoB as well. I think I need to see its exact phrasing though, because my perception of it was that Brandon was saying that the Shard's Intent wasn't synonymous with hiding or surviving or anything like that, but rather that as you said, 'it wanting to just hide and survive' was in response to what Odium was doing.

So I think this still fits, because Caution itself is not synonymous with just hiding or isolating oneself, or prioritizing survival above all. So its not hiding because its Intent is to hide. Its hiding because in light of what Odium is doing, hiding and surviving is the most effective way to act in accordance with its Intent, which is Caution.

Here's the quote (I have it in my bookmarks, since this topic comes up quite a bit):

I asked if the Shard that just wants to survive has something like the intent of fear. Brandon replied that that shard's intent is only tangentially related to what's going on.

That shard is well aware of what is n going on in the Cosmere, and is smart enough to try and just get away from it all.

Source.

Since I first heard about the Survival Shard I've thought it was Kelsier. With an intent being something like Desire. Kelsiers overwhelming want to survive and the mixture of the shards intent leading him to flee/hide. Though the main problem with Kelsier being the shard is, it's very hard to imagine him not trying to interfere constantly.

8 minutes ago, hellfun said:

"Autonomy's policy of isolationism in recent times"(Arkanum Unbound|Brandon Sanderson)

This quote seems to make it clear that Autonomy is the shard that just wants to hide and Survive.

Not at all. Because that same quote goes on to say that her isolationism in regards to Taldain is at odds with her interference in other worlds, which is definitely not characteristic of just wanting to hide and survive, or stay out of what's going on in the cosmere.

On 11/24/2016 at 1:57 PM, thegatorgirl00 said:

Since I first heard about the Survival Shard, I have believed the Intent is Hope. Kelsier will Ascend to this shard in Mistborn Era 4.

Brandon loves sneaking foreshadowing into his books. Kelsier's last words to TLR was foreshadowing for this.

Oh my god i hope you are right. That would be perfect. 

On 11/24/2016 at 4:57 PM, thegatorgirl00 said:

Since I first heard about the Survival Shard, I have believed the Intent is Hope. Kelsier will Ascend to this shard in Mistborn Era 4.

Brandon loves sneaking foreshadowing into his books. Kelsier's last words to TLR was foreshadowing for this.

Though Kell does not seem that interested in ascending again... It would be fitting though. Especially if he does it for a totally selfless reason.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

On 11/26/2016 at 8:52 AM, ARARITA said:

how about a shard named Patience - seems like a divine attribute

Trepidation?

We don't have a Shard for "Fear" or "Worry" yet... While Patience and Hope seem a good fit, so many of these are, what I'd call, "Noble" attributes.
Preservation, Endowment, Devotion, Honor, Cultivation... 
On the flip side we have Hatred, Ruin, Dominion, 
And the inbetweens of Ambition, Autonomy, etc... 

I feel like we're due for another "ugly" Shard. One that isn't such a sunny spot in the Cosmere... Something like Fear or Despair, maybe even Anguish or the big daddy itself, Oblivion/Nothingness.

Just my speculation, and of course it only obeys false-averages, since we technically have 6 more to go. So it's just a "Think we're about due for..." thought.

• Chaos locked this topic