Future Radiant Oaths

ScarletSabre

Anyone want to speculate on future oaths/ideals for the orders of the Radiants? I think it would be fun to try and guess what the characters might learn, and what they might go through to realise it.

My idea for Kaladin is that his next oath will be a tough one for him, coming from him getting so badly hurt protecting someone that he can't save another. My guess is his self-sacraficing nature will make him leap in the way of an attack meant for Dalinar or Shallan or Renarin, and end up laying on the floor, Stormlight barely keeping him alive as the sights of someone/something are trained on Bridge Four, or someone else Kaladin was trying to protect... Kaladin will then realise he protected the wrong person instinctively, and took a hit badly, and his oath will be.... "I will protect... myself before all others. If I throw my life away to save one, I can't protect any more."

Wow...That would be a hard-learned lesson...I like it, but I'm not really sure it would fit the pattern we've seen so far.

In the scenario you propose, Kaladin would almost certainly have to explicitly violate the oath before he figured it out and learned the words.  That would be like if he trained up one bridge crew, then in an act of cowardice, allowed them to die while he hid from the parshendi arrows, before he trained up bridge four and decided he would protect those who cannot protect themselves.

Still, have an upvote for originality and drama!

I'm very interested in what Renarin's Oaths are going to be, or if he's even said any of them yet.  I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of, "I will share my thoughts with others, even if they're unpopular."  He sees the future (apparently), and seems to be pretty bright and dedicated, but his social problems have a tendency of getting in the way of him effectively communicating with others and contributing to the war effort.  He's going to need to learn to function in a role that may often place him in the forefront of criticism, hostility, and the desperate need for answers and guidance, and some magically binding oaths might be a good way to make that happen quicker.

I suspect the Truth watchers Oaths are tied to speaking the truths (not speaking truths like the light weavers) I guess for the second ideal "I will not seek to deceive others." followed by the third "I will seek out the truth. no matter where it may be found" The last one is likely "I will only Sspeak the truth, regardless of the consequences."

SO now when Shallan asks "Does this dress make me look fat?" what does he say?

2 minutes ago, Tsidqiyah said:

I suspect the Truth watchers Oaths are tied to speaking the truths (not speaking truths like the light weavers) I guess for the second ideal "I will not seek to deceive others." followed by the third "I will seek out the truth. no matter where it may be found" The last one is likely "I will only Sspeak the truth, regardless of the consequences."

SO now when Shallan asks "Does this dress make me look fat?" what does he say?

He says "a dress can't MAKE you look fat" and runs for it for the two seconds it will take her to work that out xD

11 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

Anyone want to speculate on future oaths/ideals for the orders of the Radiants? I think it would be fun to try and guess what the characters might learn, and what they might go through to realise it.

My idea for Kaladin is that his next oath will be a tough one for him, coming from him getting so badly hurt protecting someone that he can't save another. My guess is his self-sacraficing nature will make him leap in the way of an attack meant for Dalinar or Shallan or Renarin, and end up laying on the floor, Stormlight barely keeping him alive as the sights of someone/something are trained on Bridge Four, or someone else Kaladin was trying to protect... Kaladin will then realise he protected the wrong person instinctively, and took a hit badly, and his oath will be.... "I will protect... myself before all others. If I throw my life away to save one, I can't protect any more."

I don't like it. Too dramatic and quite frankly if Kaladin discovers another oath in such circumstances, I might throw my book away. I find characters interesting when they evolve, when they grow and when their story arcs take them to unseen places. This sounds like a re-mash of the 3rd oath... and quite frankly if the author, once again, beats Kaladin down, I will roll my eyes and probably skip to the next chapter. After a while, you've got to change your story arcs and not make everything happen to the same character. 

Sorry, it doesn't work out for me. Besides, hints are Kaladin's fourth oath is more likely to deal with leadership more than protection.

From what we know so far about Oathbringer, I think Kaladin's path will take him to Kholinar. I can easily see him having to take the lead in stopping the riots and restoring peace there. I imagine he would be reluctant to do so. We have seen him take the lead militarily, leading soldiers, but this would be something entirely different. It would be leading civilians, an entire city possibly, and would mean that he would have to become a societal leader as well as a ranking officer in charge of soldiers. It would most likely remind him of being a citylord, which we know he has good reason to hate. I think his next oath will come out of this struggle. 

1 hour ago, IntentAwesome said:

From what we know so far about Oathbringer, I think Kaladin's path will take him to Kholinar. I can easily see him having to take the lead in stopping the riots and restoring peace there. I imagine he would be reluctant to do so. We have seen him take the lead militarily, leading soldiers, but this would be something entirely different. It would be leading civilians, an entire city possibly, and would mean that he would have to become a societal leader as well as a ranking officer in charge of soldiers. It would most likely remind him of being a citylord, which we know he has good reason to hate. I think his next oath will come out of this struggle. 

That's an interesting thought, especially when you consider that when leading people into battle, you cannot protect them all.  You can protect those that are near, or the ones you have the power to save, but he's going to have to realize that it's not his fault if he can't protect someone he led into battle, and that has to be okay.  Whether that's what the oath relates to or is simply a part of his learning process (and I'd like to see him deal with this one without getting all despondent again), I don't know, but I suspect that will come up at some point.

On 11/25/2016 at 10:26 PM, IntentAwesome said:

I really like this because it looks like Kholinar will be in a Darkeyed revolt and Kaladin will have to choose between protecting lighteyes and darkeyes. Order vs. freedom. Can he find a middle path? Can he avoid a revolution even though in other circumstances he might lead it? My guess is that Taravangian will be pushing the revolution and Kaladin will need to lead them to a peaceful resolution. 

At least one of Kaladin's oaths (definitely the fifth one, at least) will deal with leading.

Concerning the OP's idea, I'd actually argue that the opposite would be true if the 4th oath dealt with that, meaning that Kaladin would swear to protect others even at the cost of his own life.

After all, as All-Might/Alex Louis Armstrong said, "Embody what it means to be a hero. Nothing is nobler than self-sacrifice."

On 11/25/2016 at 11:26 PM, IntentAwesome said:

I like this idea as well. 

Another concept I think Kaladin will need to come to grips with, either in Oathbringer or later, is that of protecting people but still allowing them to make their own choices, even if those choices put them in danger. He has made statements that he should have made Bridge 4 leave to protect them from fighting, but he'll learn that it's their decision and he can't make it for them. He can only do his best to protect them.

• Chaos locked this topic