Shardweapons spolier for WOR

bdoble97

When Kaladin is fighting Szeth above the two storms. Syl appears to be almost reading Kaladin's mind. She starts off as a shardblade and them turns her self into a shardspear. Better fitting his fighting style. Latter on in the fight Syl transforms in a shardshield, hammer and even a knife I believe. Does this mean that for the other future KR can have different Shardweapons. Imagine a massive shard battel axe. A Horneater in Shardplate and shard battel axe would be somthing to see. 

Yeah. I assume it uses the same mechanism as actually summoning a shardblade does. We don't know what types of material a living sprenblade can imitate, but they should be able to turn into anything metallic of reasonable size, at least.

Haven't we seen Shallan's blade change length, like when she went to cut the handholds in the chasm cliff face? And didn't her father put it in his safe? That's not the same level of change we've seen with Kaladin, but it is evidence the others can change shape to at least some extent.

27 minutes ago, Argel said:

Haven't we seen Shallan's blade change length, like when she went to cut the handholds in the chasm cliff face? And didn't her father put it in his safe? That's not the same level of change we've seen with Kaladin, but it is evidence the others can change shape to at least some extent.

The blade her father put in the safe is described quite differently, it was more like a knife - to fit Shallan's small size at the time probably.

I'm personally more curious abouabout if Syl can transform into multiple weapons at the same time.... would she be able to create a pair of gauntlets for Kaladin to be able to catch/deflect Shardblades if that was his fighting style?

Or rather than one long blade/spear, would she be able to become a pair of knives which would total the same size as the spear?

And what, if any, is her limit on size? There must be one, otherwise Kaladin could just summon her, have her turn into a near weightless sword with a blade 100 foot long, swing, and decapatate buildings and anyone inside them. 

17 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

When Kaladin is fighting Szeth above the two storms. Syl appears to be almost reading Kaladin's mind. She starts off as a shardblade and them turns her self into a shardspear. Better fitting his fighting style. Latter on in the fight Syl transforms in a shardshield, hammer and even a knife I believe. Does this mean that for the other future KR can have different Shardweapons. Imagine a massive shard battel axe. A Horneater in Shardplate and shard battel axe would be somthing to see. 

I'm rather sure the Horneaters usually use huge broadswords, but that would be pretty awesome.

I'm actually not sure if all shardblades are as changeable as Kaladin's, at first thought I'd actually say no, based on the fact that Syl naturally changes shape radically even as a spren while the others don't do this so much.

But, thinking about it, I'd expect yes. A spren already has to shift forms drastically to become a blade, it'd be strange if they couldn't do that a little more to be an axe, spear or hammer. 

12 hours ago, Argel said:

We did, yes ^_^

9 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

I'm personally more curious abouabout if Syl can transform into multiple weapons at the same time.... would she be able to create a pair of gauntlets for Kaladin to be able to catch/deflect Shardblades if that was his fighting style?

I'm pretty sure there's a WoB on this that e.g. Syl can only transform into a single object (so e.g. no bow and  arrow). I tried searching on Theoryland though, so it could have slipped into my headcanon. But even without a WoB,  doubt the spren can slit themselves up into multiple parts. That doesn't really fit in with everything we've seen.

9 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

Doesn't Syl become a group of leaves at one point in WoK though?

I am pritty sure she did. I was wonderingcan she become a shardspear and shield or if she can have her  cousins wind spren form together to create a shield

I have assumed that she can become any one conceptual thing. A group of leaves blown in the wind seem to move as a single writhing entity, more an expression of the single gust of wind driving them, and so she can be a group of leaves. She could not be a group of leaves scattered by the wind, because they cease to be conceptually joined.

Under this assumption she may not become a sword and spear, but she might become a pair of brawling gauntlets, or (depending on your point of view) a pair of twin-swords (I'm looking at you, Zuko of the Fire Nation).

Edited by Krandacth

• Chaos locked this topic