Khlennium? [Era I Spoilers]

soyperson

So, before Rashek Ascended as TLR, there were two main civilisations that we know of, those being Khlennium and Terris. We know about Terris, with its God Terr and its Feruchemy and such, but what of Khlennium? Khlennium is what really catches my eye. A whole, extensive civilisation just destroyed. Am I the only one who would like to know more of this ancient people? And Classical Scadrial in general?

Every time I ask Brandon about the pre-Final Empire Scadrial, he goes silent :(

I would love to learn more about it, but I am starting to doubt it will happen. Maybe we'll get some glimpses from WoBs, but I now doubt we'll get even a short story, let alone a full novel.

Just now, Argent said:

Every time I ask Brandon about the pre-Final Empire Scadrial, he goes silent :(

I would love to learn more about it, but I am starting to doubt it will happen. Maybe we'll get some glimpses from WoBs, but I now doubt we'll get even a short story, let alone a full novel.

Wait, as in "hehe RAFO" silent, or "Oh storms I never thought about this thoroughly" silent?

Also, are you and Branderson, like, friends, or what?

1 minute ago, bleeder said:

Wait, as in "hehe RAFO" silent, or "Oh storms I never thought about this thoroughly" silent?

I just get no reply. You do need to know that I've only asked him about this online though, so it's a difficult silence to interpret.

1 minute ago, bleeder said:

Also, are you and Branderson, like, friends, or what?

Nothing of that sort, I'm afraid. I think he recognizes me both in person (from the signings I've attended) and online (from both Twitter and Reddit), but probably not much more than that. 

Just now, Argent said:

I just get no reply. You do need to know that I've only asked him about this online though, so it's a difficult silence to interpret.

Nothing of that sort, I'm afraid. I think he recognizes me both in person (from the signings I've attended) and online (from both Twitter and Reddit), but probably not much more than that. 

Oh, I thought you meant asked him, like in person. 

*le Argent and Brandon sitting at the bar drinking* 

"So Brandon, how's Emily and the kids? Good? Good. Written any good books lately? Ha. Tell me more about pre-Rashek Scadrial? No? Okay, that's cool."

If I remember correctly, the whole concept of the Nobles, how they dressed, acted, etc, was largely based off of the Khlennium culture, because in part, Rashek was jealous of them. So looking at the nobles, we probably have an understanding of their civilization. In addition, I believe it was said that they were probably the most advanced civilization on Scadrial, having achieved, or nearly achieved, gunpowder technologically, which Rashek suppressed as well.

33 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

If I remember correctly, the whole concept of the Nobles, how they dressed, acted, etc, was largely based off of the Khlennium culture, because in part, Rashek was jealous of them. So looking at the nobles, we probably have an understanding of their civilization.

I think I recall something similar too, yes.

34 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I believe it was said that they were probably the most advanced civilization on Scadrial, having achieved, or nearly achieved, gunpowder technologically, which Rashek suppressed as well.

Hey, look what I found!

TYRAN AMIROS (16 OCTOBER 2008)

How technologically advanced was the society before the Final Empire? You reference gunpowder, and certainly the current day seems to have technologies like canning and clocks, so how much did Rashek destroy?

BRANDON SANDERSON (16 OCTOBER 2008)

They had steam technology, and were just about to hit the railroad era. Something near early 1800s in our world

19 minutes ago, Argent said:

I think I recall something similar too, yes.

Hey, look what I found!

HoA Epigraph Chapter 26

I am only just beginning to understand the brilliance of the Lord Ruler's cultural synthesis. One of the benefits afforded him by being both immortal and—for all relevant purposes—omnipotent was a direct and effective influence on the evolution of the Final Empire.

He was able to take elements from a dozen different cultures and apply them to his new, "perfect" society. For instance, the architectural brilliance of the Khlenni builders is manifest in the keeps that the high nobility construct. Khlenni fashion sense—suits for gentlemen, gowns for ladies—is another thing the Lord Ruler decided to appropriate.

I suspect that despite his hatred of the Khlenni people—of whom Alendi was one—Rashek had a deep-seated envy of them as well. The Terris of the time were pastoral herdsmen, the Khlenni cultured cosmopolitans. However ironic, it is logical that Rashek's new empire would mimic the high culture of the people he hated

So nobles were mostly based off of Khlenni.

Interesting about the technology. Looks like they were basically at the AoL level when Rashek broke everything for a millennium. They sure retook it rather quickly.

2 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Interesting about the technology. Looks like they were basically at the AoL level when Rashek broke everything for a millennium. They sure retook it rather quickly.

Harmony helped.

I'm honestly not that interested in the pre-ash world anymore, except for the origins of Feruchemy and the Worldbringers. Possibly Trell as well, but I have a big feeling the ancient Trell has little to do with the current one.

Other than those things, I'm just not sure how many interesting details there are... We know of a bunch or religions from Sazed, but I doubt Brandon did that much worldbuilding for a civilization he never intended to set a story in. It's meant to be lost, you know?

2 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Yeah the technology part is indeed interesting didn't know about that till i read this thread. Well Harmony did leave a verbatim of literally everybook inside his metal minds(some of them where the old technologies which he complained to wax as nobody took advantage off or too slow to build).

I think the progression is actually slow rather than fast even though the entire world was destroyed and remade. Since it's been 300 years and they had no difficulties with food/water+ the centralization thing harmony did (by putting everybody on the same place) yet the technology remained barely ahead of the technology from khlennium BR(before rashek).

10 minutes ago, Eki said:

I'm honestly not that interested in the pre-ash world anymore, except for the origins of Feruchemy and the Worldbringers. Possibly Trell as well, but I have a big feeling the ancient Trell has little to do with the current one.

Other than those things, I'm just not sure how many interesting details there are... We know of a bunch or religions from Sazed, but I doubt Brandon did that much worldbuilding for a civilization he never intended to set a story in. It's meant to be lost, you know?

I think this hits the nail on the head.  I would love to know more about the pre-ascension world (short story about Alendi's quest to the Well of Ascension?), but Brandon has other work he needs to do (PLEASE give us an Elantris or Warbreaker sequel!)

7 hours ago, Eki said:

Maybe regarding Trell. It would seem to me that Trell could well be a shard. Especially given that his religion seemed to have a focus on him being an active part of it. 

Like, Sazed notes that apparently the Nelarzan (?) Beliefs were hard to discount because so much of them boiled down to "ask Trell and he'll answer". 

Don't get me wrong, it could easily have been hijacked.

9 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I dunno. (Shadows of Self)

Spoiler

Sazed certainly seems to think they're going slow

Rashek suppressed a lot of knowledge, but the existence of pocket watches means that there's a good amount of skill in making moving parts. Once the ideas were out there, I think they could build up to complex applications of them faster than we could.fairly quick.

Now, their population was cut down to a very low level by the Catacendre, so fewer inventors, fewer minds to work on and improve things. But they got a lot of the ideas from Sazed. And the old skaa forced labor based economy was completely destroyed, so that wouldn't hold back their modernization.

(The Ancient Romans actually knew of a primitive type of steam engine. Some people have speculated that the reason they didn't industrialize was because of their slave-based economy. I don't know if their metallurgy would really have been up to it, though...)

EDIT: They weren't up to AoL level, maybe 80-100 years away. Early 19th century, pre railroad era probably means 1800-1830; people were experimenting with locomotives all through that time but things really took off in the 1830s. AoL tech is supposed to be ~1910, but behind on electricity, ahead on metallurgy.

Edited by cometaryorbit
spoiler; relative to AoL tech

43 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

I dunno. (Shadows of Self)

Reveal hidden contents

Sazed certainly seems to think they're going slow

They grew too reliant on the bounty Harmony left them and have grown complacent. 

The whole idea of the Southlanders is that they had to go through crisis to advance as they have.

• Chaos locked this topic