The Work of Brandon Sanderson... as Video Games

Quadrophenia

Here's a fun idea for a topic~

Picture your favourite Brandon Sanderson novel (since, after all, this is his official fansite)... as a video game.

Here's how this works. Pitch your favourite novel or novels, then state what video game genre would best fit an adaptation of said property and explain why you think it's the best fit in the first place. Oh, and any details about mechanics or how you'd approach turning any of these worlds from a video game angle would be plenty cool. 

For instance... since neither Warbreaker nor Elantris are as heavily action-oriented as Stormlight Archive or Mistborn, imagine a Telltale-style point and click story game. When you consider Prince Raoden, he's more of an investigative scholar and diplomat than an action hero like Kaladin or Vin, a Walking Dead-esque game would be perfectly suited to exploring a story mechanically in his shoes.

What about you guys, how would you like to see the Sander-man's work adapted into video games?

Seems to me it's on the backburner for the forseeable future. Shame, too. 

love the idea of an inFamous-esque Mistborn game. Dishonored might be the closest thing to a true Mistborn game out there, sure, but Vin fights more like the lovespawn of X-Men's Magneto and Guts the Black Swordsman from Berserk than she does as an assassin. Less sneaky-stabby-stabby, more "OH DEAR GOD A TORNADO OF DEATH!" Plenty of powers and skill trees to unlock, Pushing and Pulling across Luthadel, fighting other Mistings and Mistborn, Inquisitors for bosses, Koloss as exceptionally tougher minions... 

Hell yeah, it could be a lot of fun.

Really, Sanderson should have reached out to CD Projeckt. Imagine their level of polish and effort and detail into something like The Witcher 3 and transplant that to Mistborn? You'd have a winner. 

1 hour ago, Quadrophenia said:

Seems to me it's on the backburner for the forseeable future. Shame, too. 

love the idea of an inFamous-esque Mistborn game. Dishonored might be the closest thing to a true Mistborn game out there, sure, but Vin fights more like the lovespawn of X-Men's Magneto and Guts the Black Swordsman from Berserk than she does as an assassin. Less sneaky-stabby-stabby, more "OH DEAR GOD A TORNADO OF DEATH!" Plenty of powers and skill trees to unlock, Pushing and Pulling across Luthadel, fighting other Mistings and Mistborn, Inquisitors for bosses, Koloss as exceptionally tougher minions... 

Hell yeah, it could be a lot of fun.

Really, Sanderson should have reached out to CD Projeckt. Imagine their level of polish and effort and detail into something like The Witcher 3 and transplant that to Mistborn? You'd have a winner. 

Geralt of Rivia may or may not be my mental template for Vasher.

If we're talking low budget titles, I can make image a version of Bubble Bobble using spheres and Radiant glyphs.

Large budget... Mistborn seems like the obvious choice. I love Warbreaker, and I think it works great as a Sword and Sorcery story, but I don't know if Awakening would lend itself to good game play.

(Excellent visuals. But...dunno if it would work as a hack and slash)

Hmm. Actually... Pokemon Snap or No Man's Sky type game, with the players crossing Roshar to collect information on Spren?

2 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Geralt of Rivia may or may not be my mental template for Vasher.

If we're talking low budget titles, I can make image a version of Bubble Bobble using spheres and Radiant glyphs.

Large budget... Mistborn seems like the obvious choice. I love Warbreaker, and I think it works great as a Sword and Sorcery story, but I don't know if Awakening would lend itself to good game play.

Hmm. Actually... Pokemon Snap or No Man's Sky type game, with the players crossing Roshar to collect information on Spren?

It certainly wouldn't work as an action game but Warbreaker may work for something more towards the Adventure/puzzle genre, with objects to awaken acting as prompts in the game world.

Pokemon Snap sounds good... or Sprenmon Go. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Quiver said:Geralt of Rivia may or may not be my mental template for Vasher.

Sure, there're action sequences in Warbreaker, but the majority of the "action" is all character driven drama and politics and (in Lightsong's case) investigation. To make Warbreaker an action game, you'd have to primarily rely on Vasher as your main protagonist instead of Siri or Vivenna. 

... Which, come to think of it, would be kind of ballin. It'd make for a great stealth action RPG.

A Cosmere crossover fighting game. Beat up Kaladin with Vin, Vivenna with Dalinar, Kenton with Raoden and so on.

Special guests: Alcatraz, The Professor from The Rithmatist who's name I have forgotten and Prof.

Even specialer guests: Gavin Guile, Harry Dresden and Kvothe.

38 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

A Cosmere crossover fighting game. Beat up Kaladin with Vin, Vivenna with Dalinar, Kenton with Raoden and so on.

Special guests: Alcatraz, The Professor from The Rithmatist who's name I have forgotten and Prof.

Even specialer guests: Gavin Guile, Harry Dresden and Kvothe.

Any Dresden Files fan is a friend of mine.

But a Cosmere fighting game? Hell yeah! Szeth vs Marsh, anybody?

What do you think, something more in line with Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Anarchy Reigns...?

10 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

Any Dresden Files fan is a friend of mine.

But a Cosmere fighting game? Hell yeah! Szeth vs Marsh, anybody?

What do you think, something more in line with Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Anarchy Reigns...?

Perfect!

I dont know what I was thinking, really. Anarchy Reins style? A lot of Brandons fights have a lot of mobility and standard 2D fighters really dont... then again that would put the fighters who cant fly at a serious disadvantage...

1 minute ago, Zathoth said:

Perfect!

I dont know what I was thinking, really. Anarchy Reins style? A lot of Brandons fights have a lot of mobility and standard 2D fighters really dont... then again that would put the fighters who cant fly at a serious disadvantage...

What about a more Smash Bros style? Something that equally rewards slow fighters and fast fighters alike. Still 2D, but kinetic and wide enough for full mobile combat.

Just now, Quadrophenia said:

What about a more Smash Bros style? Something that equally rewards slow fighters and fast fighters alike. Still 2D, but kinetic and wide enough for full mobile combat.

We cant use the percentage system in that case, considering all the flying characters and in that case we almost need to wall the arenas in...

36 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

We cant use the percentage system in that case, considering all the flying characters and in that case we almost need to wall the arenas in...

We could always slightly exaggerate certain character abilities, i.e. Vivenna could use scarfs as extended legs Doctor Octopus style, Ham could leap pretty high, etc.

32 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

We could always slightly exaggerate certain character abilities, i.e. Vivenna could use scarfs as extended legs Doctor Octopus style, Ham could leap pretty high, etc.

Actually if the walls are obvious and you cant wallcombo forever it could be pretty cool...

Something like a mix of Smash and an anime fighter?

19 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

Actually if the walls are obvious and you cant wallcombo forever it could be pretty cool...

Something like a mix of Smash and an anime fighter?

I could feel with that.

oooh! What would be some fun combos, special movies and the like for Vin, Vasher, Kaladin...

3 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

I could feel with that.

oooh! What would be some fun combos, special movies and the like for Vin, Vasher, Kaladin...

I made short movesets for some characters in another thread, but hell if I know which one XD

Spoiler warning

Original Mistborn Trilogy

Spoiler

All the Mistborn have similar move-sets. They can fling coins downwards to fly, fire coins, activate atium as a special to dodge everything and so on. Vin however is the fastest and has duralumin to superpower herself for a short burst, Elend has stronger pushes and pulls, but is not as nimble, Kelsier has the spear and Spook, while not having atium, can instead lock down the opponents magical abilities with chromium and put a time bubble around himself as a shield.

Im not sure about Sazed or how to handle feruchemy. One idea is that you need to store attributes during the battle, but you can still tap steel while storing pewter, for example, another is that we ignore how it works all together and Sazed can just become The Hulk, like he did in the fights against the koloss.

Speaking of Koloss we need Koloss, like Human. Large, slow, powerful, carrying one of those huge Koloss blades. He is basically a mix of Ganondorf and Bowser.

I dont know what to do with the Inquisitors, even if I want to add Marsh...

The Lord Ruler is of course a boss character, there is no way we can balance him XD

Otherwise... Kandras?

Era 2

Spoiler

Wax and Wayne are a team, like Ice Climbers. Wayne is the close range attacks, while Wax flies around and shoots from a distance. He also has The Bands as a special.

What else? Bleeder? Mr Suit?

Warbreaker

Spoiler

I feel like I really need to reread Warbreaker because I cant remember much XD

Vasher has the cape and the tangles to strengthen him and increase his range. And Nightblood, of course he has Nightblood.

Im dont know what to do with Vivenna to set her apart from Vasher and make her equally powerful.

Denth and Tonk-Fah could be another team, Ice Climbers style. Maybe Jewels could be a puppet character, with Clod.

Susebron is another boss character.

Elantris

Spoiler

I need to read up on the Aons, but Raoden is a projectile character... and thats all I can think of XD Considering how the magic is broken in most of the book we havent seen enough of it XD

White Sand

Spoiler

I think Kenton could be something like the Mistborn. Flying around, sending ribbons of sand whipping, so on.

Stormlight Archives

Spoiler

Kaladin and Szeth can fly, make things fall the wrong direction, and cut things with their fancy weapons. Szeth is stronger than Kaladin, but Kaladin has all the Radiant perks, like a shape shifting weapon.

Lift slides around and cuts things.

Shallan can use lightweaving to create copies of herself to confuse the opponent (and yourself if you are not careful) and I guess Soulcast things.

Jasnah can teleport and set people on fire from a distance. I know she actually turned the robber into fire, but thats a bit too much.

Adolin is in full shardplate, he might have a stance system based on the ten stances that power him up in different ways (he's really feeling it).

Dalinar is either in shardplate, or we have to wait until the next book to see what his surges do.

16 hours ago, Zathoth said:

I made short movesets for some characters in another thread, but hell if I know which one XD

Spoiler warning

Original Mistborn Trilogy

Reveal hidden contents

All the Mistborn have similar move-sets. They can fling coins downwards to fly, fire coins, activate atium as a special to dodge everything and so on. Vin however is the fastest and has duralumin to superpower herself for a short burst, Elend has stronger pushes and pulls, but is not as nimble, Kelsier has the spear and Spook, while not having atium, can instead lock down the opponents magical abilities with chromium and put a time bubble around himself as a shield.

Im not sure about Sazed or how to handle feruchemy. One idea is that you need to store attributes during the battle, but you can still tap steel while storing pewter, for example, another is that we ignore how it works all together and Sazed can just become The Hulk, like he did in the fights against the koloss.

Speaking of Koloss we need Koloss, like Human. Large, slow, powerful, carrying one of those huge Koloss blades. He is basically a mix of Ganondorf and Bowser.

I dont know what to do with the Inquisitors, even if I want to add Marsh...

The Lord Ruler is of course a boss character, there is no way we can balance him XD

Otherwise... Kandras?

Era 2

Reveal hidden contents

Wax and Wayne are a team, like Ice Climbers. Wayne is the close range attacks, while Wax flies around and shoots from a distance. He also has The Bands as a special.

What else? Bleeder? Mr Suit?

Warbreaker

Reveal hidden contents

I feel like I really need to reread Warbreaker because I cant remember much XD

Vasher has the cape and the tangles to strengthen him and increase his range. And Nightblood, of course he has Nightblood.

Im dont know what to do with Vivenna to set her apart from Vasher and make her equally powerful.

Denth and Tonk-Fah could be another team, Ice Climbers style. Maybe Jewels could be a puppet character, with Clod.

Susebron is another boss character.

Elantris

Reveal hidden contents

I need to read up on the Aons, but Raoden is a projectile character... and thats all I can think of XD Considering how the magic is broken in most of the book we havent seen enough of it XD

White Sand

Reveal hidden contents

I think Kenton could be something like the Mistborn. Flying around, sending ribbons of sand whipping, so on.

Stormlight Archives

Reveal hidden contents

Kaladin and Szeth can fly, make things fall the wrong direction, and cut things with their fancy weapons. Szeth is stronger than Kaladin, but Kaladin has all the Radiant perks, like a shape shifting weapon.

Lift slides around and cuts things.

Shallan can use lightweaving to create copies of herself to confuse the opponent (and yourself if you are not careful) and I guess Soulcast things.

Jasnah can teleport and set people on fire from a distance. I know she actually turned the robber into fire, but thats a bit too much.

Adolin is in full shardplate, he might have a stance system based on the ten stances that power him up in different ways (he's really feeling it).

Dalinar is either in shardplate, or we have to wait until the next book to see what his surges do.

I dig!

So, essentially...

Adolin - Marth

Kaladin - Link, perhaps

Marsh - Ganondorf

Shallan or Jasnah - Zelda or Robin

Szeth - ... Greninja?

Raoden - Robin or a male Zelda

Vasher - ... Hm. Hard to think of a good analogue.

Vin - A more powerful Sheik.

Wax - Fox with more punching power,

Wayne - Roy

3 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

I dig!

So, essentially...

Adolin - Marth

Kaladin - Link, perhaps

Marsh - Ganondorf

Shallan or Jasnah - Zelda or Robin

Szeth - ... Greninja?

Raoden - Robin or a male Zelda

Vasher - ... Hm. Hard to think of a good analogue.

Vin - A more powerful Sheik.

Wax - Fox with more punching power,

Wayne - Roy

Wax and Wayne were Ice Climbers, but you basically got it right.