Speedbubble Thoughts

ScarletSabre

6 minutes ago, Rawrbert said:

But then how would they observe the deflection? If it gets deflected downwards and into the floor within the Speedbubble, unless the safe was made of plexiglass nobody inside the bubble would be able to record it 

If you have initial trajectory (and you have it since you choose it), you know the point it will enter the bubble. If you know the point of entrance and the point it hit the floor, you know hpw ot was deflected. Then you just have to calculate the angle. It's simple.

11 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

If you have initial trajectory (and you have it since you choose it), you know the point it will enter the bubble. If you know the point of entrance and the point it hit the floor, you know hpw ot was deflected. Then you just have to calculate the angle. It's simple.

True.... but that's not nearly as fun, lifethreatening or ridiculous though :D

1 hour ago, Rawrbert said:

But then how would they observe the deflection? If it gets deflected downwards and into the floor within the Speedbubble, unless the safe was made of plexiglass nobody inside the bubble would be able to record it 

You have someone outside the bubble observe it. 

45 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

You have someone outside the bubble observe it. 

Or just put a giant bull's eye (or something else with markings) inside the bubble for the bullets to hit. I wouldn't be too hard to put a gun in a rigid position and line up the bull's eye directly in it's path.

Come to think of it, this experiment would almost certainly have to be done with a Pulser (she can just Pulse for a second and give the scientist a few minutes to shoot a few rounds). From what we've seen from Wayne, when a Slider does his thing, time around stand pretty much still. Giving someone time to carefully fire a gun would require an insane amount of benalloy and also need the Slider to at least bring lunch while hanging out in his bubble...

9 minutes ago, Sarevok said:

Come to think of it, this experiment would almost certainly have to be done with a Pulser

Pulser, if you're shooting at the bubble, Slider if you're shooting out of the bubble.

Of course, a reverse experiment should also be concluded, but it will require a lot more metal.

1 hour ago, bleeder said:

In BoM, when Wax is dancing and Khriss interrupts, after questioning him about his abilities, she mentions something about the lack of redshift involved with speed bubbles. Can anyone clarify or explain that?

She means the fact that if you slow/speed up stuff, you'd expect the photons flying through that bubble (i.e. light and other EM waves) to also speed up or slow down, which should affect their frequencies (red shift), which should make looking out or into a speedbubble at the very least colourshifted, but more likely change the light to somewhere completely different on the EM spectrum (and possibly turn other radiation into visible light), making bubbles possibly impossible to see out of or even kill people in or near with sudden microwave or gamma radiation. Someone with a physics degree could probably explain better. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift

I suspect this is Brandon hanging a lampshade on this fact. It's probably a case where he said "nevermind the actual implications for physics, light working as light needs to happen for the bubbles to work".

Edited by Sarevok

3 hours ago, Sarevok said:

She means the fact that if you slow/speed up stuff, you'd expect the photons flying through that bubble (i.e. light and other EM waves) to also speed up or slow down, which should affect their frequencies (red shift), which should make looking out or into a speedbubble at the very least colourshifted, but more likely change the light to somewhere completely different on the EM spectrum (and possibly turn other radiation into visible light), making bubbles possibly impossible to see out of or even kill people in or near with sudden microwave or gamma radiation. Someone with a physics degree could probably explain better. :)

I suspect this is Brandon hanging a lampshade on this fact. It's probably a case where he said "nevermind the actual implications for physics, light working as light needs to happen for the bubbles to work".

Brandon has hand-waved it a bit, and says the magic compensates a bit with physics when crossing the boundary, the same way why objects don't conserve velocity when they cross the boundary and deflect instead.

8 hours ago, Sarevok said:

Thank you. Your explanation made more sense than the ones I looked up :ph34r:

I think I get it now.

• 2 months later...

In general, a large object going through a time bubble is not going to notice. An object is either in or out, and it depends in part on how the object views itself. People inside the train would be inside of its influence, and wouldn't notice the bubble. The spear would go from one to the other, but would never be in both.

This... this still bugs me with my question on swinging something out of a bubble. If I'm in a speedbubble, holding a stick so it's half out of the bubble, and swing it, what this implies is that one of two things will happen...

A - The stick views itself as being inside the bubble, and will move with the relative blurring speed as the Slider inside. 

or

B - The stick views itself as being outside of the bubble, and will move with the same slowness as those outside, no matter how hard the Slider tries to force it to move faster.

40 minutes ago, Rawrbert said:

This... this still bugs me with my question on swinging something out of a bubble. If I'm in a speedbubble, holding a stick so it's half out of the bubble, and swing it, what this implies is that one of two things will happen...

A - The stick views itself as being inside the bubble, and will move with the relative blurring speed as the Slider inside. 

or

B - The stick views itself as being outside of the bubble, and will move with the same slowness as those outside, no matter how hard the Slider tries to force it to move faster.

A would probably happen, unless the stick is really large, in which case it would probably pull the one holding it out of the bubble as well.

Edit: And while A seems like it would allow an exploit (hitting someone with a very fast stick to kill him), I suspect the moment you hit someone outside of the bubble with he stick, that person would either get pulled into the bubble or the person waving the stick would get pulled out. Either way, the impact of the very fast stick would feel like an impact of a normally swung stick to the one on the receiving end.

Edited by randuir
A wild exploit appears.

16 minutes ago, randuir said:

A would probably happen, unless the stick is really large, in which case it would probably pull the one holding it out of the bubble as well.

Edit: And while A seems like it would allow an exploit (hitting someone with a very fast stick to kill him), I suspect the moment you hit someone outside of the bubble with he stick, that person would either get pulled into the bubble or the person waving the stick would get pulled out. Either way, the impact of the very fast stick would feel like an impact of a normally swung stick to the one on the receiving end.

That's why my original idea was to have the stick be a spear or sword, just something with an edge at the end.

If you can move with relative blinding speed and see your foe moving in slow motion, a swipe across the neck with a spear etc when they're in range should be pretty exploitable as an instakill.

Edited by Rawrbert
Run on sentences.. my nemesis!

@RawrbertThat would probably work, though only as part of an assassination attempt, as it would require you to get close to an unaware target (and being that close, you might as well unload a pistol in him, given that the bubble doesn't deflect bullets by that much, as shown in shadows of self). Any other kind of target would know to keep their distance from the crazy dude with a sword.

• Chaos locked this topic