Food. Food. Food. And spreads

Darkness Ascendant

9 minutes ago, Delightful said:

I make cookies with whole wheat flour and raw sugar. They are delicious.

I had too many Twimom cookies made with more whole wheat flour than the recipe called for, and whole wheat waffles, and whole wheat pancakes, and muffins, and pizza crust, and everything else you can stuff whole wheat flour into. Give me nice unhealthy white flour any day. :ph34r: 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I had too many Twimom cookies made with more whole wheat flour than the recipe called for, and whole wheat waffles, and whole wheat pancakes, and muffins, and everything else you can stuff whole wheat flour into. Give me nice unhealthy white flour any day. :ph34r: 

I am offend that you would compare my cookies to Twimom's!

I use a normal recipe and replace exact amounts of white flour for whole wheat. not extras and no MUST BE HEALTHY RA RA RA IM PROVING IM A HEALTHY PERSON JUST LOOK AT MY STATUS SYMBOL. Just slightly better for you deliciousness. 

4 minutes ago, Delightful said:

I am offend that you would compare my cookies to Twimom's!

I use a normal recipe and replace exact amounts of white flour for whole wheat. not extras and no MUST BE HEALTHY RA RA RA IM PROVING IM A HEALTHY PERSON JUST LOOK AT MY STATUS SYMBOL. Just slightly better for you deliciousness. 

Didn't mean to compare; just saying that Twimom kinda burnt me out on whole wheat flour. 

Home made cookies are best cookies. 

This is a truth that all must know. Make your own cookies, or have a kind and loving friend/relative make them for you.  You won't look back.  

Home made cookies fresh out of the oven? 

I just ate dinner and am salivating thinking about it. 

Man - my mother is a fantastic baker. We have a long tradition of Christmas baking: we'll make hundreds upon hundreds of cookies and squares in the Christmas season. 

I'm excited for it :D 

• 2 weeks later...

I made a big pot of chili con carne the other night. Turned out pretty great, even if I forgot to blender the tomatoes to get rid of the chunks. The worst part is always chopping the onion; I had to stop about 2/3 the way through to take a break because my eyes were starting to sting.

14 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

I made a big pot of chili con carne the other night. Turned out pretty great, even if I forgot to blender the tomatoes to get rid of the chunks. The worst part is always chopping the onion; I had to stop about 2/3 the way through to take a break because my eyes were starting to sting.

I haven't bought whole onions since I moved out. I just get the freeze-dried chopped onions and use those in recipes because I hate chopping them so much. :ph34r: 

I haven't bought whole onions since I moved out. I just get the freeze-dried chopped onions and use those in recipes because I hate chopping them so much. :ph34r: 

Ooh, that sounds like a good idea. Do you have to thaw them or soak them in water or anything before they're ready to cook with?

They're dried and shelf-stable, so no thawing. I don't soak them in water and they seem to work just fine. 

Awesome, thanks! I will write that down for next time I need to cook with onions. :)

You have pre-prepared onions in America o.O its amazing how many little differences there are between Europe/Poland and US... it seems first that its all the same, just with different units of measurement  and then you hear there are onions that are already cut...

I'd still cut them myself, I prefer my vegetables fresh and juicy :P

1 hour ago, mattig89ch said:

For what its worth, I agree.  But why are pre-cut vegies shocking?

Hard to say why it shocked me... Maybe because it's a simple thing that we don't have. There is no practical reason why we don't have it. I'm sure someone somewhere tried to sell those, but people preferred to prepare their own vegetables by themselves. Or maybe it's because "why would you need to have them already cut and dried, when cutting an onion manually takes like 2 minutes (and I assume it has better/stronger taste)". 

I wonder what other surprising things I would find if I went to grocery shop in USA :) And what you'd find surprising in Europe...

31 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

I wonder what other surprising things I would find if I went to grocery shop in USA :) And what you'd find surprising in Europe...

A lot. I did once find Jammy Dodgers, though, at my local Food City (generic southern supermarket store), and they were amazing. 

Wait, Mestiv, define surprising. What to you would be surprising?

Edited by bleeder

@bleeder I was surprised there exists cheese in spray cans. It's really hard to think about something that would be surprising. If I can think of it, then it's not that surprising...

I was surprised that in some states you can buy machine guns in local supermarkets :P 

2 hours ago, mattig89ch said:

For what its worth, I agree.  But why are pre-cut vegies shocking?

And a creamy potato soup sounds awesome.  I've never thought to make a shepherds pie in a slow cooker before, I imagine my outcome would be very similar to yours.

I've done it successfully before; I think I just screwed up the potato-to-gravy ratio this time. Though it was still tasty, so I won't count it as a cooking fail.

55 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Hard to say why it shocked me... Maybe because it's a simple thing that we don't have. There is no practical reason why we don't have it. I'm sure someone somewhere tried to sell those, but people preferred to prepare their own vegetables by themselves. Or maybe it's because "why would you need to have them already cut and dried, when cutting an onion manually takes like 2 minutes (and I assume it has better/stronger taste)". 

Onions are the only vegetable I buy pre-cut (unless you count frozen corn) and that's only because I hate chopping them so much. Every time I do, I cry so hard I lose my mascara and can hardly see the cutting board. It takes me a while to recover, too.

With all other vegetables, I agree that fresh is better. I actually wince when I see jars of minced garlic on the shelf because fresh garlic is so good and so easy to get.

2 hours ago, Mestiv said:

@bleeder I was surprised there exists cheese in spray cans. It's really hard to think about something that would be surprising. If I can think of it, then it's not that surprising...

I was surprised that in some states you can buy machine guns in local supermarkets :P 

Dude, Easy Cheese is the best. I once went through a whole can in less than a week.

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Just the thought of spray cheese makes me sick to my stomach. Once you taste that stuff, you never forget it. Ever. 

That's true. But it's not bad on crackers. 

I love school lunch. We get an hour to just do whatever (We don't even have to eat if we don't wanna). I just sit around in the science pod (the big area where all the science classes are---my school's layout is weird) with my friends and make jokes or look at memes or read or play guitar. One time I fell asleep on the floor. 

What to do so that you won't cry while cutting onions:

1. Use a really sharp knife, a Shardknife if you can; the crying substance comes out when the onion is smashed and that's what happens when the knife is not sharp enough
  2. Alternatively, use a diving mask

5 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

What to do so that you won't cry while cutting onions:

1. Use a really sharp knife, a Shardknife if you can; the crying substance comes out when the onion is smashed and that's what happens when the knife is not sharp enough
  2. Alternatively, use a diving mask

3. Do not form any emotional attachement  to the onion you cut :P

20 hours ago, Sunbird said:

Cut off both ends first, and rinse it under water while peeling the outside. That usually gets rid of most of the teariness, enough that chopping them is bearable.

16 hours ago, Mestiv said:

You have pre-prepared onions in America o.O its amazing how many little differences there are between Europe/Poland and US... it seems first that its all the same, just with different units of measurement  and then you hear there are onions that are already cut...

I'd still cut them myself, I prefer my vegetables fresh and juicy :P

11 hours ago, Mestiv said:

I'm also surprised by pre-chopped onions. And spray cheese. Ugh. That just sounds awful and 99% chemicals.