Weird things about yourself

5 minutes ago, bleeder said:

I'll bring the Subversive Radio Host! Me!

4 minutes ago, bleeder said:

I'll bring the Subversive Radio Host! Me!

Night Vale episode 19

Spoiler

Great, who let the sandstorm in? Anyway, I don't want blood all over my snow, because of your double buisness, so I'm taking only one of you and I'm taking the one that's not smiling. Got it?

16 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I am fascinated by Antarctica and want to visit. :mellow: 

Fun fact: Antarctica is being used as the world's largest neutrino detector.

Basically, how it works is that when a neutrino hits an electron just right, that electron starts moving through the water/ice. But, since it's moving through water at a speed faster than the speed of light in water, it creates the equivalent of a sonic boom (known as Cherenkov radiation), but for light. There's a research station in Antarctica that's just dedicated to the detection of neutrinos and muons.

17 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Tour guide-Aaaaaaaaaand here we have some ice, oh look, a glacier.

Me- Isn't that just floating ice?

Tour guide- OH LOOK A PENGUIN, WAVE AT THE PENGUINS PEOPLE.

Actually, glaciers are on land. It's icebergs that float.

/pedanticnerd

I may have slept from midnight 'til about 11 AM. Oops? 

Now I have Elton John's "Your Song" stuck in my head.

EDIT: I found my "Elton John's Greatest Hits" album. I am now listening to "Your Song" on my record player. 

Edited by bleeder

Has anyone else fired up an old game, and realized how much soul it had compared to a newer game?

I'm playing freelancer atm and its just astounding to me, how much time, effort, energy, and creativity that game has.  Then compare it to another game of modern make, and the newer game seems to homogenous and/or bland by comparison.  The newer game isn't bad, but it doesn't take as many risks, or have to overcome as many challenges in creative ways.

1 hour ago, mattig89ch said:

Has anyone else fired up an old game, and realized how much soul it had compared to a newer game?

I'm playing freelancer atm and its just astounding to me, how much time, effort, energy, and creativity that game has.  Then compare it to another game of modern make, and the newer game seems to homogenous and/or bland by comparison.  The newer game isn't bad, but it doesn't take as many risks, or have to overcome as many challenges in creative ways.

I know what you mean, a fairly large number of AAA games feel pretty shallow or formulaic. But with that said I think there were always a lot of bland/formulaic games, we just don't remember them much. I think there are considerably more interesting, deep and wildly diverse games coming out now than any time in the past. (Though there is certainly a lot of garbage coming out too of course :P )

I do wish there was more innovation and risk-taking amongst AAA studios (though I understand why there isn't) but there is a wealth of it amongst AA and Indie devs.

Edit: I can recommend a pile of games from the past few years that are particularly good (or interesting) if you'd like?

Edited by Claincy

1 hour ago, Claincy said:

I know what you mean, a fairly large number of AAA games feel pretty shallow or formulaic. But with that said I think there were always a lot of bland/formulaic games, we just don't remember them much. I think there are considerably more interesting, deep and wildly diverse games coming out now than any time in the past. (Though there is certainly a lot of garbage coming out too of course :P )

I do wish there was more innovation and risk-taking amongst AAA studios (though I understand why there isn't) but there is a wealth of it amongst AA and Indie devs.

Edit: I can recommend a pile of games from the past few years that are particularly good (or interesting) if you'd like?

Always willing to listen to game recommendations.  I can't make any promises to actually buy them ofc, but I'll give them a look.

And what deep games are coming out now?  I must be missing them.

3 hours ago, mattig89ch said:

Always willing to listen to game recommendations.  I can't make any promises to actually buy them ofc, but I'll give them a look.

And what deep games are coming out now?  I must be missing them.

Sure, I'll list a bunch of games that from my experience and/or knowledge are good, or at least interesting and worth looking into. This'll be (at least largely) games that came out sometime in the past 4-5 years, I'm sure you'll know a bunch of them but maybe not all. I'll start with the bigger brand games and then do a list of Indie/smaller devs.

I'm not going to go into detail about each cos I don't have that much free time right now :) But I'm happy to go into detail about any specific ones you want me to.

Spoiler

Dishonored - One of my favourite games. Dishonored 2 comes out soon.
Forza Horizon 3
The Witcher 3
Deus Ex Human Revolution & Mankind Divided
XCOM Enemy Unknown & XCOM 2
Spec Ops: The Line
Assassins Creed: Black Flag
Bioshock Infinite, Burial at sea part 2 - The main game and Burial at Sea part 1 are both good but part 2 is substantially better
Telltale games, basically anything they made recently
Overwatch
Hearthstone
Titanfall
Warframe
Borderlands 2
Far Cry 3 or 4
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Civilization V
Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor
Mass Effect 3
Evolve
Fallout 4
Tomb Raider
Dark Souls & Bloodborne
The Last of Us
Uncharted 4
Mirror's Edge
Dying Light

Halo 5 Forge

Spoiler

Bastion
Transistor
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Thomas Was Alone
This War of Mine
Ark: Survival Evolved
Rust
Moirai - It's free and takes 10 minutes to play, try not to read anything about it to avoid spoiling it
FTL
One Finger Death Punch
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Stardew Valley
Perspective
SUPERHOT
A Dark Room
Don't Starve
Trine
Terraria
Super Meat Boy
Bit.Trip Runner
Antichamber
The Witness
Guns of Icarus Online
Frozen Synapse
Gunpoint
Legend of Grimrock
Mark of the Ninja
Invisible Inc
Magicka
One Way Heroics
Papers Please
Race the Sun
Risk of Rain
Space Engineers
SpeedRunners
Spelunky
Super Hexagon
Surgeon Simulator
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
The Jackbox Party Pack
To the Moon
Rogue Legacy
Valley
Firewatch
Ori and the Blind Forest
Exanima
That Dragon, Cancer
Darkest Dungeon
Hyper Light Drifter
The Talos Principle
Armello
CodeSpells
Fallen London
Sunless Sea
Hand of Fate
Her Story

This is certainly not an extensive list, but hopefully there is something in there that you'll like.

I'd also recommend watching the youtube series James Recommends by Extra Credits, there's some overlap with the list above but there are plenty that I didn't put on that list. Not all of the games are "good" but they are all at least interesting in some way :) You could also try the Games You Might Not Have Tried Extra Credits videos. 

Edited by Claincy

• Chaos locked this topic