Trans Oceanic Knowledge Exchange

Kaymyth

I find it amusing that we had a page long converastion on cheese.

I also find it very funny that just as I am after four glasses of wine the conversation shifted to wine :P Anyway, those fancy names usually indicate the region the wine was made in (usually the region takes name after the nearby castle) and/or the grape types.

There are sour, half-sour, half-sweet and sweet wines. Another (separate) classification is white/pink/red. And there are also flavors and.. things. I'm not a wine nerd, although I wish I was one xD

Anyway, my family makes our own, homemade wine. Usually from sour cherries, sweet cherries, raspberries and few other things. There are bottles stacked everywhere in the garage and few other rooms.
Last year we tried making wine out of grapes and it came out great (we make sweet wines, or half-sweet if something goes wrong :lol:). Now we decided to print our own labels. I'll upload a photo when we'll have it done.

BTW, making your own wine is pretty simple. I think it could be one of the simplest alcohol beverages to make. If somebody is interested, I say try. It doesn't require any secret knowledge or high tech tools.

Wine is really nice. I don't know enough about it, but I'm definitely a wine/scotch guy, whereas I just don't get beer. 

I've had beer, but I don't get it. It doesn't make sense to me. It's not tasty, not really satisfying, and not particularly alcoholic. So you don't drink it for taste, for that indefinable feeling of satisfaction you get from a good wine (with a good meal), nor does it make sense to drink in order to get drunk (it's terribly inefficient to that end). 

Wine is tasty, satisfying, and is great with a classy dinner.

I once had a fine Glenfiddich scotch at my brother in-laws bachelors party. It was like drinking a delicious, smooth and smoky oak wood fire. That was fantastic. Haven't been able to recapture that feeling since though :/

(Please note: I have drunk alcohol, but interestingly enough I've never really gotten drunk. I don't like losing control, and there's the frequent biblical admonitions to avoid drunkenness, so I don't tend to drink to get drunk. Mildly buzzed, maybe, but not actually drunk. So that maybe colours my opinion on beer?)

Oh, but beer is wonderful! You got so many varieties with different tastes! The IPAs, The lagers, various ales, stouts, porters...beer is great!

Like wine, you have your spectrum of quality. Just as you have your box wine, you have your garbage beer... Like Bud Light or really most of the incredibly available beers. 

@Oversleep, someone downvoted u, so I took the liberty to upvote u :/ why someone would do that? idk

(copying sunbird)

<-- is a muslim

<-- knows basically nothing about coffee, tea, or alcohol

Down here, "we" all drink VB (victoria bitter), as well as other brands like Pure Blonde or Tooheys, funnily enough I know about the alcohol making process, however useless the information is to me.

As for coffee and tea, those i know quite alot about, I love to make the occasional "cuppa", whether it be for myself or my parents. My parents don't like the tea I make(tastes fine to me), but they love my coffee, I like to experiment with different brands. I sometimes even attempt at making those weird pictures in the froth. I also like making hot chocolate, with cad bury chocolate powder, which tastes just as good as any barista made hot choc

<- is an atheist

<- still doesn't know anything about coffee or alcohol :P

I simply don't like the taste of anything containing alcohol or coffee.

Anyway, I was curious, why do Americans, living somewhere where tornadoes are quite common, don't build hoses that are more wind-proof? I know that it's quite hard to build something that would withstand a tornado, but still, what I've seen in movies or TV reports after tornadoes, the houses build there have super thin walls. They look like if they were build so light, that a big car would be able to drive through them without slowing down. Wouldn't it be better to make a house using solid bricks and concrete, that would at least have a chance to survive the tornado?

12 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

@Oversleep, someone downvoted u, so I took the liberty to upvote u :/ why someone would do that? idk

Thanks. No idea why somebody did this. Maybe it was a mislick?

Anyway, to keep the meme alive:

<- is Catholic
<- drinks coffee out of necessity (it doesn't interact well with me, and let's just leave it at that)
<- drinks black/Earl grey mixture tea
<- actively pursues knowledge about various alcohol beverages

I mean, it's not that I am a drunk or something. I do drink, but I always do it reasonably. Also, the history, traditions and culture of alcohol is just interesting. Not to mention making your own tinctures and wines. I'm that guy who has proper kinds of glasses for various kinds of alcohol.

@Mestiv I have no answer to your tornado question. A few years back my dad had a job offer that would've required us to move to Oklahoma, which is part of Tornado Alley, so my mom spent some time online looking at homes for sale in the area, and like NONE of them had basements. This trend totally baffled us both, since underground is the best place to weather a tornado. 

2 hours ago, Sunbird said:

@Mestiv I have no answer to your tornado question. A few years back my dad had a job offer that would've required us to move to Oklahoma, which is part of Tornado Alley, so my mom spent some time online looking at homes for sale in the area, and like NONE of them had basements. This trend totally baffled us both, since underground is the best place to weather a tornado. 

http://www.npr.org/2013/05/22/186082385/basements-not-an-option-for-many-homes-in-oklahoma

10 hours ago, Mestiv said:

Anyway, I was curious, why do Americans, living somewhere where tornadoes are quite common, don't build hoses that are more wind-proof? I know that it's quite hard to build something that would withstand a tornado, but still, what I've seen in movies or TV reports after tornadoes, the houses build there have super thin walls. They look like if they were build so light, that a big car would be able to drive through them without slowing down. Wouldn't it be better to make a house using solid bricks and concrete, that would at least have a chance to survive the tornado?

The reason that seems most intuitive to me is that thin walls are easier to rebuild.  Like, if you build your brick house and then it gets destroyed relatively often, you're wasting a lot of resources building and rebuilding that brick house.  So naturally, you build it out of thinner, cheaper and quicker materials which serve fairly well at functioning as a house but require a lot less resources to replace in the event of a tornado or something therelike.

But that's given I haven't done much research on the matter so really don't quote me on that.

1 minute ago, Delightful said:

The real question is, why choose to live somewhere where tornadoes are common at all?

Early land-grabs result in ancestry in an area leading to stubborness about leaving.  Also built up infrastructure giving an incentive to stay.

Also because some people are just weird.

34 minutes ago, Delightful said:

The real question is, why choose to live somewhere where tornadoes are common at all?

Thing is, it's hard to find an area of the US where you aren't at risk of some natural disaster or extreme weather pattern. Oklahoma, Kansas, and the rest of those states have tornadoes. The Northeast, Southeast and Gulf Coasts have hurricanes and a risk of flooding. California and the Pacific Northwest have earthquakes. Arizona has dust storms (or "haboobs") and extreme heat. States like Wyoming, Minnesota and North Dakota are likely to host a blizzard now and then. So it's not really a matter of "Is there a place I can live where Mother Nature won't try to kill me?" and more a matter of "What threats from the natural world can I live with and prepare for?" 

12 hours ago, AliasSheep said:

I don't know a lot about alcohol, coffee, tea or hot chocolate

but, man, can I tell you about mixing soda water and squash to create less sugary imitations of popular fizzy drinks

Can you? That sounds interesting. 

What is rain like in other places? Here in Florida we have clear skies that suddenly start pouring rain for ten minutes and then stop and go back to clear skies again, but my understanding is that this doesn't really happen other places.