On 10/16/2016 at 3:23 AM, Zathoth said:

Oh yes, compared to fantastic first generation pokemon such as Voltorb, Exeggcute, Magmar, Magnemite or Jynx.

I thought magnamite and magnaton were really cool as a kid. Still do.

As for which game I am getting I might get sun since it seems my two friends are getting moon. For starters am leaning towards rowlett but with one friend set on litten and the other set on rowlett I might go team selki and choose popplio.

Breed and trade my brothers!

• 2 weeks later...

Two hours into Pokemon Sun, and I realized that I have no idea what the level curve in these games is anymore.

I'm at the trainer school, and my Popplio is my highest level Pokemon at 10 (with some guys behind him at the 6-10 mark). Is that too high? Too low? 

(Also, I need to find the Pokemon renamer, stat. Aside from him, though, gonna try and play this game as clean as possible.)

30 minutes ago, AnanasSpren said:

Have yet to buy sun/moon, gonna get a preowned X and AS first. With levelling, I usually go by the surrounding g wild pokemon; if I'm either same or a few higher, then I would say you're fine

Considering how I one-shot the Kahuna's pokemon, I think I might have gone too far. :mellow:

Then again, I had type advantage on my side, so... :ph34r:

I just started and I am having fun with it, but it is a little too easy and I am missing having to get lost. Stop putting marks on my map and just let me wander around, trying to find out where to go for half an hour, please.

I could do it when I was 8 without knowing any english, I can do it now, so can modern 8 year olds if you just give them the chance.

49 minutes ago, Ookla the Archer said:

Considering how I one-shot the Kahuna's pokemon, I think I might have gone too far. :mellow:

Then again, I had type advantage on my side, so... :ph34r:

Haha type advantage usually does that xD I more or less one shotted all of OR gym leaders

1 hour ago, Ooklasaurus said:

I just started and I am having fun with it, but it is a little too easy and I am missing having to get lost. Stop putting marks on my map and just let me wander around, trying to find out where to go for half an hour, please.

I could do it when I was 8 without knowing any english, I can do it now, so can modern 8 year olds if you just give them the chance.

Exp Share might be helping with the ease of difficulty. I appreciate not have to grind, but Popplio became Brionne and I used him maybe in a dozen fights? 

1 hour ago, AnanasSpren said:

Haha type advantage usually does that xD I more or less one shotted all of OR gym leaders

OR=Omega Ruby?

Honestly, I'm digging this game. I like Team Skull, and the whole tone is...

Alola feels like a unique region. The last game I really finished was Ruby, and while Kanto, Johto and Hoenn had their differences, they didn't feel as diverse or immersion as Alola. 

Honestly, I'm considering treating this as a straight up role-playing game for a change. I'll probably finish Sun to get a feel for it, then restart and do a Let's Play-style RP of the game on a second run through, because it feels like that would be fun.

14 minutes ago, Ookla the Archer said:

Exp Share might be helping with the ease of difficulty. I appreciate not have to grind, but Popplio became Brionne and I used him maybe in a dozen fights?

Honestly, I'm digging this game. I like Team Skull, and the whole tone is...

Alola feels like a unique region. The last game I really finished was Ruby, and while Kanto, Johto and Hoenn had their differences, they didn't feel as diverse or immersion as Alola. 

Honestly, I'm considering treating this as a straight up role-playing game for a change. I'll probably finish Sun to get a feel for it, then restart and do a Let's Play-style RP of the game on a second run through, because it feels like that would be fun.

I turned mine off, but it still feels too easy.

I agree, Alola is my favorite region so far, it is just cozier somehow.

I would still appreciate if I could get lost...

4 minutes ago, Ooklasaurus said:

I turned mine off, but it still feels too easy.

I agree, Alola is my favorite region so far, it is just cozier somehow.

I would still appreciate if I could get lost...

Ah. Well, I'm guessing that dividing by islands maybe affected the gameplay difficulty? Hopefully get harder going on...

So far as getting lost...I like having the question marks in theory. They are nice little map markers for when you turn on the game and forget what you were meant to be doing. :ph34r:

It would be nice if they didn't trigger cutscenes, though. It does drive the pace forward a lot; I felt like exploring after I finished the first Grand Trial meant I was plating the game wrong.

32 minutes ago, Ookla the Archer said:

Ah. Well, I'm guessing that dividing by islands maybe affected the gameplay difficulty? Hopefully get harder going on...

So far as getting lost...I like having the question marks in theory. They are nice little map markers for when you turn on the game and forget what you were meant to be doing. :ph34r:

It would be nice if they didn't trigger cutscenes, though. It does drive the pace forward a lot; I felt like exploring after I finished the first Grand Trial meant I was plating the game wrong.

It is possible, Im only on the second island.

Well, yes, but there are better ways to jog your memory than to give you map markers. I prefer getting lost.

It is kind of narrative, but the exploration and adventuring is what I like about Pokemon, it doesnt feel the same if the game is holding your hand all the time.

From my experience, it does get harder later on, yes, but it depends a lot on how you play. I did try to dilute my experience points a bit by switching in multiple party members (still had the exp share on), and I didn't really choose team members to balance out my weaknesses, so maybe it will be different for you. I also tried not to use any items in important battles, which worked until the very last battle. I would not have gotten through that one without items (though partially because I missed some really important hits, but that's Stone Edge for you). There was one other reason why that particular battle was difficult for me:

Spoiler

My team was pretty rock weak, and the opponent starts off the battle with Stealth Rock. Ouch. Half my team lost 25% health at every switch-in.

I only really lost once that I remember... but the reason was pretty hilarious

Spoiler

I didn't know / had forgotten what Mimikyu's ability was, and used up my Z-power attack on the decoy... And promptly got Play Rough'd to death.

Also, a potentially very important PSA about what happens after just beating the game (obvious spoilers, but I tried to avoid specific details):

Spoiler

You'll face off against a legendary Pokémon, without any chance to save between the final battle and that one. However, if you faint it, it WILL come back if you return to the same place, and from what I understand, it WILL be soft resettable for your preferred nature. So it's not as harsh as you might think, but the game also doesn't TELL you that it isn't as harsh as you might think. Until afterwards, anyway.

Time to do post-game stuff, breeding, and to fill out the Pokédex!

Edit: Also, does anyone know what determines if a wild Pokémon that visits your Poké Pelago decides to stay? Because a shiny Lapras just showed up for me, and none of the earlier visitors seem to have stayed...

Edited by Eki

I made a mistake.

I thought the first Grand Trial gave you pokemon loyalty up to level 35. I'm starting to fight enemy who are pushing level 40, however so obviously I must have misread it.

The problem is, I swapped my core team out as soon as they hit that level. :mellow: So, my guys are now slightly underlevelled...which isn't good when I'm already wasting a spot on my team to try and raise another pokemon to their level.

Fortunately, my Primarina has been in the party from the start, and is starting towards level 50. He's carrying the team. :ph34r:

Yeah, it's kinda weird. In games that mention that mechanic, they usually mention it after every gym that ups the level, but in SM they only mention it after the first Grand Trial. I don't even know if the limit goes up after every Grand Trial or not.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure it only applies to traded Pokémon, so ones you've caught or hatched yourself should obey anyway. But I dunno, the games are always balanced in a way that makes it really hard to go past those levels in a normal playthrough.

2 hours ago, AnanasSpren said:

Slight deviation, but does anyo e have a mudkip to trade/be general trading partner for my OR? The PSS is so...annoying and the GTS is unrealistic and limiting

*Boots up Pokemon X*

*Opens computer*

*Sees two mudkips*

It's level 1, but thats ok, right?

@Zathoth For my fellow Cthulhu cultist, ofc :)

EDIT: Nvm on the mudkip front! though I still need a trading partner, everyling is asking for 'daries just for basic or slightly harder evolutions -.-

Edited by AnanasSpren

On 12/18/2016 at 1:32 PM, AnanasSpren said:

@Zathoth For my fellow Cthulhu cultist, ofc :)

EDIT: Nvm on the mudkip front! though I still need a trading partner, everyling is asking for 'daries just for basic or slightly harder evolutions -.-

It's much easier to deposit your own Pokémon and wait, unfortunately. Version exclusives and rare Pokémon like Mareanie tend to go fast, and are easy to breed once you get a single one. Because of how ridiculous most GTS requests are, most fair trades tend to get accepted fairly quickly. Sometimes not though.

(On a completely unrelated note, does anyone want a Regenerator Mareanie with Haze? I have over two boxes.)

1 minute ago, bleeder said:

I am thoroughly enjoying Moon. With the customization and depth, it's amazing.

But I have one question for you guys: is it "a-LOW-luh" or "a-LOH-lah"? 

Well, it's based on "Aloha", so... Like that. Whichever that one is.

Though I guess you could also follow whichever pronunciation they use in the anime. Whichever that one is.