Why do people on Roshar age so well?

asterion137

I doubt they could heal a cold because 

Spoiler

Gold healing doesn't work on it. The symptoms are healing while tapping gold, but return afterwards. Possibly due to the nature of viruses. 

Since all cosmere healing is based on the same principle I don't think the healing surge would work. 

And the problem with the common cold is how quickly it mutates. Heal one strain and there is another. 

Part of why we can handle colds is because we are adapted to it. As are our immune systems. There do not seem to be many illnesses on Roshar; therefore immune systems are likely not as strong. And if the cold doesn't exist then neither do adaptations to manage it. People who are immune compromised can get very sick or die from colds.

Now imagine a world where everyone is immune compromised. All of a sudden one the most virulent, air born, mutating viruses is introduced. A plague is just the beginning. Or should be; I'd be really unhappy if it doesn't.

Fortunately for Roshar, the Purelake seems to be fairly isolated. And it's possible the virus can't survive the high storms. On the other hand, SOMEONE has managed to get the word out...

So much for non interference.

48 minutes ago, Crucible of Shards said:

It has also been confirmed that Roshar has a higher level of oxygen than earth. Could that potentially be a factor for why Rosharans age well?

Aging is essentially oxidation of the cell structure at a faster rate than the body can compensate for. Yes we need oxygen to survive, but oxygen is very good at breaking things down.

A higher oxygen level would make people more inherently fit as it would be more difficult to use up the oxygen in your blood, but if it had an effect on the aging process, it would most likely make them age faster. 

I doubt Rosharans are that different from us. Yes, their eye color genetics are weird, but I doubt that means anything deeper about their genetics - that's probably tied to Investiture and/or spiritual DNA, overwriting the normal eye color genetics (which isn't a simple dominant/recessive thing even on Earth, as shown by how many eye colors there actually are).

If the increased Investiture is enough to protect Rosharans from most diseases, it's probably enough to extend life a bit / make aging a bit more graceful.

And, yeah, late fifties or so isn't that old even on Earth.

On 3/8/2017 at 6:10 PM, maxal said:

are we going to see Dalinar's armies be depopulated by the sickness? Will this be Renarin's great break-through? Managing to heal people from the cold?

I doubt it. I don't think this is something like smallpox coming to the New World or measles in the Pacific Islands - I think it's still just a cold, not life-threatening. But Rosharans who haven't ever felt sick before are panicking - they don't know it's not serious, and it's a new and frightening thing.

15 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

I doubt it. I don't think this is something like smallpox coming to the New World or measles in the Pacific Islands - I think it's still just a cold, not life-threatening. But Rosharans who haven't ever felt sick before are panicking - they don't know it's not serious, and it's a new and frightening thing.

From the WoB I mentioned on the previous page "its a plague of the sniffles." So you are correct in that it isn't deadly, but they don't know that yet.

17 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

Often, it isn't the cold which causes death, but secondary infections contracted out of reduced immunity while having the cold. In 1918, during the Spanish Flu epidemic, the highest mortality rate was among the young adults, the age group which typically has the highest chance of surviving diseases. At the turn of the century, however, they died. Why? Their immune system was so vigorous it over-reacted to the virus which caused several organs failure. Even if the poor people end up surviving the first week, they often did it in such a weaken state, they later succumbed to additional infections such as pneumonia. Again, young adults were the worst one as their young age meant reduced immunity towards other viruses as opposed to older people whom had likely survived many already. Without antibiotics, people were just doomed.

Thus, if the cold hits Alethkar, I would expect the mortality rate to be fairly high, especially among the young adults. They have no immunity towards any related disease, they hardly get sick at all.... I say it will awful if it happens. 

Also, the cold is very life-threatening: people die every year from the cold, just not as much as before. Antibiotics have changed everything, but they don't have it on Roshar. They don't have penicillin nor aspirin: they have cold water and prayers which isn't much.

19 hours ago, maxal said:

Often, it isn't the cold which causes death, but secondary infections contracted out of reduced immunity while having the cold. In 1918, during the Spanish Flu epidemic, the highest mortality rate was among the young adults, the age group which typically has the highest chance of surviving diseases. At the turn of the century, however, they died. Why? Their immune system was so vigorous it over-reacted to the virus which caused several organs failure. Even if the poor people end up surviving the first week, they often did it in such a weaken state, they later succumbed to additional infections such as pneumonia. Again, young adults were the worst one as their young age meant reduced immunity towards other viruses as opposed to older people whom had likely survived many already. Without antibiotics, people were just doomed.

Thus, if the cold hits Alethkar, I would expect the mortality rate to be fairly high, especially among the young adults. They have no immunity towards any related disease, they hardly get sick at all.... I say it will awful if it happens. 

Also, the cold is very life-threatening: people die every year from the cold, just not as much as before. Antibiotics have changed everything, but they don't have it on Roshar. They don't have penicillin nor aspirin: they have cold water and prayers which isn't much.

They do have the strengthening effects of Stormlight, which might take a chunk out of that fatality rate.  

EDIT: In addition to any Truthwatchers or Edgedancers that happen to be around.

Edited by Landis963

8 hours ago, Landis963 said:

They do have the strengthening effects of Stormlight, which might take a chunk out of that fatality rate.  

EDIT: In addition to any Truthwatchers or Edgedancers that happen to be around.

The effect of stormlight is only effective on surgebinders: it will not heal the regular people. As for the Truthwatchers/Edgedancers, even if providing they can actually heal it... even if they can, there aren't enough of those to heal ever single sick individual.

Cold rhinovirus related fatalities are incredibly rare, and only happen if something is making the person very unusually vulnerable - eg immunocompromised. People on Roshar actually are in better general health than on Earth.

On 3/13/2017 at 4:56 PM, maxal said:

Often, it isn't the cold which causes death, but secondary infections contracted out of reduced immunity while having the cold. In 1918, during the Spanish Flu epidemic, the highest mortality rate was among the young adults, the age group which typically has the highest chance of surviving diseases.

The Spanish Flu's increased death rate among young adults is a very specific, unusual thing - not even shared by other influenza strains (seasonal flu deaths are mostly among the elderly), and isn't related to reduced immunity to other viruses. That was caused by a "cytokine storm" - basically the person's immune system attacking them. So those with the strongest immune system were hit worst.

13 hours ago, maxal said:

The effect of stormlight is only effective on surgebinders: it will not heal the regular people. As for the Truthwatchers/Edgedancers, even if providing they can actually heal it... even if they can, there aren't enough of those to heal ever single sick individual.

People are more invested on Roshar than on Scadrial, by WoB.  And if goldminds can heal away a cold, then Regrowth certainly can.  

Besides, I agree with @cometaryorbit, people on Roshar are just in better health.  Must be the extra oxygen in the air.  Or something, don't know the exact mechanics of it.  

On 15/3/2017 at 4:16 PM, Landis963 said:

People are more invested on Roshar than on Scadrial, by WoB.  And if goldminds can heal away a cold, then Regrowth certainly can.  

I don't remember this WoB. Could you post It here ?

On 15/3/2017 at 4:16 PM, Landis963 said:

Besides, I agree with @cometaryorbit, people on Roshar are just in better health.  Must be the extra oxygen in the air.  Or something, don't know the exact mechanics of it.  

F-gold doesn't work well with disease. 

I think It happen because the disease is made of Life beings too and Investiture Interference happens.

Probably for extension all' the Cosmere's Healing don't work well with the Diseases

1 hour ago, Yata said:

F-gold doesn't work well with disease. 

I think It happen because the disease is made of Life beings too and Investiture Interference happens.

Probably for extension all' the Cosmere's Healing don't work well with the Diseases

Interesting. I wonder if Hoid can catch a cold...

22 minutes ago, The Flash said:

Interesting. I wonder if Hoid can catch a cold...

Well probably you will are more resistant to catch diseases but once you have the actual Healing isn't worth aganist them

2 hours ago, Yata said:

I can't right now because phone, but I seem to recall that it stemmed from a question about Breath.  (Leading into a statement that Rosharans were similarly Invested to Nalthians, and that both were more highly Invested than Scadrians)

9 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

I can't right now because phone, but I seem to recall that it stemmed from a question about Breath.  (Leading into a statement that Rosharans were similarly Invested to Nalthians, and that both were more highly Invested than Scadrians)

This is weird, because Scadrial are a bit above the Standard....So I could understand Nalthian with their Breath are above them, but Rosharan.....weird

3 hours ago, Yata said:

This is weird, because Scadrial are a bit above the Standard....So I could understand Nalthian with their Breath are above them, but Rosharan.....weird

I don't think they are. When they become invested yes they are, but the average individual doesn't appear to be especially invested.

7 hours ago, The Flash said:

I don't think they are. When they become invested yes they are, but the average individual doesn't appear to be especially invested.

Wait I don't mean to a great degree. Something pratically irrelevant but a bit of more Investiture in their Soul.

I know a Metalborn become High invested when he uses some of his Powers.

It is like if a regular Scadrial have a 11 where the standard shardworlds' Human has 10. Nothing really meaningless

(Probaby a Nalthis One Will be like 13-14)

• Chaos locked this topic