Ranette was an Idiot (Sort of)

Batemenace

In an in-book question (asked as a gift for a relative who's a midwife), I asked:

"Would a Mistborn have to worry about accidentally burning her copper IUD?" and Brandon smiled, and wrote "Yes!"

So I think that burning metal outside of the stomach is still relatively natural to Allomancers.

The problem I have with your theory is that Rashek’s metalminds pierced his skin, but he didn’t accidentally burn them off. The quote from Brandon implies that they can’t choose what they burn, so how did Rashek do it?

edit: How do Inquisitors keep from burning their spikes?

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

7 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

The problem I have with your theory is that Rashek’s metalminds pierced his skin, but he didn’t accidentally burn them off. The quote from Brandon implies that they can’t choose what they burn, so how did Rashek do it?

edit: How do Inquisitors keep from burning their spikes?

More invested metal is harder to burn.

3 hours ago, Weltall said:

Y'all do realize this topic was two years dead, right?

It got into Ironeyes's stash of atium.  Also am I the only one who thought this would be a "in defense of Wayne" thread?

Edited by Karger

• 1 month later...

Ooh, that's a neat concept. If I recall correctly, the alloys could be burned even if they had incorrect ratio of metals, it was just difficult.

And I rather liked the idea (and homage to era 1) of the Hazekiller rounds, using ceramics against steel and iron, and noise against tin, recognizing that aluminium would be recognizable to Allomancers. I'm not sure about the viability of the alternative idea here, but Ranette's approach wasn't bad, I don't think

• 2 months later...

Brandon confirmed that an allomancer doesn't have to injest metal in order to burn it on his live stream tonight, so the theory seems pretty cemented in canon at this point.

I've had a theory about Hoid and allomantic suppositories for a few years, but I just can't bring myself ask Brandon about it.