How do Parshmen Breed?

Random question, how do Parshmen breed? I know regular Parshendi change into mate form in order to breed, but I think someone would notice if a Parshman snuck away and returned looking completely different. Another question, are all Parshmen just Parshendi in dull form? I know in the book it was said the dull form is used to spy on the humans so I assumed that all Parshmen were just Parshendi in dull form. I guess that they could just be a separate tribe of Parshendi that was found and enslaved, it was said that once the only forms known were dull form and mate form. What do you guys think?

No parshmen are not all dullform, they have no form (though they are sometimes referred to as "slaveform"). The thing to keep in mind is that the forms are specializations, mateform is not the only form that can breed, it's just the best at it, in the same way that a workform could swing a sword but warform is better at combat.

Ok, just got out my book and you are right, it is called slaveform, sorry. Also, while the forms are probably more specializations like you said, there are some things that different forms can't do. This is sort of shown when Words of Radiance says "warform did not intrinsically make one more disciplined. Unfortunately, it did hamper one's artistic skill." on page 165 and when it says "But each had it's quirks. A worker had difficulty committing violence..." on the same page. While the word difficulty does imply that you are right, I think that the quote "Most couples, in order to have a child, would enter the form and sequester themselves away for a year-then would be out of the form as soon after the child's birth as possible." favors my point. it says that in order to have a child, they would enter the form and then be out of the form as soon as possible. If any other form could have a child, why would most couples enter it? They obviously despise mate form, so if there was another way, I feel like it wouldn't say that most couples enter the form.

I think it's just far easier to mate in mateform than in other forms (duh). I mean, all of forms carry some changes to the mindset and none of them are particularly romantically oriented; so they change into mateform and after they're done they return to their favourite/expected forms.

And one more thing: parshmen and dullform are not the same thing (although similar). Parshmen is the absence of the form (sometimes called slaveform, to align with the naming); dullform is a form.

Edited by Oversleep

My apologies I thought I mentioned this in my first post, but we do have WoB (I just didn't have it accessible at the moment):

[Reddit - May 19, 2015]

uchoo786

I was actually wondering about how Parshmen would reproduce if they are only in slaveform? I thought one had to be in mateform in order to reproduce?

Brandon Sanderson

For the first, mateform is not the only form capable of producing--any more than warform is the only one capable of swinging a sword. The forms are specializations.

It's also important to note that most listener forms are asexual in nature (which really isn't that conducive to making babies) mateform and "slaveform" are exceptions to that.

I hope somewhere in Oathbringer we get more information about the parshmen's general, er biology, or life-cycle. Sooo many questions. Do the Alethi breed them? Where are the little parsh-babies and parsh-children? What is their life span? Do they age at the same rate as humans? Do they lactate?

There was apparently some hybridization between Parshendi and other Roshar peoples in the past (There's a WOB somewhere), so presumable they can't be too different. Maybe there was  a 'nearly human' form.

• 3 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic