Is Hoid a Dragon

Hello!

This theory have been in my mind for a very long time.ing

First question: Who is Hoid?

He is a Worldhopper from Yolen that is pursued by 17th Shard organisation. He also isn't a Shard, he has been present when Adonalsium was shattered, there are a couple of Hoids so it is kinda complicated, he uses magic systems from Scadrial, Yolen or Roshar, Naltis, he tried to become Elantrian.

There is a very important part:

HOID LOVES BACON

Second question:

What do we know about Yolen?

There are Dragons and two other sentient races. First 16 Shardholders were from Yolen.

Third question:

What do we know about Dragons?

Nothing (or I just don't know).

I think he might be a Dragon, we don't know how the Dragons look. Humans look like humans probably.

It has been theorized that, since the Letter's recipient is from Yolen, and from the Letter referring to the recipient as "you old reptile," that the letter's recipient is a dragon. Brandon has stated that dragons can take human form however it is unclear whether there are any small anatomical differences.

Coppermind says that Dragons can take human forms. What about "Small anatomical diffrences?"

His hair is white, only old people have them, he is old, but he looks very well. I would say he is about 30.

So what do you think of it. Is it possible?

Please, help me to find out it.

Interesting. I'm not so sure about hoid being a dragon... Sort of hard to back that up although there is white hair, since we don't know a lot about cephandrus' background... But the bit about the recipient of his letter being a dragon... I think that's very perceptive. The recipient very likely is a dragon, given that line.

The recipient of the Letter is a dragon, but it is not Hoid. Hoid wrote the Letter. See here. Also here.

In Mistborn Secret History,

Spoiler

Hoid still appears the same in the cognitive realm. I don't think that Hoid could be a dragon because then he would appear like a dragon in the cognitive realm, at least I assume so. Don't really have any evidence though.

Also, Hoid couldn't be a dragon because we see that in the Liar of Partinel sample chapters, 

Spoiler

Hoid is human. This shows that Brandon did not originally intend for Hoid to be a dragon, but a human. He could have changed him later, but I doubt it. 

I assume that the answer might be in Dragonsteel, because of this.

QUESTION

Is Hoid a dragon?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Oh I will give you a RAFO card. Have you read Dragonsteel? Don’t read it, it’s bad. He is one of the oldest people in the cosmere, but he is not the oldest. The person he is writing a letter to is indeed older than he is

Sorry to shoot your theory down, but...

INTERVIEW: Mar 22nd, 2014
WoR Signing Report - Argent (Verbatim)
QUESTION
Is Hoid human?
BRANDON SANDERSON
Hoid was human a long time ago. Now... It's complicated. We would call him human, and so will pretty much everyone else, but he is not exactly that.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1088  It's QA #4

We've got confirmed that Hoid used to be a human, but now he's something different now and it's "complicated".

You can say that one of the three sapiens on Yolen is mankind. It's not totally confirmed whether all 16 vessels are human. Brandon called all sapiens "people", that would include Listeners, Aimians, kandra, even dragons.

Again, the things about 2 Hoids:

The Hoid we know now was originally named Midius, when he's at Yolen. Midius' mentor was the very 1st Hoid, then he died, so Midius took the name Hoid and went on a journey to Partinel, later appeared in all the books we've seen.

For short, there have been two Hoids, and the one we've seen in all publisheds is Midius, the very 2nd one. We will see the 1st Hoid in Dragonsteel series. At least I believe so.

You all shatter my world! :(

I thought Hoid being a Dragon was a canonical fact, even if I had no idea what exactly that was. I don't know how I got the idea, but I know where I got it: here on this forum. Guess I'll have to change my signature soon... (and I liked it so much).

Can any of you point me to some sources that exist on Dragons, so I can form a better picture? Would appreciate it!

[Edit] I do have that 'Liar of Partinel' fragment, but nothing more so far except for published works.

Edited by Erklitt

Yeah, Hoid being human is probably complicated in similar ways to questions like "was TLR human?" or "are inquisitors human?" though, as opposed to him turning into a part-dragon suddenly. :)

All the stuff on Dragons is either in Brandon's unpublished version of Dragonsteel, which is a thesis available (at least theoretically) at the Brigham Young University library, or directly from WoB. It only became relevant that the Recipient of the first letter was a Dragon because Hoid explicitly calls him an old reptile, which of course resulted in a question about whether he meant that term literally or not. ;)

@Ari Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.

Found out about Dragonsteel's BYU existence in the meantime, after being stymied by seeing so many references to it, especially on the coppermind, without any traces of a published book available for sale. So yesterday I started a determined search of WoB's ...

Thinking back, I believe I had somehow inferred that Dragons were the native race of Yolen, which I knew from the Liar of Partinel fragment and thought to be the same world Dragonsteel was set on; so to my mind Hoid being from that world automatically made him a Dragon. Anyway, I've accepted the inevitable and changed my signature slightly... :wacko: (which is the main reason behind my disappointment that Hoid is NOT a Dragon :angry:) Whitespine just doesn't work quite as well ... but at least it's in the text.;)

9 hours ago, Erklitt said:

@Ari Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.

Found out about Dragonsteel's BYU existence in the meantime, after being stymied by seeing so many references to it, especially on the coppermind, without any traces of a published book available for sale. So yesterday I started a determined search of WoB's ...

Thinking back, I believe I had somehow inferred that Dragons were the native race of Yolen, which I knew from the Liar of Partinel fragment and thought to be the same world Dragonsteel was set on; so to my mind Hoid being from that world automatically made him a Dragon. Anyway, I've accepted the inevitable and changed my signature slightly... :wacko: (which is the main reason behind my disappointment that Hoid is NOT a Dragon :angry:) Whitespine just doesn't work quite as well ... but at least it's in the text.;)

Yeah no problem, it helps to have been around since the TWG forums when a lot of Brandon's fans were either super-nerds like me from out of country or out of state, or locals who often attended BYU, so you picked up the occasional thing about Dragonsteel, (like people checking it out the thesis version at BYU) Liar, Aether of Night, or White Sands, even though I haven't read any of the early draft versions myself.

• Chaos locked this topic