The Madman's Blade (Major WoR spoilers)

DeTess

First of all, apologies if this has been mentioned before. Also, Major WoR spoilers to follow.

Dalinar bonded the Madman's blade. It is (almost) certain that the madman was in fact a Herald. Furthermore, he was the only Herald that remained faithful tot he oathpact, as far as I can tell. It has also been suggested that the blades of the heralds (the Oathblades) are different from Shardblades. It is said that Honor created the blades  and gave them to the Heralds, and the spren just learned how to copy the effect.
This leads to my question(spoilered out as this contains spoilers for the ending of WoR):

Spoiler

why does the blade scream when Dalinar becomes a radiant? It belonged to someone that never really broke his oaths. Furthermore the oathblades are different, As can be seen when Kalladin holds Szeth's blade, which doesn't scream at all.

That's what I suspected. How do we know it wasn't Hoid though? He is probably one of the few people to have the means and there's a precedent(secret history spoilers):

Spoiler

Hoid took a bead of Lerasium after all, so him adding an oathblade tot he collection wouldn't be too much of a stretch for me.

27 minutes ago, randuir said:

That's what I suspected. How do we know it wasn't Hoid though? He is probably one of the few people to have the means and there's a precedent(secret history spoilers):

Hide contents

Hoid took a bead of Lerasium after all, so him adding an oathblade tot he collection wouldn't be too much of a stretch for me.

For more information: see here:

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/14124-who-has-talns-blade/

The short version:

Observant readers have realized that the physical description of the sword Taln brought to Kholinar at the end of WoK differs widely from the one Dalinar bonds later after Taln's arrival on the plains. So the swap itself is an assured fact.

As for it not being Hoid there's a WoB.

By the way, Words of Radiance has been out long enough that it's no longer necessary to hide spoilers, I don't think anyone does that now. With Secret History though that's probably still a good idea.

• Chaos locked this topic