Best of The Cosmere

Straw

Best of Brandon  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What is Brandon's best magic system?

• Allomancy
    • Feruchemy
    • Hemalurgy
    • Voidbinding
    • Clayshan
    • Surgebinding
    • Dakhor
    • Aons
    • Awakening
    • Forgery
    • Other magic system
  2. 2. What is your favorite Brandon character?

• Vin
    • Kelsier
    • Sazed
    • Elend
    • Spook
    • Wayne
    • Szeth
    • Raoden
    • Siri
    • Vivenna
    • Vasher
    • Wax
    • Kaladin
    • Shallan
    • Dalinar
    • Adolin
    • Lift
    • Hrathen
    • Sarene
    • Other character
  3. 3. What is your favorite Brandon series?

• Short stories
    • Mistborn
    • Stormlight
    • Warbreaker
    • Elantris
    • White sand
    • Other work

Allomancy is probably my fave magic just because of its physical precision. Surgebinding comes close, but we just don't know quite as much about it. Fights between two Mistborn are just so incredibly interesting, though. 

That said, Stormlight is my fave series, and Renarin Kholin is my favorite character from anything ever, not just the Cosmere. 

3 hours ago, FeatherWriter said:

That said, Stormlight is my fave series, and Renarin Kholin is my favorite character from anything ever, not just the Cosmere. 

Never would have guessed.  You might want to be a bit less subtle about it.

5 minutes ago, happyman said:

Never would have guessed.  You might want to be a bit less subtle about it.

Har har. I never know how far tales of my Renarin-insanity have spread. Surely there are still Sharders who have yet to witness my obsession in all its glory...

3 hours ago, FeatherWriter said:

Har har. I never know how far tales of my Renarin-insanity have spread. Surely there are still Sharders who have yet to witness my obsession in all its glory...

Literally the first thread I've read after introducing myself to the Shard had a five-paragraphs-long post about Renarin penned by you... It's not hard to notice at all. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Favorite Character: Kelsier. This might be biased by the fact that I recently started rereading the original mistborn trilogy. There are a lot of close seconds, specifically Shallan, Wayne, Vin, and Kaladin.

Favorite Magic System: Feruchemy. The idea of being able to store up attributes like that seems absolutely wonderful, and the rules for such a system are quite simple and intuitive. Allomancy and surgebinding are both cool and flashy, but I really like the idea of feruchemy.

Favorite Series: The Stormlight Archive, just two books in, is probably my favorite series (not just Sanderson series either). The books were storming amazing.

My favorite magic system is Surgebinding due too the fact that that the character has morals they have too hold too to obtain there power. For the most part anyway, if you don't count honorblades and hemalurgy. Not sure why I like that so much about surgebinding but I do. My favorite character would have too be Vasher. Il ike how he's portrayed as an anti hero in Warbreaker. a person who did terrible things earlier in his life and is trying too prevent anybody else from making his same mistake. Meaning Nightblood, i also like how he doesn't get along with people and it's shown without making him appear weak or foolish. Far too much fantasy put people who can't get along well as weak. I just like how Vasher still has strengths despite not liking people.   

• 4 weeks later...

Character: Lift without question. She has some sick potential hacks with Hemalurgy. Plus she is just fun to read.

Manifestation: Hemalurgy. When was the last time you read a series where anybody could create a new species with magic? Plus Hemalurgy is THE method for most hackery. Others are flashier, but Hemalurgy can literally steal your thunder.

Series is obviously SA. It's the best written. And while we don't understand the magic yet, we know there are mechanics that make sense. Guessing those is half the fun after all!

Since this thread got resurrected, I'll play.

Favorite character: Khriss. She's such a nerd. I love the mysteries still surrounding her, but getting in her head in White Sand was excellent.

Favorite magic system: Allomancy, if I had to choose just one and can't pick a general "Metallic Arts." I'll never forget the gradual revelation of what Allomancy can do over the course of Era 1. More than anything, that's what made me fall in love with Brandon's books.

Favorite series: Mistborn, but that's mostly due to Stormlight only being two books in vs. 7+ for Mistborn. 

Well, I read Stormlight Archive last, so I have to say that's my favourite, but it's forever tied with Mistborn. If I read Mistborn last, that would be my favourite.

As for characters... Kelsier, Shallan, Elend, Vin and Jasnah...so many...I went with Jasnah, but they're all my precious children... Those are the major favourites I have, but even then, I love pretty much all the characters, they're precious to me *turns into Gollum*

Magic System: Surgebinding. Even though Allomancy is so flashy and Feruchemy is so versatile, I have to go with Surgebinding because the system has so many possible combinations of powers, each with its own resulting personality type. The moral base of the system is also so interesting as a mechanic to motivate the characters.

Character: Kaladin. Finishing just ahead of Kelsier, I have to say Kaladin is my favorite character because, even when he was beaten down and oppressed, he won the mental battle and decided to fight. Instead of fighting just for sport or duty, Kaladin fights for his friends.

Series: SA. Although I really like the first Mistborn trilogy, I found that the characters of SA are what really make the story tick to me. The slave who fights for others, the liar who kills due to love, the assassin who only wishes to take his own life. The vivid characters are what make the work so impressive.

• Chaos locked this topic