The Parshendi remembered the Radiants

Stormgate

I suspect Adolnasium had a hand in that directly. Spren appear to be as natural on Roshar as metals on Scadrial, except in Shinovar, so there's clearly something innate and yet extraordinary, and I can only imagine Adolnasium as the cause (since we know the spren predate the arrival of Honor, Cultivation, and Odium).

jW

Yeah, I have a theory (and one of this days i will have to post it) that Adonalsium left on Roshar a large amount of Investiture (the Stormlight)... this investiture made the Realms overlaps more than in the rest of the Cosmere... And this is the reason of Spren generation (the Minds are more likely to influence Investiture) and the Spren visibility in the Physical realm (something unique to Roshar).

Of course this is separated by the magic Systems rules and how they manifest on Roshar (I think Roshar's focus is "bonds" but i can't be sure) and maybe the "Spren generation" was left to alloy better magic on Roshar

Edited by Yata

Eshonai explains how "The Rider of the Storms" which is the Stormfather betrayed them. The implication is the betrayal is due to the spren abandoning the parshendi in favor of the humans because of something the spren get out of the deal. That implication is that the spren gain sapience. 

Also, when Eshonai and the Five are discussing stormform (Interlude 4), they discuss over humans having a Surgebinder and whether it could be a Honorblade; then they say that Surgebinding returned to men and that spren betrayed them again.

Edited by Oversleep

This epigraph probably gives some insight... 

Our gods were born splinters of a soul,

Of one who seeks to take control,
Destroys all lands that he beholds, with spite.
They are his spren, his gift, his price.
But the nightforms speak of future life,
A challenged champion. A strife even he must requite.

—From the Listener Song of Secrets, final stanza

Interesting. What do we think Nightforms means? Is that maybe the Parshendi word for their Voidbringer form? This seems to suggest these Nightforms represent a challenge to the gods, and one that is expected to return.

damnation, I really need to re-read WoR...

The Nightforms are believed to be a voidform, partly due to their name, and they seem to be capable of discerning the future.

I think it is not that simple, as most songs speaking of the Nightforms tell their prophecies of a new path and of Odium's possible fall, things I do not believe Odium would like to be show.

There are four explanations I came up with:

1)Odium's plans depend on the Listeners betrayal. Unlikely and boring, IMO.

2)Odium's team is a backstabbing carnival of psychos. Infighting between splinters of Odium contained only by fear of their boss and stronger hayred for other shards would fit the intent of Odium, and be an interesting weakness.

3)Future sight granted to mortals is always disconnected from the intent of the investiture powering it, and also protects the seer from being influenced by it, meaning that the nightforms are more capable of thinking indepently and non-hatefully than other forms, making them potential traitors. Ot also means Truthwatchers are more distant from both Honour and Cultivation than other Orders, making them dangerous.

4)Nightforms are not forms of power from Odium, but from Cultivation, Honour, Aldonalsium or a mix of them. Maybe they are granted by Truthwatcher spren, if the theory listeners can merge with Radiant spren to get non-evil forms of power is true.

Edited by DreamEternal

Actually, if the Nightwatcher is of cultivation may the Nightforms not be as well? It would make sense. She is far better at future sight than Honor, as Honor himself says.

I could've sworn their species was said to have once been of Cultivation in a WoB somewhere.

Actually . . . huh. Night and Dawn. This is interesting.

Actually, if the Nightwatcher is of cultivation may the Nightforms not be as well? It would make sense. She is far better at future sight than Honor, as Honor himself says.

I could've sworn their species was said to have once been of Cultivation in a WoB somewhere.

Actually . . . huh. Night and Dawn. This is interesting.

From what I remember, Brandon said the listeners were not originaly of either Odium or Cultivation, and are not of Honour. That implies they are or were of Cultivation at some point.

• Chaos locked this topic