Ym's spren

Stormgate

I'm rereading WoR, and I just got to the Ym interlude. The thought occurred to me that we know the Surges that correspond to each order. I have been trying to memorize them, but it's difficult when you don't have all the Surges clearly defined. Anyway, Ym clearly uses the Progression Surge to help the boy that visited him. I thought for a minute that Ym could be of the order of Edgedancers, but his spren—described as being like a reflection, indistinct—is nothing like Wyndle. Thus, I must conclude that Ym had the potential—as he wasn't actually a Knight—to become a Truthwatcher.

Now here's the interesting thing. We know Renarin is a Truthwatcher. Could the spren, after Ym's death, have bonded with Renarin? Ym says his spren is shy, but also curious, which matches what we know of Renarin's spren.

Hm... They are very far apart, and it's possible that Glys was already bonding to Renarin when Ym was alive...

Also, remember that Lift has a special connection to the cognitive realm, and probably sees Wyndle differently compared to other Edgedancers. Ym's spren COULD be the same type as Lift's. I think it's more likely to be the same type as Renarin's, but still.

• 8 months later...

This may be off topic from the comments above but it is regarding Ym's spren. 

SPOILERS regarding Edgedancer

Did anyone else notice that Wyndle kept talking about the original person he wanted to bond with? The "cobbler", the "Iriali"? (Ym)

Was Ym already boned with another spren, and that's why Wyndle had to go to Lift instead? Both Ym and Lift had to have had their spren for some time if they've both learned how to use part of their abilities (by the time of Ym's death), so Wyndle must not know that Ym has died, along with the spren that very easily could have been him.

3 minutes ago, St0rmBlessed said:

This may be off topic from the comments above but it is regarding Ym's spren. 

SPOILERS regarding Edgedancer

Did anyone else notice that Wyndle kept talking about the original person he wanted to bond with? The "cobbler", the "Iriali"? (Ym)

Was Ym already boned with another spren, and that's why Wyndle had to go to Lift instead? Both Ym and Lift had to have had their spren for some time if they've both learned how to use part of their abilities (by the time of Ym's death), so Wyndle must not know that Ym has died, along with the spren that very easily could have been him.

Ym was confirmed to be a Truthwatcher...so probably he fitted both of the orders but the Ring choose to send Wylde to Lift instead of the one he wanted (because Lift recive the Mother's blessing) and Ym were reclamed by a truthwatcher's spren...until he died

• 1 month later...

Can Spren not find someone else to bond with if they're early stages of bonding with a human when they die (i.e. not enough ideals said)? While the gender thing does probably prove that Ym's Spren isn't Lift's, it does raise the question of whether a Spren can only have one attempt at bonding a human before they're re-stupefied in the Physical realm, if that human dies (rather than break their bond) - do we have a WoB on this? 

• Chaos locked this topic