Unmade

BrightVoid

So we have some creatures called Unmade, which I assume are splinters or Odium, simmilar to spren.  I assume that most are more powerful, as they do not require a bond to cause magics to happen. (Death Rattles)  Is there any more info on them, such as their sentience, numbers, or powers?

If you search up "Unmade" in theoryland, you'll get a few WoBs about what they are. They are powerful spren that cause things like the Thrill and the Death Rattles in areas around them. I *Think* there are nine of them, but don't quote me on that... They are probably semi sentient agents of Odium, not bond spren.

I believe we only know what three of them can do - two cause the Death Rattles and Thrill as mentioned above and the third (the Midnight Mother) creates the Midnight Essences that can merge with stone and have a monster break off from the rock and attack nearby humans. If I recall correctly, some of them are sentient, and some are not. It isn't clear if the Death Rattles and the Thrill are deliberate creations of those two Unmade or just involuntary byproducts of its proximity.

Ten unmade. We know the name of five for certainty

Yelig-nar aka Blightwind

Nergoul the Thrill

Moelach the death rattles

Dai-gonarthis aka Black fisher

Re-shephir aka Midnight mother

We also know that Yelig-nar is sentient and possibly the most poweful of the Unmade. He is able to consume his victims, but being largely restricted to the cognitive realm, there is a strong case that he consumes victims with hate - as IIRC WoB mentions that Szeth may be being influenced by something similar to a spren.

Actualy, we know by WoB there are not ten unmade.

Link?

Ten unmade. We know the name of five for certainty

Yelig-nar aka Blightwind

Nergoul the Thrill

Moelach the death rattles

Dai-gonarthis aka Black fisher

Re-shephir aka Midnight mother

Is it possible that Dai-gonarthis is influencing the Purelake?  Fisher makes me think of those invested fish, but all of the known effects are positive.  Maybe it influences them somehow?

Edit:

INTERVIEW: Mar 22nd, 2014 QUESTION
Is the number of the Unmade fixed?
BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

QUESTION

Is it ten, is it ten, is it ten, is it ten, is it ten?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Is it ten? No, it's not ten.

Edited by BrightVoid

The unmade are like the heralds, they are intents of Odium.

They aren't like the heralds at all. While Heralds are human, the Unmade are splinters; beings of pure investiture.

What do you mean by 'intents'? Are you saying that each Unmade may correlate to a facet of Odium's mandate?

As far as the number of (named) Unmade go, I'd really like to know if it's six, because Heralds + Unmade would then be sixteen.  The other major question I hope gets answered is whether Odium-sourced spren are erroneously referred to as part of the Unmade, and vice-versa.

I get the feeling that whatever number it turns out to be will be significant to Odium, similar to the 16 metals, 10 Heralds, ect.  6 would be good as it leaves one Unmade that we know nothing about to create a potential plot point later.

I believe we only know what three of them can do - two cause the Death Rattles and Thrill as mentioned above and the third (the Midnight Mother) creates the Midnight Essences that can merge with stone and have a monster break off from the rock and attack nearby humans. If I recall correctly, some of them are sentient, and some are not. It isn't clear if the Death Rattles and the Thrill are deliberate creations of those two Unmade or just involuntary byproducts of its proximity.

Midnight Essence is not the same as voidspren possessing rock (thunderclasts). Midnight Essence is what Dalinar fought in the vision.

Midnight Essence is not the same as voidspren possessing rock (thunderclasts). Midnight Essence is what Dalinar fought in the vision.

Oh, I thought the Midnight Essences were similar, except differently shaped (and weaker).

And can't one of the Unmade corrupt and control spren or something?

I get the feeling that whatever number it turns out to be will be significant to Odium, similar to the 16 metals, 10 Heralds, ect.  6 would be good as it leaves one Unmade that we know nothing about to create a potential plot point later.

I'm not sure exactly what you meant here.  At the minimum, we have six names that are likely to all be Unmade, and we don't know hardly anything about any of them except DANGER, WILL ROBINSON:

Yelig-nar

Re'Shephir

Dai'gonarthis

Moelach

Nergaoul

Sja'anat

Edited by dvoraen

Why do those names sound like something H.P. Lovecraft came up with?

I love the names, they do sound particularity cool and ominous at the same time  B)

Yelig-Nar sounds like a beast though: "Yelig-nar, called Blightwind, was one that could speak like a man, though often his voice was accompanied by the wails of those he consumed."

Why do those names sound like something H.P. Lovecraft came up with?

They're based on real world deities etc., to my knowledge. Nergaoul, for example, seems to be a name derived from the real-world Nergal.

Perhaps Lovecraft was similarly inspired?

Lovecraft is very influential and he inspires a lot of writers, it really wouldn't surprise me but i agree with Moogle on this one.

I don't know why but i always imagined the Unmade more as specters or overseers who don't get directly involved for some reason.. it's ridiculous and i have no idea why i thought that but Yalig-Nar broke into Nohadon's Chancery(?) and slaughtered all his Wordsmen(?), he sounds involved and highly dangerous..

In WOK Chapter, 19 one of the Knights Radiant said that they hadn't fought Voidbringers but Midnight Essence was one of the Ten Deaths, which seems to me to be a reflection of the Ten Essences.

• Chaos locked this topic