Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

Just now, Kaymyth said:

Whatever you do, don't search Facebook for "flat earth".  The things you find will make you even less happy.

(Unless you stumble across the post where I schooled a moron on Earth's rotation in regards to the progression of the year.  Funny.  I scienced at him really, really hard and he disappeared and never responded.)

*really slow applause*

Just now, bleeder said:

*really slow applause*

The entire argument was monumentally stupid.  It was along the lines of, "If Earth moved around the sun, then by the time we were halfway around noon would be midnight and vice versa!"

No.  Just...no.

(Cause obviously we don't measure our days by perfect 360-degree rotations.  We measure them by when we come back around to the same facing.)

10 hours ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Yeah. My friend's super religious. I'm kind of atheist. 

EDIT: I think I'll ask him about climate change tomorrow :P

Hey--former creationist (the "pick fights with the teacher over evolution in the textbook" kind, not the "quietly believe creationism while going about their life" type) here. If you're hoping to eventually change their mind, or even just get them to be less belligerent about their beliefs, whatever you do, don't mock those beliefs. Don't bait them into fights. No matter how ridiculous you find their origin story for planet Earth, treat it respectfully. It was mocking that convinced me I was right and they evolutionists were trying to steal my faith; it was respect that led me to rethink my beliefs. So, just as a word of caution: Be nice. It really does work. 

2 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

The entire argument was monumentally stupid.  It was along the lines of, "If Earth moved around the sun, then by the time we were halfway around noon would be midnight and vice versa!"

No.  Just...no.

(Cause obviously we don't measure our days by perfect 360-degree rotations.  We measure them by when we come back around to the same facing.)

That's how mine went, for the most part.

He also brought up the fact that "if we're moving at 2000000 miles an hour around the sun then why aren't the stars going whoosh around us?"

And @TwiLyghtSansSparkles thank you. I'll keep that in mind. :lol:

Edited by bleeder

2 minutes ago, bleeder said:

That's how mine went, for the most part.

He also brought up the fact that "if we're moving at 2000000 miles an hour around the sun then why aren't the stars going whoosh around us?"

And @TwiLyghtSansSparkles thank you. I'll keep that in mind. :lol:

He...doesn't understand how far away stars are, does he?  I can't believe I'm saying this, but dude:  too many episodes of Star Trek watching the fake warp drive effect.

Re: science vs religion, I accept both. I definitely believe in God, but I see no reason why an all-powerful being could not use methods like the Big Bang or evolution--concepts accepted and promoted by modern science--to achieve his goals for the universe or for life on Earth. I also believe that humans have limits on our ability to understand and explain the natural world, and I'm willing to leave some mysteries unsolved for the time being.

19 hours ago, bleeder said:

No offense to all the religious-types out there, but evolution adds up more than creationism. 

I mean, God or god could have caused the Big Bang, but not just *poof* have some universe with fully formed life forms.

I'm a religious-type, and that second line there is actually what I believe happened. :ph34r: 

ETA: Totally just got ninja'd by Sunbird there. :P So, what she said.

Also, I'm rather fond of the phrase "science is the how, religion is the why". What do you all think?

Edited by Slowswift

19 minutes ago, Morzathoth said:

Life, the universe and everything is completely devoid of any meaning and is just a coincidence that anything exists at all.

I actually have an answer for question concerning life, universe and everything.

Now, for something completely different: type in google "how high a fall can cats survive".

1 hour ago, Sunbird said:

Re: science vs religion, I accept both. I definitely believe in God, but I see no reason why an all-powerful being could not use methods like the Big Bang or evolution--concepts accepted and promoted by modern science--to achieve his goals for the universe or for life on Earth. I also believe that humans have limits on our ability to understand and explain the natural world, and I'm willing to leave some mysteries unsolved for the time being.

I am similar; I'm no atheist, but I also am not in any way devout.

I've renamed my baritone. His new name is Prince Bartholomew, also known as Prince Barry. I have named him as such so that whenever I get him out of his case and have to wade through a sea of band nerds to get to my seat I can sing "Maaake waaaay for Prince Barryy!"

As you can tell, this is very important information.

Yay I've been away for 24 hours so I get to reply to everyone all at once!

On 16 September 2016 at 1:40 PM, Sunbird said:

Ok this is totally unrelated to anything that's been said in the past few pages, but I want to share this.

I'm going to assume that at least one person who frequents this thread has read all 4 of Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. I've only read the first (so far), but I have heard about a joke from one of the later books about "6 x 9 = 42." I was puzzling over this last night and had sort of an epiphany. Obviously 6 x 9 = 54, not 42. BUT if you write the number 54 in base-13 (in the same way that binary is base-2), then you get... wait for it... 42. So 6 x 9 CAN equal 42, depending on how you interpret what's on the page.

I feel like such a nerd.

I'm so proud of you. I never could have worked that out :).

On 16 September 2016 at 1:48 PM, bleeder said:

No offense to all the religious-types out there, but evolution adds up more than creationism. 

I mean, God or god could have caused the Big Bang, but not just *poof* have some universe with fully formed life forms.

I get into metaphysical debates with people all the time.

Well....If G-D is all-powerful He could do anything. Also, the version of Creation I'm familiar with has things happening over 7 days not all at once exactly.

On 16 September 2016 at 1:50 PM, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Yeah. My friend's super religious. I'm kind of atheist. 

EDIT: I think I'll ask him about climate change tomorrow :P

I'm iffy on climate change, mostly because I've not yet seen proof that seems solid enough to me.

19 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

We have actual proof of evolution.  It's literally written in our DNA.  People can yell about "missing links" all they want (which is a load of hooey; EVERYTHING in our fossil record is technically a missing link), but DNA is a living record of every creature on the planet.  There's only a tiny percentage of DNA difference between us and a cat.  Or a frog.  Or a manatee.

Though usually I just find it more fun to point out that only an blithering idiot would deliberately design the human female reproductive system the way it is.  Menstruation is stupid.  Game, set, match.

Well going biblically menstruation was a punishment for eating from the Tree of Knowledge....but I aint gonna argue about how inconvenient and irritating the whole thing is. 

19 hours ago, bleeder said:

I once got into an argument with this dude who believed the flat earth theory was accurate.

I was not happy.

But but....we've been to space. We have pictures of the earth being, y'know not flat. How?

11 hours ago, Slowswift said:

I'm a religious-type, and that second line there is actually what I believe happened. :ph34r: 

ETA: Totally just got ninja'd by Sunbird there. :P So, what she said.

Also, I'm rather fond of the phrase "science is the how, religion is the why". What do you all think?

I'll add to that "Religion looks for the miracles in nature, science looks for the nature in miracles". I think the two can coexist very nicely, they fill very different functions. For me, standing on one foot, religion is about how to behave and science is how the world works. I have zero problem believing that the world was created with natural laws in place that scientists have either already worked out or are in the process of discovering. I don't think scientists are always 100% correct but that's because we're human and discovery is a process. 

10 hours ago, Morzathoth said:

Life, the universe and everything is completely devoid of any meaning and is just a coincidence that anything exists at all.

Aaaaand I'm totally not surprised that you're the one that said that. The question is, do you believe that, or are you saying that because you're the nihilistic horror guy? :) 

40 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Aaaaand I'm totally not surprised that you're the one that said that. The question is, do you believe that, or are you saying that because you're the nihilistic horror guy? :) 

That is what I actually believe. Even if there are what some of you would call gods their opinions on morality and all that is only vaguely more 'right' than mine, or yours.

And if there is a meaning to life we would all be slaves to that meaning, that is a greater horror story than any I could ever write.

That is actually more optimistic than a catholic friend of mine who just thinks we are gods failed science experiment XD

Night Vale:

Spoiler

"Children will be assigned to teams based on personal disposition, so we will have an entire team of courageous players; an entire team of clever players; an entire team of conniving, selfish players; and a team that just takes the rest of the players."

I see what you did there :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Delightful said:

GUYS. OH MY GOD HELP.

(Civil War spoilers)

Hide contents

Apparently Steve Rogers is no longer Captain America? How what I can't deal with this news the names are synonymous whaaaaat!

Spoiler

Huh? You mean the movies? Are they doing his Nomad persona now?

Just now, Edgedancer said:
  Hide contents

Huh? You mean the movies? Are they doing his Nomad persona now?

Yeah. Well he chooses Bucky over law, and after he fights Iron Man, Stark says "That shield doesn't belong to you it was my fathers" and Steve drops it and walks away. The Russo brothers I think just confirmed that he's no longer offially Captain America. Don't know if they'll do nomad but in my heart and soul Chris Evans = Steve Rogers = Captain America and I'm kind of having emotional issues with this.

:P 

22 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Hide contents

Yeah. Well he chooses Bucky over law, and after he fights Iron Man, Stark says "That shield doesn't belong to you it was my fathers" and Steve drops it and walks away. The Russo brothers I think just confirmed that he's no longer offially Captain America. Don't know if they'll do nomad but in my heart and soul Chris Evans = Steve Rogers = Captain America and I'm kind of having emotional issues with this.

Spoiler

At least they haven't released any plans to incorporate Hydra!Cap into the movies. <_< 

30 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Hide contents

Introducing JOHN WALKER as Captain America!

...which, actually, would fit with the idea. Show a stooge Cap, one valuing the Law over ideals. Though that would retroactively paint Tonys side, unequivocally, as the villains.

7 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:
  Hide contents

At least they haven't released any plans to incorporate Hydra!Cap into the movies. <_< 

That will be the plot twist at the end of Infinity War.

6 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Well the idea has some merrit, if you skip past the point where you're pretending he wasn't brainwashed, in that it puts a double agent in a spot where he really shouldn't be. Tension and all that. Of course with the fallout from Civil War that'd be rather ill timed, seeing as it would need a lot of space to breathe but that's something else entirely.

8 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:
  Hide contents

Well the idea has some merrit, if you skip past the point where you're pretending he wasn't brainwashed, in that it puts a double agent in a spot where he really shouldn't be. Tension and all that. Of course with the fallout from Civil War that'd be rather ill timed, seeing as it would need a lot of space to breathe but that's something else entirely.

...Huh. That might make a fun cap (heh) to the Bucky-Steve storyline, actually. Bucky saving Cap the way Cap did him.

"You didn't give up on me, Steve," kind of moment.

2 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Hide contents

...Huh. That might make a fun cap (heh) to the Bucky-Steve storyline, actually. Bucky saving Cap the way Cap did him.

Spoiler

….aside from the whole "it would need a literal cosmic retcon to get around the movie's established continuity, and the movies are more realistically grounded than are the comics, so the writers would really need to be willing to alienate fans if they wanted to make Hydra!Cap work" thing. 

6 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Reveal hidden contents

2 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:
  Reveal hidden contents

….aside from the whole "it would need a literal cosmic retcon to get around the movie's established continuity, and the movies are more realistically grounded than are the comics, so the writers would really need to be willing to alienate fans if they wanted to make Hydra!Cap work" thing. 

Spoiler

You know what this means guys, Zeemo escaping from prison just in time to steal the gauntlet from Thanos and using it to brainwash Steve.:ph34r:

7 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:
  Hide contents

I assumed grounded-ness was assumed? After all, the movies have established that Bucky's mind control is still an on-going concern. Between the movies and AoS, there's enough McGuffins to justify Cap being "irredeemabley turned".

(He wpuldn't be, obviously. But, narrative stakes raising before things get fixed)

Then again, I just want a Bucky movie in general, so...

Edited by Quiver