Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

Right. They began as a sort of splinter group—the research division, as the first Captain America movie put it—surviving past the fall of Nazi Germany into the present day. So even if Hydra is no longer explicitly a Nazi group, the fact remains that they wouldn't exist without Nazism.

And then AoS season 3 changes it a little

and makes Hydra all about worshipping Hive. I'm still not quite sure where that leaves things.

...the 17th Shard is having a better comic book based discussion than any of the comic book forums I have visited. 

I'd be surprised, but let's face it. This site is the best.

14wy5c.jpg

So going with the comic book theme....What's a good way for cash strapped me to start reading Batman comics? Is there a good app or mobile friendly site? Should I rely on my library? And where in the comics should I start? I'm about as familiar with the DC universe as I can be without having ever read any comics.

So, suggestions?

So going with the comic book theme....What's a good way for cash strapped me to start reading Batman comics? Is there a good app or mobile friendly site? Should I rely on my library? And where in the comics should I start? I'm about as familiar with the DC universe as I can be without having ever read any comics.

So, suggestions?

Your local library should have some books, so that's undoubtedly helpful. Youcan buy comics online via websites like Comixology, which I believe have their own apps...

As far as where to start? Well. You're in luck, since Batman has a lot of particularly well received and known storyline, trades and runs.

Is there anything in particular you want to read about? Certain villains? Would you rather pick up the "old classics", or something newer?

Superhero comics are just too messy for me to get into XD

Fun story. A coworker saw Deadpool's post credit scene

And said he didn't know who Cable was. So I explained it as confusingly as possible.

"Cable is the son of Cyclops and Jean Grey from the future except it's not really Jean but her clone, except it is Jean because Cyclops and Jeans daughter from a different future brought them to Cables future to raise him from being a baby to adulthood so he could fight Apocalypse high Cable does by going back in time and-"

The look of confusion they gave was hilarious.

Honestly, with comics? Just start buying. You can tend to fill in the blanks either as you go or via the Internet.

And said he didn't know who Cable was. So I explained it as confusingly as possible.

"Cable is the son of Cyclops and Jean Grey from the future except it's not really Jean but her clone, except it is Jean because Cyclops and Jeans daughter from a different future brought them to Cables future to raise him from being a baby to adulthood so he could fight Apocalypse high Cable does by going back in time and-"

Honestly, with comics? Just start buying. You can tend to fill in the blanks either as you go or via the Internet.

I dont know who Cable is either XD Im now more confused.

Eh... I have other things I want to read. If I start reading comics it will have to be decently self-contained things.

And I watched Coraline earlier today. Loved it.

Storms, that book and movie freaked me out. *shudders*

In other random news, I came across this picture of a fairy moth and was immediately reminded of the Thaylen people in the Stormlight Archive.

scvxib.jpg

Photo by Joe Bens in Ohio.

And I watched Coraline earlier today. Loved it.

Coraline is nearly tied with The Dark Crystal for "Best Dark Fantasy Film Ever Made." A seriously fantastic work.

I especially love the cat. Cats as wise interdimensional travelers simply makes so much sense.

I'm super super super super super pooled storming psyched for Emma Watson's live action portrayal of Belle in Beauty and the Beast. Hands down my all time favourite Disney adaptation as I can empathise with the duality

Oh my wow. That just changed how I see Cinderella forever.

I had never thought about Cinderella that way either, and I thought that post was great and really thoughtful.

I think... one of my friends just signed up to the Shard...

If it's who I think it is, then they've only read Stormlight so far, but now I have legions of fans on my side to let him see the true glory of Mistborn, Warbreaker, and all of Sanderson's works.

giphy.gif

Edited by The Young Bard

The really funny thing is that I actually only read very few comics myself and yet I understand absolutely everything in that explanation. :P

Just saw this in Sanderson Memes:

14xsjf.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this civil war is just gonna be Warriormark vs everyone else. :P

I'm Team Voidus. :ph34r: #SpikeYourEpics

I think... one of my friends just signed up to the Shard...

If it's who I think it is, then they've only read Stormlight so far, but now I have legions of fans on my side to let him see the true glory of Mistborn, Warbreaker, and all of Sanderson's works.

giphy.gif

We definetly need to have him read Warbreaker. :ph34r:

Kamala Khan :wub:

I take it you like Ms. Marvel?

I take it you like Ms. Marvel?

She is literally one of the most relatable characters I've ever read, particularly trying to balance her tradition with modern life and just plain being a normal person and writing fanfic that her parents don't understand and she's sweet and adorable and I have a new favourite superhero.

And my local library only has the first issue so now I gotta get my hands on the rest somehow.

She is literally one of the most relatable characters I've ever read, particularly trying to balance her tradition with modern life and just plain being a normal person and writing fanfic that her parents don't understand and she's sweet and adorable and I have a new favourite superhero.

And my local library only has the first issue so now I gotta get my hands on the rest somehow.

I'd give you my TPB'sbut they're back in the UK

Signing up for Kindle first in hopes one of the picks for November is Arcanum Unbounded + future Brandon books

I only read the first issue, but I liked it; never got around to reading the rest of her run.

Been meaning to pick up her and Captain Marvel's new series though...