Is Adonalsium Fixable?

Lilamal

Read this quote, then think about what it could mean.

Thanatos17901:
If Sazed were to die, would he drop the Shards Ruin and Preservation, or would he drop the Shard Harmony?

Brandon:
Excellent question. The shards are now intermingled, and would take effort to split apart. He would drop Harmony. (This is what Odium feared would happen, by the way.)

Could this mean that if one person held all of the shards, Adonalsium would merge back into one piece? That might also be why Odium is Splintering Shards. To make it harder to collect all the pieces. Anyone else get the feeling that we're going to see a story where somebody is trying to reform Adonalsium?

Read this quote, then think about what it could mean.

Could this mean that if one person held all of the shards, Adonalsium would merge back into one piece? That might also be why Odium is Splintering Shards. To make it harder to collect all the pieces. Anyone else get the feeling that we're going to see a story where somebody is trying to reform Adonalsium?

Well there's a pretty popular theory that that's what Hoid is trying to do, he has Investiture from a lot of places and he would be the one to know how if it is possible.

Here are a couple of WoB that support the notion that Adonalsium is indeed fixable:

Interview: Feb 12th, 2013 Mason Wheeler

You've said that Splintering a shard is essentially the same thing as the shattering of Adonalsium, repeated on a smaller scale.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Mason Wheeler

And a while ago, someone asked you if Splintering was permanent or reversible, and you said that it can be reversed.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Mason Wheeler

And shard holders tend to take the name of the shard they hold. So you've got Sazed, who goes by "Harmony" now, after taking up Ruin and Preservation. That makes me wonder, does he hold two shards... or one?

Brandon Sanderson

You could really answer that either way. The distinction is a really subjective one, and you could say that he's holding both shards, or that he holds one single Harmony.

Tags

Interview: Sep, 2012 Chaos

Is Splintering a Shard permanent?

Brandon Sanderson

No.

Tags

As Voidus said, the popular running theory is Hoid is trying to reassemble Adonalsium.

Well, even if Hoid is trying to fix Adonalsium, who do you think will actually hold Adonalsium? Hoid himself, Sazed, or one of the other Shards/Slivers? Or will Adonalsium even need to be held? He could become sentient as soon as all the pieces are assembled.

Well, even if Hoid is trying to fix Adonalsium, who do you think will actually hold Adonalsium? Hoid himself, Sazed, or one of the other Shards/Slivers? Or will Adonalsium even need to be held? He could become sentient as soon as all the pieces are assembled.

Good points. Personally i believe Hoid doesn´t want to become the next Adonalsium by collecting all shards, mainly because he didn´t try to get Ruin and/or Preservation when they were dropped. If he wants someone else to become the next Adonalsium it propably wont be one of the original shards, mainly because they all seem to dislike him (with maybe Tanavast as an exception but he is dead), but Sazed could be a good choice.

And if Adonalsium doesn´t need someone to hold all shards i believe you would still need a host to fuse all party into one again. Ruin and Preservation stayed split even though they where quite close, they only merged when they were held by one person.

Didn't someone ask Brandon for a Sazed quote from the last Mistborn trilogy, and Brandon wrote something like "You may have it"? Sounds like the shard, to me!

Not sure how to find the source...

• 3 weeks later...

I believe Sazed's quote is "It is yours."  I have long thought that Sazed will (eventually) willingly hand over Harmony to someone.

I would also agree with the idea that Hoid is reassembling Adonalsium, or causing to be reassembled by others.  An interesting question to ask is if Adonalsium left behind a cognitive shadow somewhere.  However, we know that Kelsier was mostly ineffectual at controlling Preservation, so I find it likely that a reformed Adonalsium would need an actual, living host.

Kelsier, however, lives again...

Nah, I think the next Adonalsium will be somebody like Vin. If not Vin herself. After all, if Sazed or somebody else becomes Adonalsium for a brief moment, they'll likely be able to access the Beyond. 

Edited by Varangian

• Chaos locked this topic