Small Theories

Master Elodin

I have a few floating around.

One is that I'm pretty sure at some point between the beginning and end of Words of Radiance, Jasnah has worldhopped somewhere else.  She was gone for a while, and if she was looking for information, it would have made sense to go to somewhere like Elantris and read up on what they knew about Cosmere history (if we're saying the Desolations are linked to the Oathpact and therefore to Honour, it's likely that they'll be of interest to off-Roshar scholars, even if it doesn't directly affect them).

Ever since I read Hoid's line about Tanavast buying him a drink once, I had this thought floating around my head that Tanavast used to be a mobster and drinking together wasn't exactly voluntary on Hoid's part. I'm not sure why, except perhaps for the fact that Yolen having mafia and a member of it ending up with a Shard of Honor would be kinda funny.

I have a few floating around.

One is that I'm pretty sure at some point between the beginning and end of Words of Radiance, Jasnah has worldhopped somewhere else.  She was gone for a while, and if she was looking for information, it would have made sense to go to somewhere like Elantris and read up on what they knew about Cosmere history (if we're saying the Desolations are linked to the Oathpact and therefore to Honour, it's likely that they'll be of interest to off-Roshar scholars, even if it doesn't directly affect them).

Jasnah explains by way of implication that she was off talking to Spren in the epilogue. It's possible she talked to cognitive life on another planet, but I'm not sure that Jasnah wouldn't have made a bigger deal of it, and the implication that she was in Shadesmar as opposed to the wider Cognitive Realm was reasonably strong.

Ever since I read Hoid's line about Tanavast buying him a drink once, I had this thought floating around my head that Tanavast used to be a mobster and drinking together wasn't exactly voluntary on Hoid's part. I'm not sure why, except perhaps for the fact that Yolen having mafia and a member of it ending up with a Shard of Honor would be kinda funny.

You do see Asian organized crime depicted as pretty honorable sorts. Even criminals can have standards.

You do see Asian organized crime depicted as pretty honorable sorts. Even criminals can have standards.

That's exactly why I find the idea funny. All over SA we see honour as something of the kings, nobility, self-sacrifice, duty, etcetera, etcetera, but as you've noted, there's honour among criminals, too. I can imagine it: a cut from Dalinar talking about Way of the Kings in context of the Almighty to the would-be Almighty ordering a mob hit.

I don't know, it just makes me chuckle for some reason.

Edited by Rasarr

I have a little mini-theory that the quote "Odium reigns" refers to the state of mind on Roshar as a whole. When Kaladin is dreaming about the storm, he seems strife and war everywhere he flys. He thinks something along the lines of "there's no peace anywhere." I think the quote could be stated as "Odium reigns... In the hearts of men"

I have a theory that sometime in Era 3 Mistborn (what was going to be Era 2 but has been moved up after W&W), or maybe the Lost Metal or Era 4, another Shard will try to lead a direct attack on Scadrial, sending an agent protected with their power in some way and capable of beating the basic human helpers Harmony has. They will be sent to unbalance Harmony by trying to basically force his remaining excess Ruin into him, causing him to break up into separate Intents, which I could see happening in the Lost Metal if that references Atium. The human helpers and Marsh will try to hold them off for a while, and just need to do it long enough for Harmony to ask Vin, whom he can contact across the Beyond apparently and couldn't bring back - at the time of HoA- and ask if she will come out of retirement to help an old friend (him). TenSoon will then take up Vin's bones and shape her body with her advice, as Sanderson has hinted that Vin can contact TenSoon too, create a Vin Avatar and then have the mental link that they already have due to Vin bodyjacking TenSoon before to let Vin take control of the avatar as a Harmony-Mist-fuelled, Fullborn Kandra Vin. Curbstomping of invading agent ensues, before she has a brief conversation with the new humans helping Harmony and then returns back Beyond to Elend.

This may be wistful thinking

I don't know if there's any merit to it, but what if a Nahel bond makes an opening in the soul, like a hemalurgic spike does? What if the Day of Recreance was when Honor was splintered, but that alone wasn't why the Knights abandoned their duties. Maybe Odium managed to use the hole to either take control of them, or at least nudge them towards the decision?

Actually, since Honor managed to send Dalinar a vision of the Knights abandoning their shardblades, chances are he actually wasn't splintered yet at that point.

I have a theory that sometime in Era 3 Mistborn (what was going to be Era 2 but has been moved up after W&W), or maybe the Lost Metal or Era 4, another Shard will try to lead a direct attack on Scadrial, sending an agent protected with their power in some way and capable of beating the basic human helpers Harmony has. They will be sent to unbalance Harmony by trying to basically force his remaining excess Ruin into him, causing him to break up into separate Intents, which I could see happening in the Lost Metal if that references Atium. The human helpers and Marsh will try to hold them off for a while, and just need to do it long enough for Harmony to ask Vin, whom he can contact across the Beyond apparently and couldn't bring back - at the time of HoA- and ask if she will come out of retirement to help an old friend (him). TenSoon will then take up Vin's bones and shape her body with her advice, as Sanderson has hinted that Vin can contact TenSoon too, create a Vin Avatar and then have the mental link that they already have due to Vin bodyjacking TenSoon before to let Vin take control of the avatar as a Harmony-Mist-fuelled, Fullborn Kandra Vin. Curbstomping of invading agent ensues, before she has a brief conversation with the new humans helping Harmony and then returns back Beyond to Elend.

This may be wistful thinking

This would be awesome. Edited by ThatTinyStrawMan

• Chaos locked this topic