Shard Count

KSub

We all know there are 16 shards. Harmony is 2, endowment 3, devotion and dominion 5, honour, cultivation and odium 8, autonomy 9.

So that leaves seven we don't yet know.

From WoB we know that there is a shard that does not inhabit a planet. There is one more already splintered. And there is one that just wants to hide/survive. That leaves 4 officially unaccounted for.

What else do we know?

1.There is a red (was it mist) surrounding Scadrial. There's the red spike made from a metal Harmony can't identify. These are presumably from the same shard. Who that is, will hopefully be revealed in the Lost Metal as Brandon teased us with that at the end of Shadows of Self and basically hasn't mentioned it since.

2.Brandon has answered a few questions regarding Taldain, the planet to be featured in White Sands. He had said that Autonomy is the only shard ON Taldain(my emphasis) and when asked whether Autonomy is the sun god of Taldain Brandon RAFO'd it. This leads me to believe that there may be a shard on Taldain's sun who is not autonomy. But if this is the shard that is not on a planet then that means the red stuff around Scadrial is from a shard on a planet.

3. There is a shard that just wants to hide/survive and there is a planet that can't be located. There may be another reason why Yolen can't be found as we know literally nothing about it at this time. But it is a bit of a coincidence.

4. There is another shard world, Vax, which we know nothing about.

That's all I can think of. Let the theories fly!.

We learned that Autonomy is the only Shard in the Taldain solar system.

Brandon has been quite tight-lipped about remaining Shards. Even for the Survival Shard, we don't know its Intent; Brandon has said that its actions are only tangentially related to its Intent. So, many of these remaining Shards are being saved for future reveals, possibly in Dragonsteel or the Mistborn Space Trilogy.

Nonetheless, there has been some speculation as to what the remaining Shards could be. I'd encourage you to dig through some older topics - there are a lot of good ideas floating around!

Seems to me like it would make sense if the shard that wants to hide and the shard that doesn't inhabit a planet would be the same.

Also where was it that he talked about the latter? I don't remember ever seeing it but that's probably because I haven't been around here very long.

Edited by Espella

To me make sense that the Survival Shard and the Shard off-planet it's the same being.

If this Shard doesn't anchor itself to anything, mean that it doesn't Invest itself, it's a good strategy to avoid to be overpowered by some other Shard (someone said Odium ?) and fits well with the will of survive.

BUT quite all the Shards we saw so far invested themself, like if "investing their own power" is some kind of second nature to them, therefore the Shards without a world must have some kind of "Selfish kind" of Intent, something (dumb example "greed") that give to the Shard a way to overpowered its need to Invest.

To me make sense that the Survival Shard and the Shard off-planet it's the same being.

If this Shard doesn't anchor itself to anything, mean that it doesn't Invest itself, it's a good strategy to avoid to be overpowered by some other Shard (someone said Odium ?) and fits well with the will of survive.

BUT quite all the Shards we saw so far invested themself, like if "investing their own power" is some kind of second nature to them, therefore the Shards without a world must have some kind of "Selfish kind" of Intent, something (dumb example "greed") that give to the Shard a way to overpowered its need to Invest.

If you had tons of power, I bet you'd want to do something with it to, if for no other reason than to figure out what you can do, and investing in a planet seems to be the most effective method for them (in addition to lining up with the intents).

I wonder if that Shard or a different one could be Jealousy.  God's righteous jealousy is a huge theme in the Bible, particularly the Old Testament, and we know Brandon bases some of this on those attributes.  Jealousy separated from the other attributes/mandates of God would be a dangerous thing, though, and a likely partner for Odium (though one just as willing to stab Odium in the back as Odium would be to stab it in the back).

jW

• 3 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic