Can Shardholders see connection?

KSub

In M:SH Kelsier is able to see strings connecting people to shards. My question is can Shardholders see these connections? It would make it pretty hard for Marsh to trick Ruin into believing he wasn't resisting if Ruin could see that Marsh had a connection to Preservation. (although we don't know this, I would be willing to argue he did, given his thoughts and actions anytime he was given a hint of freedom)

If I recall correctly, Kelsier believed Fuzz was showing him what he was able to see - a shared vision, if you will. Kelsier's mind couldn't comprehend as much of it, but that's a quantitative difference, not a qualitative one. 

Most of them could very definitely see the future, and atium allomancy apparently sees into the spiritual realm as well. Likely a similar mechanism. Some shards (ironically Ruin included) are just plain bad at it though.

Well it's like I said at the beginning, if a shard can see these connections then they would know who will oppose them and if they are Ruin or Odium or any other shards who might be cutthroat enough to kill someone who opposed them, then they would do just that.

Maybe I don't fully understand Connection.

I don't think any of us understand Connection, but my take on it is that it shows, well... what things are connected. And maybe how. This by itself only grants knowledge of the present, but because location and (to a large extent) time are irrelevant in the Spiritual Realm, anyone who can see Connections there will be able to see those Connections as they were, as they are, and as they will... will some limitations. The limitations are coming from (what I believe is) a WoB about how time is not entirely irrelevant in the Spiritual Realm, it still has impact on how far back or ahead you can "see." So seeing the future is a threefold skill: it requires one to be able to see Connections (in the Spiritual Realm), make sense of all the Connections one sees (the "white noise" problem), and have the (mental) capacity to follow those Connections into the future. We don't have a good way of gauging the difficulty of these requirements, but we know that even some Shards are not very good at it, so it's probably safe to assume they are difficult. Specifically the last one.

• Chaos locked this topic