Possible Question to ask Brandon

Patrick Star

So, I'm unfortunately not able to make it to any of Brandon's signings any time in the near future.

But I do have a fairly simple question that someone else may be interested in asking Brandon if they go to once of his events (if it's been asked before just let me know).

In WoR, Kaladin and Shallan saw 2 (presumed) unmade heading walking around during the highstorm.

My current theory, which seems pretty solid, is that the second (alien and sleek) figure is Re-Shephir, the midnight mother.  I laid out the theory here, and it seems pretty solid: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/48243-striding-the-storm/

Basically, I'd just ask Brandon if we've seen the names of those entities before, or maybe a more specific question based on that.  I don't believe that Brandon has been asked about those two figures yet.  But again, if he has, just let me know.

I'll also see if I can get to any events, but very likely will not be able to.

I have always assumed that one of those was the Stormfather (Rider of the Storms), though that may not be true.  The other being Re-Shephir makes sense to me, and while others have asked why the Stormfather would be leading her, keep in mind he was well and truly broken, ready to end humanity because of his pain, and to save his "children".  This could have been part of his plan at the time.

jW

I have always assumed that one of those was the Stormfather (Rider of the Storms), though that may not be true.  The other being Re-Shephir makes sense to me, and while others have asked why the Stormfather would be leading her, keep in mind he was well and truly broken, ready to end humanity because of his pain, and to save his "children".  This could have been part of his plan at the time.

I'm not on board with the stormfather idea.  At all.

First, Eshonai mentions that adopting stormform will focus the unmade's attention on Narak.  If this is true, the unmade wouldn't need the stormfather to guide them to Narak, as they'd already know where it is.

Second, Stormfather seems to be at worst apathetic, and not actively sabotaging the human's chances for survival.  He's letting the desolation begin, not kickstarting it.

I'm not on board with the stormfather idea. At all.

First, Eshonai mentions that adopting stormform will focus the unmade's attention on Narak. If this is true, the unmade wouldn't need the stormfather to guide them to Narak, as they'd already know where it is.

Second, Stormfather seems to be at worst apathetic, and not actively sabotaging the human's chances for survival. He's letting the desolation begin, not kickstarting it.

He brought the highstorm early, the one that clashed with the Everstorm, because he believed it would be best to destroy men. Syl says that directly (don't have the quote right now since I'm on my phone). I don't know if he was of that mindset then as well, but it doesn't seem unlikely.

jW

I have a pet theory that all of the major spren who are active in Roshar's Physical Realm (Stormfather, the named Unmade, and probably the Nightwatcher) are bonded to massive greatshells. Thus the glowing figure would be the Stormfather and the sleek, alien one is the greatshell to which He is bonded.

This is a theory that as of yet is not supported by too much evidence, but I think these spren, like the spren that form the Nahel bond with humans, are mindless in the physical realm unless they are bonded to something "alive." 

This is also what I believe to be the basis of the name "Unmade." I believe that the greatshells that became bonded to the Unmade were on Roshar before the Shards came, and they were originally bonded to spren of Adonalsium when He/She/It first created the planet, but Odium created spren that "hijacked" the greatshells. Thus they were "unmade" from their original form.

Edited by King's Twit

He brought the highstorm early, the one that clashed with the Everstorm, because he believed it would be best to destroy men. Syl says that directly (don't have the quote right now since I'm on my phone). I don't know if he was of that mindset then as well, but it doesn't seem unlikely.

jW

But the point of that was to kill them all quickly so they didn't have to go through another desolation wasn't it?

It's been a while since I've read WoR admittedly.

But the point of that was to kill them all quickly so they didn't have to go through another desolation wasn't it?

It's been a while since I've read WoR admittedly.

I just searched for it:

“My father,” Syl said, voice growing solemn. “He brought the storm, rushing its pace. He’s . . . broken, Kaladin. He doesn’t think any of this should be happening. He wants to end it all, wash everyone away, and try to hide from the future.”
Her father . . . did that mean the Stormfather wanted them dead?

It's somewhat unclear, but it reads to me like the Stormfather wants to just wipe away humanity and act like nothing is wrong, basically.

jW

Edited by Jondesu

It's somewhat unclear, but it reads to me like the Stormfather wants to just wipe away humanity and act like nothing is wrong, basically.

It's pretty obvious that he cracked once the desolation began.  His failure was not preventing it, so it makes no sense for him to do anything that would actively aid the voidbringers returning.

My question is:

WILL BELA EVER SHOW UP IN ROSHAR? HAS SHE ALREADY? (BELA = CREATOR FTW.)

I'm sorry- I had to. I know WoT isn't part of the Cosmere, so don't hate on me here...

Of course Bela will show up... She will be Adolin's next mount  -_- He is in need of a horse and Bela is always ready for the horse-less people of the world  -_-

Lighteyes men cannot read or write except stormwardens.

However, in WoR, there is a scene where Shallan and Adolin are out in a restaurant, and Adolin picks a wine off the menu.

How does that work?

Lighteyes men cannot read or write except stormwardens.

However, in WoR, there is a scene where Shallan and Adolin are out in a restaurant, and Adolin picks a wine off the menu.

How does that work?

Men can read glyphs as they are "pictures" and not writing. 

But Adolin can't read glyphs so how is he doing it? I think it is a valid point axcellence raised......

Adolin can read glyph. That's a basic necessity on the battlefield where the banners were showing glyphs, and the catalog he was shown looking through had glyphs I believe. Most if not all men read glyphs, just not true writing (women's script).

jW

I do believe he doesn't recognize the glyphs Navani was burning for a prayer though.

Stands to reason he knows all the practical ones.

Hmm, good point, I forgot about that. Maybe if was stylized in a way that changed the meaning of the glyph?

jW

But Adolin can't read glyphs so how is he doing it? I think it is a valid point axcellence raised......

Words of Radiance page 568 "Yeah" Adolin said. He leaned toward her, as if conspiratorial. "Honestly, I don't pay a lot of attention. Renarin knows the difference between them - He'll drone on if you let him. Me, I order something that sounds important, but I'm really just choosing based on color."

My understanding of that would be the equivalency of me going to a french restaurant, and picking something with a really long and complicated name and thinking that means it is good. Could result in me getting escargot but he doesn't seem overly finicky when it comes to wine. I would imagine the wine list would be very much like the list we have today where there is a list of whites, and then a list of reds, though in their case it would be more lists due to more colors. Considering most glyphs on store fronts take a form that is similar to what they are selling to help attract the illiterate, I would imagine in a culture based on reading and writing of any kind being unmanly, would color code the lists. So green wines would have a green glyph at the top, and perhaps the descriptions are green as well. Admittedly Adolin does not know complex glyphs such as:

Word of Radiance page 221 "It says safety and glory," Navani said.

If Adolin didn't know any glyphs at all then I can not imagine how he could travel through the camps, as well as recognize other highprince's glyph pairs. So I feel he is like he knows enough to get by, but does not use them often enough to be eloquent. 

I have a hard time thinking "safety" and "glory" were hard glyphs to master and if you read further down this chapter, Navani calls Adolin out for not knowing any glyphs. She states it wouldn't hurt him to learn a few glyphs to which he answered it never seemed important....

He also can't read the numbers Renarin makes on the wall....

So huh it is fair to assume his knowledge is extremely sparse.