Feruchemical Dentistry

Cephandrius

Hi all, being new here, I just discovered this topic on alternative bakery products, and it got me thinking - 

Can a Feruchemist use fillings or braces or any metal touching the teeth and nothing else use them as a metalmind?  As long as they are the right metal obviously.  

For that matter, what about using fillings as Hemalurgic spikes?  would there be any bind points in the teeth?

I would request the communities thoughts on this matter of utmost import.  

Edited by Cephandrius

I say yes, you can use tooth fillings as metalminds. I am not sure having them just touch your teeth is enough, teeth are semi-not alive to me, like hair or nails (as we know you can cut hair with a shardblade, so it is not alive alive realmatically speaking), then again I would also accept the argument that teeth are more alive than hair...

I say yes, it is enough for the metal to touch your teeth. Would actually be an interesting way to hide that you are a feruchemist...

I say yes, you can use tooth fillings as metalminds. I am not sure having them just touch your teeth is enough, teeth are semi-not alive to me, like hair or nails (as we know you can cut hair with a shardblade, so it is not alive alive realmatically speaking), then again I would also accept the argument that teeth are more alive than hair...

I say yes, it is enough for the metal to touch your teeth. Would actually be an interesting way to hide that you are a feruchemist...

Well I would say regardless, your gums would still be touching the metal so that would count as living tissue in contact. 

I'm actually rather dissapointed in Wayne for not having any gold teeth...If I realized I was a bloodmaker...I would loanshark the money necessary to have my 12 back most teeth done, pronto.

(If the loanshark takes my thumbs I can grow them back!)

I'm actually rather dissapointed in Wayne for not having any gold teeth...If I realized I was a bloodmaker...I would loanshark the money necessary to have my 12 back most teeth done, pronto.

(If the loanshark takes my thumbs I can grow them back!)

and then after a good right or left hook, there goes your metal minds lol (I agree it is a good idea for Wayne, just found the image of him being toothless and unable to heal for a little while hilarious)

This is brilliant. The metal is touching your body, so you can use it Feruchemically. It's Invested, so it's already hard to Push, and is made more difficult to Push since it's inside your body. You could even burn it Allomanticallly if you wanted. Why didn't Rashek do this? It's harder to laugh than bracers, and could be a backup supply of feruchemical power.

Why didn't Rashek do this? It's harder to laugh than bracers, and could be a backup supply of feruchemical power.

Who exactly in the Final Empire would you trust with that particular operation?  Certainly not the Inquisitors.  The obligators fall into two categories; devout priests of the Steel Ministry whose faith would be shaken by seeing their god at their mercy, and former nobles looking to get ahead.  Outside the Steel Ministry, there are the nobles, for whom scheming and plotting are a day job, and there are the skaa, who hate and fear the Lord Ruler, when they aren't being Soothed into complacency.  

Who exactly in the Final Empire would you trust with that particular operation?  Certainly not the Inquisitors.  The obligators fall into two categories; devout priests of the Steel Ministry whose faith would be shaken by seeing their god at their mercy, and former nobles looking to get ahead.  Outside the Steel Ministry, there are the nobles, for whom scheming and plotting are a day job, and there are the skaa, who hate and fear the Lord Ruler, when they aren't being Soothed into complacency.  

Would he really need them to? Set up a mirror, rip out your own tooth, slide in the metalmind tooth, heal just enough that the bone and gum closes over the implant. Rinse and repeat. 

Would he really need them to? Set up a mirror, rip out your own tooth, slide in the metalmind tooth, heal just enough that the bone and gum closes over the implant. Rinse and repeat. 

Wouldn't the healing push the metalmind out?

Wouldn't the healing push the metalmind out?

There are WoB that a more skilled feruchemist can choose to draw strength from only an arm, while the rest is normal and etc. So we have reason to believe a skilled feruchemist can be selective in where and what they store and tap. The Lord Ruler I would imagine would be quite up there and able to decide to have it gums and the bone around the implant close, but not have a brand new tooth grow into the hole. 

edit: we also have Sazed as an example where the rings shot into him were healed around, but not ejected from his body. He was also able to store and tap from those while they were located there

Edited by Pathfinder

Well, the question is: would you do that? I mean, you're a Fullborn. There is no one who would be a threat for you, but in case somebody is insane enough to try, have your metalminds pierce your skin. Unless some noble (face it, what is the probability of skaa-born Mistborn? Mistborns are rare enough even in noble houses) went supercrazy (because why would a sane noble want to attack you? You're their god, they're priviledged class...) you're safe.
Time of powerful Allomancers ended long ago. The Mistborn would need duraluminum. What is the chance that he discovers that there are more metals than ten? Very low. Finding aluminum? Very hard. Finding correct alloy of aluminum? Very hard.

Not only your metalminds pierce your skin making them practically immune to Allomancy, they're also heavily Invested, further pushing the difficulty of Pulling on them.

So your metalminds are safe, you're safe. With all that knowledge, would you go and rip your own tooth out just to have it replaced with a small metalmind? I'd have better things to do than ripping my teeth out. It hurts, you know?

Because you're making yourself (a self-proclaimed god) look vulnerable before some just to create a failsafe in preparation for a supposedly impossible event.

Actually a good hit will knock the teeth out so piercing bracers are actually safer. In the event that he does get hit by something despite ridiculous speed. Which is just slightly less impossible.

Edited by natc

This is gonna turn into another "how TLR was even defeated" thread, isn't it?

First, you have to know that TLR is not a God and can be defeated. Not particularly hard.
Second, you have to know that it is possible for a person to be both Feruchemist and Allomancer. Third, you have to guess he is. Fourth, you need a way to remove metalminds.

Feruchemy route: spend few years storing speed. Overtap steel to flash in the Kredik Shaw and get the metalminds. Probably not gonna work since TLR can easily outspeed the you due to having infinite speed.

Allomancy route: iron savant + duraluminum. You have to obtain duraluminum:
"The Mistborn would need duraluminum. What is the chance that he discovers that there are more metals than ten? Very low. Finding aluminum? Very hard. Finding correct alloy of aluminum? Very hard"

And even then I'm not sure duraluminum would suffice. We have evidence for duraluminum enhanced steel affecting spikes, but that was Vin. Vin was special.
But even then, TLR's metalminds are not only piercing his body (as spikes do) but also insanely heavy Invested. We'd need a WoB.

Vin's route:

1. be chosen by the Shard
  2. have TLR accidentaly rip out your Hemalurgic spike
  3. burn the mists
  4. ???
  5. TLR's dead!
Edited by Oversleep

There's also the "be fullborn yourself" route, but that's not ever gonna happen with the Lord Ruler around.

Just to point out as well, according to BoM the Empire's aluminum was harvested from inside ashmounts. Then there's the problem of purity, which is the current snag to cheap aluminum in Elendel.

Why do it? Why not do it? Your metalminds are literally your only weakness. Why not implant some backup ones in your teeth in case someone actually manages to remove your metalminds?

Because if you want to compound them at all, you'd need to burn them.  

There's also the "be fullborn yourself" route, but that's not ever gonna happen with the Lord Ruler around.

Natural-born Fullborn is probably almost impossible. Seriously, after the bloodlines started to mix we don't have Mistborns (and they were already rare) and Full Feruchemists are unheard of (if they still exist). Now, Ferring Mistborn or Misting Full Feruchemist is even less probable to be born. Fullborn? Not gonna happen until we get to genetic modifications...

Or Hemalurgy, but knowledge about it was restricted to Canton of Inquisition.

Anyway, even if we get another Fullborn to battle TLR, we have to keep in mind that now they're equal in power. TLR has 1000 years of experience with his power. TLR has probably access to more metals than the second Fullborn would think possible to exist (as it was believed that there are only 10 metals).

Because you're making yourself (a self-proclaimed god) look vulnerable before some just to create a failsafe in preparation for a supposedly impossible event.

Actually a good hit will knock the teeth out so piercing bracers are actually safer. In the event that he does get hit by something despite ridiculous speed. Which is just slightly less impossible.

See my issue with that is one, i already said how he could do it without anyone around to "see him be vulnerable" and two, every time he went to his private hut to be old he was guarded by inquisitors that saw him like that. So they did see him "vulnerable"

He looked vulnerable, yes, But if an inquisitor decided to pull a Marsh inside the Hut of Agecension (that's what I'm calling it now), TLR could probably crush him without even going young again, which he could totally have done if he had to.  Plus, Inquisitors were super-special-extra loyal due to a combo of the background check and TLR's own use of the hemalurgic mind-control weakness on them.  So the rebel inquisitor would have to fight both the other inquisitors in the room, TLR Himself (at full power), and his own brain.  Not gonna work.

He looked vulnerable, yes, But if an inquisitor decided to pull a Marsh inside the Hut of Agecension (that's what I'm calling it now), TLR could probably crush him without even going young again, which he could totally have done if he had to.  Plus, Inquisitors were super-special-extra loyal due to a combo of the background check and TLR's own use of the hemalurgic mind-control weakness on them.  So the rebel inquisitor would have to fight both the other inquisitors in the room, TLR Himself (at full power), and his own brain.  Not gonna work.

And him with all his bracers on, in a room alone, taking out his own tooth and putting in a new one makes him more vulnerable to attack how?

And him with all his bracers on, in a room alone, taking out his own tooth and putting in a new one makes him more vulnerable to attack how?

It doesn't, and actually makes him less vulnerable, as a good knock to the face could let him swallow a gold (for example) tooth and get ten times the delicious healing (for example) he was putting in it as a metalmind.

Looking at your post again, I think we're in agreement for the most part.  I was just saying "Inquisitors seeing him vulnerable" is wrong because he was not vulnerable even then.  Ignore everything else you might think i meant.  

It doesn't, and actually makes him less vulnerable, as a good knock to the face could let him swallow a gold (for example) tooth and get ten times the delicious healing (for example) he was putting in it as a metalmind.

Looking at your post again, I think we're in agreement for the most part.  I was just saying "Inquisitors seeing him vulnerable" is wrong because he was not vulnerable even then.  Ignore everything else you might think i meant.  

lol no worries, I've done the same myself in the past.