A possible reason odium was able to defeat honor.

DrakeMarshall

This is rather a lot of speculation. But I still think it is a fascinating idea.

So I have mentioned earlier, I am pretty sure the way to splinter a shard is to have more investiture on hand than they do. So if one shard are more invested than another (for example, preservation being slightly more invested on scadrial than ruin), the more invested shard will eventually be able to splinter the less invested one. This is precisely how Ati killed Leras. This also explains why shards tend to fight indirectly (for example, the desolations and the heralds forming a kind of proxy war for odium and honor).

How would this work on adolnasium? Not exactly sure, unless adolnasium invested so much in everything that people were able to overpower it.

So anyway. We know that Rayse killed Tanavast. By the above reasoning, this means that honor would have to be more invested than odium.

I predict that this piece of investiture honor did not have access to when being splintered by odium was the stormfather. I will pull the quote up later, but in WoR it says the stormfather fled when honor and odium fought. Perhaps this extra bit of power deserting Tanavast is what caused his death.

The one big flaw in your theory is that Ati killed Leras, yet the Shard wasn't Splintered.  Perhaps that's because

Kelsier picked it up

, but that's unconfirmed as far as I can tell.  I think there's something else that has to be involved beyond just "I'm stronger than you because I have more investiture".

jW

SH Spoiler

Just to clarify, in SH Leras said something to Kell like "He's splintering my power, he's going to destroy it" so yes, Jondesu, that's why. It seems nobody stopped Odium from splintering other Shards

Thanks, awesome quote. I need to reread SH.

jW

• Chaos locked this topic