Wayne Disapproval Thread (Potential Wayne-related spoilers)

aeromancer

*sigh* The pair of you. Do you not get what this thread is? I am not hating on Wayne. That is not what I'm doing, this is the Wayne Disapproval Thread, not the Wayne Hatred Thread. I have no objective problem with Wayne as a character - if he was the antagonist or the recurring gag character.

@ Mr. Staccato: I respect all opinions and will never down vote someone for a frank expression of opinion, but as a tree themed professor once said, there's a time and place for everything. While I do respect opinions, saying that "Wayne will be Wayne"...

... Yeah that's the very reason I disapprove of him. I'll have to agree to disagree with you.

A character doesn't have to be a good person to be a good character or even a likable character. Case in point, Tyrion Lannister is a horrible human being, and yet is one of the most popular characters in both A Song of Ice and Fire and the Game of Thrones HBO series.

Haha. I guess this just speaks to how dynamic Martin's characters are, but I would completely disagree that Tyrion Lannister is a horrible human being. In fact, I'd say he's one of the best human beings in Westeroes. He's intelligent and questioning, he's one of the few that understands both privilege and resentment, he doesn't go around raping and murdering for the fun of it, he honestly cares about the people around him, and he'll even go out of his way to help Bran ride a horse even though his mother and brother are being total #$^&s to him for no other reason than his last name being Lannister.

[/tangent]

I really like Wayne. He offers a different perspective on things and says some really funny things. He is quite certainly rash - ruining the wedding is proof of that. For me, that's not enough to dislike him. If nothing else, I'd say he knew better than Wax did that Wax wasn't ready for marrying Steris right then. And, to be fair, Wayne was right.

In my opinion, Wayne pulled his stunt at the wedding because he knew his best friend wasn't ready to commit to the relationship.

also I would love to see a book with Wayne, Lopen and Hoid at restaurant setting only to be joined later that evening by Steris. Let the fun times roll.

To be honest, I feel like the marriage would've been worse off if they did it before their little bonding on this trip.

So while I question the justifications behind doing this it actually helped somewhat in the end.

also I would love to see a book with Wayne, Lopen and Hoid at restaurant setting only to be joined later that evening by Steris. Let the fun times roll.

I am seriously considering starting a Lopen Disapproval Thread. He has most of the things I dislike about Wayne and none of the redeeming features, being only a ridiculous comic relief source who is also a token minority character, and adds next to nothing in terms of advancing the plot, adding to worldbuilding or causing development on more interesting characters.

To be honest, I feel like the marriage would've been worse off if they did it before their little bonding on this trip.

So while I question the justifications behind doing this it actually helped somewhat in the end.

I kind of agree with you.  During the ceremony, he looked over and was expecting to see Lessie on his arm.

But even still, I feel like he should have put the boys who did loosen the water towers bolts in the hospital for what they did.  not just smack them around a little bit.  And even going so far as to object (if thats part of the ceremony, not sure in this universe), citing that wax would be miserable with her as a wife.  Though he could have done other things to try and loosen her up a bit.  Get her to laugh at his jokes, help her get wax involved with the house finance stuff, maybe even get merrasi to show her how to shoot.  Something besides needing to ruin a wedding, while its in progress.

I kind of agree with you.  During the ceremony, he looked over and was expecting to see Lessie on his arm.

But even still, I feel like he should have put the boys who did loosen the water towers bolts in the hospital for what they did.  not just smack them around a little bit.  And even going so far as to object (if thats part of the ceremony, not sure in this universe), citing that wax would be miserable with her as a wife.  Though he could have done other things to try and loosen her up a bit.  Get her to laugh at his jokes, help her get wax involved with the house finance stuff, maybe even get merrasi to show her how to shoot.  Something besides needing to ruin a wedding, while its in progress.

I don't see Wax at that point in the story listening to Wayne if he stood up to object during the ceremony. 

Still doesn't make it right. I do not believe that the ends justify the means.

I dunno, it could be argued taking drastic measures to get someone you care about out of an abusive relationship would be altruistic. Now in this case true Steris is not abusive, but Wayne knows how destroyed Wax was when Lessie died. Wayne also knows how dedicated Wax can be to holding to his word. So at least from Wayne's perspective I could see him viewing what Wax is going to do is consigning his friend to a life where he is miserable and empty all to avoid being hurt again. Wax spared Wayne's life when he didn't need to and gave him a second chance. At least from Wayne's perspective I could see him feeling this is him trying to save Wax and give him a second chance. I think this is expanded upon that when Wayne saw Wax ended up truly being happy and in love with Steris, he backed off and in fact supported them.

We're all concentrating on the water tower issue.

But what about the other things he does?

The 'trading' he gets away with.  Or the lying to everyone in the form of his disguises.  His badgering of Ranette, after she made it clear she didn't want him.  Willing to hear the Kandra out, after Harmony had minipulated his best friend.  Hooking up with Melaan during a gunfight (that ones not so bad, but still he left wax hanging).

No one else has a problem with these?

We're all concentrating on the water tower issue.

But what about the other things he does?

The 'trading' he gets away with.  Or the lying to everyone in the form of his disguises.  His badgering of Ranette, after she made it clear she didn't want him.  Willing to hear the Kandra out, after Harmony had minipulated his best friend.  Hooking up with Melaan during a gunfight (that ones not so bad, but still he left wax hanging).

No one else has a problem with these?

Trading I believe it a literary quirk of his character for humor. Lying to everyone in a form of disguise to catch a bad guy is bad? Then what is Wax who kills people? What he did with Ranette was wrong of him, but he grew as an individual, apologized and respected her feelings after that. He heard the kandra out because he knew information, regardless the source is better than willful ignorance. He clearly never liked them, and still made their lives hard (a la Vendel) but still listened in case it was something important to Wax, even if Wax wasn't ready to hear it. He would bear it for him. Hooking up with MeLaan during the gunfight was because they were secure on a train, could not hear the ruckus and had no reason to believe a fight would happen right then and there. Yes such things tend to happen to the group, but by that logic they should never sleep either. 

Edited by Pathfinder

To add to that, for the train track noise excuse to work they would have to have been hooking up pretty intensely long before the fight even began to just not notice it. Seems it was a good idea at the time. By Wayne standards.

And no, he disguises for no particular reason too, at times, but it's not like he's really doing anything with that either so it's really not an isse. Trading wise, he seems to have kleptomania to be honest. Wax isn't better off, he asks Wayne to steal records from the constabulary back in AoL.

Personally, I think we're going a little far if we're judging Wayne for getting some action. Unless you want to suggest that he was lying, actually knew there was a battle going on and decided to continue playing tonsil hockey anyway. Does anyone actually think this is the case?

No, I don't.

But I thought this was the thread where we vented our frustrations about Wayne.  Hence my list above.

Just to be clear, I like Wayne overall.  I think he helps keep the story grounded.  While everyone else is talking about god like beings, imortal shape shifters, metal mines that can be used by anyone, Wayne is wondering about how people place value on things.  It helps keep the story on the ground, and not so far above us that we can't relate.

No, I don't.

But I thought this was the thread where we vented our frustrations about Wayne.  Hence my list above.

Just to be clear, I like Wayne overall.  I think he helps keep the story grounded.  While everyone else is talking about god like beings, imortal shape shifters, metal mines that can be used by anyone, Wayne is wondering about how people place value on things.  It helps keep the story on the ground, and not so far above us that we can't relate.

No worries, but in your post you literally asked if anyone else had a problem with those issues, and I responded as to why I personally do not. 

"I like Wayne", "He's funny", "Ooh, shiny."

Also, I literally named myself after him. This thread is evil. Assemble the Church of Wayne to destroy the insurgents! :P

Easy there, my friend.  Ours is a peaceful faith; no holy wars allowed!  :)

"I like Wayne", "He's funny", "Ooh, shiny."

Also, I literally named myself after him. This thread is evil. Assemble the Church of Wayne to destroy the insurgents! :P

You are a failure, you do realize that, right? "He's funny" is in the same quotes as "ooh shiny". I am mocking Wayne for his attention deficit - hey! donuts! If you're going to mock me mocking Wayne, at least have the decency to do it properly.

In case you haven't realized, while you may have named yourself after Wayne, my picture is KANE. As in Brotherhood of Nod Kane. You want to destroy the insurgents? Heh. Peace. Through. Power. Release the REDEEMER! (http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Redeemer)

EDIT: That's ... weird. I thought I accidentally double posted, but it looks like I didn't.

Edited by aeromancer