White Sand Blurb!!!

Young Bard

So, I was recently linked to the Amazon page for White Sand, and the blurb just had a massive name drop.

On the planet of Taldain, the legendary Sand Masters harness arcane powers to manipulate sand in spectacular ways. But when they are slaughtered in a sinister conspiracy, the weakest of their number, Kenton, believes himself to be the only survivor. With enemies closing in on all sides, Kenton forges an unlikely partnership with Khriss -- a mysterious Darksider who hides secrets of her own.

So, it looks like we're going to see Khriss's origin story. Is anyone else really, really excited? Knowing a bit more about Khriss's personality might even tell us the motives of the (in-world) 17th Shard.

EDIT: To the admins: This is OK to post, isn't it? It isn't supposed to be a massive secret until people see her name in the books?

Edited by The Young Bard

From my understanding White Sand is very early in the timeline.

That's actually what I'm most curious about - the status of Taldain (the White Sand planet) as of the later books in the cosmere, like Bands of Mourning and Stormlight Archive. How advanced are the cultures on Taldain as a whole at this point, as compared to the Scadrians or the Elantrians? Is worldhopping and awareness of the other planets common knowledge, are they approaching space travel of their own, or is Khriss an outlier, a cosmere aware individual who originated on Taldain but whose knowledge and interaction with the rest of the cosmere outstrips the rest of her planet's?

Well, I got the impression that the 17th Shard actively recruited it's members from wherever they were living (and taught them specifically, keeping it secret from the general populances). Hence why so many characters who appeared in the main storyline then went on to worldhop while the mains never learned 'the trick'. Khriss, however, having founded the 17th Shard, might not have gotten such preferential treatment. Or else, Frost taught her for some reason (hence Hoid saying 'your friends in the 17th Shard' to Frost in the Letter, if he was involved with them somehow. He has a non-intervention policy though, so I'm not sure why he would.)

I'm very intrigued about the whole Frost/Khriss relationship, due to some things in M:SH. If we didn't have WoB that the Ars Arcanum author was part of the Seventeenth Shard, and Khriss is almost definitely that writer, I'd tend to say Khriss isn't part of the group at all.

Wait, do we have confirmation Khriss and Nash are actually 17th Shard members?

Yes, Brandon has said that the person writing the Ars Arcanum was either Hoid of a Seventeenth Shard member. He later said it was not Hoid. He later confirmed it was Khriss. Therefore Khriss is a member.

I'm not sure if this is a mistake or not, given the blunders Amazon has made with Sanderson books in recent history.

Topic was hidden for a bit while I checked, this one's fine. We even have a news article on the same thing now. 

Okay, so either there are a ton of Khriss WoBs out there that I haven't seen before, or this is an assumption. Certainly the Letter indicates that the Seventeenth Shard was founded by Frost, not Khriss.

I don't think the letters say that at all. It says that Frost has a relationship with the Seventeenth shard, Hoid calls them Frost's friends. That doesn't necessitate Frost founding the organization.

So, I was recently linked to the Amazon page for White Sand, and the blurb just had a massive name drop.

So, it looks like we're going to see Khriss's origin story. Is anyone else really, really excited? Knowing a bit more about Khriss's personality might even tell us the motives of the (in-world) 17th Shard.

EDIT: To the admins: This is OK to post, isn't it? It isn't supposed to be a massive secret until people see her name in the books?

I'm mostly excited to see what has changed from the unpublished work.  I've only read a few graphic novels so I am curious as to see what has been left out, added, or changed.  

Side note: The story is mainly about Kenton, so don't be disappointed if Khriss isn't the main focus.

Edited by tobar14

So...Khriss is referred to as a Darksider. This has me thinking about Trell and Nalt. i have no real basis for his theory but what if when Ati and Leras created Scadrial they imparted a religion from Yolen and this is what Trelagism is based off of?

They might have done, once they created humans.  But Taldain is tidally locked, so Khriss is literally from the dark side of Taldain, hence the moniker.  

• Chaos locked this topic