M: Secret History spoiler, Penguins are cute

Voidus

So I couldn't think of a non-spoilery title so I choose to hide behind a wall of randomness instead. :P

Anyone else think it might be possible that the eye-spike of the survivor may be from Marsh?

(Minor BoM spoilers)

The scene where Wayne pretends to be Death looking for a missing spike may have been a clue.

If it is indeed Kelsier then I feel like it was his way of trying to make up to Marsh to get an eye-spike since there doesn't seem to be any particular reason to spike your eye in particular.

Of the people still alive when the Sovereign first appeared, he would probably have the most Connection to Spook and Marsh.  So yeah, I could totally see that he had to hack together as many Connections as possible and so grabbed one of Marsh's spikes.

Of course, we have to wonder what Sazed thought about this, since usually "experimenting with Hemalurgy" is synonymous with "murder."  Just randomly sticking a spike through an eye is not going to be healthy, so it must mean that he's some sort of Hemalurgic construct.  It could be that the spike is what keeps his spirit tethered to his body, and that he needed one with a lot of Connection to make that work.

If it is indeed Kelsier then I feel like it was his way of trying to make up to Marsh to get an eye-spike since there doesn't seem to be any particular reason to spike your eye in particular.

Eyes are the window to the soul.  If you wanted to spike someone and overwrite their soul with yours, where else would the spike go?

Heart's the uniform bind point to steal a particular power with w/e spike you're using

We're not trying to steal though, we're trying to add.

Although thinking about it, you would probably need a spike through the heart to remove the soul of the person inhabiting the body first. (or find someone without a soul). Logically that hole would be plugged with another spike in the same place.  Then again logic doesn't mean much with Hemalurgy.

Nah, the heart is where you rip their soul out. You don't eat with the hole stuff comes out of, do you? Unless you're a computer-literate jellyfish or something.

Well you're trying to do both, rip one soul out and stuff another one in. Heart seems like a good spot.

Well you're trying to do both, rip one soul out and stuff another one in. Heart seems like a good spot.

A person with a spike in the eye and scars on his hands behaves like Kelsier would and saves a whole people (in fact, five peoples).

Let's assume for a moment this is Kelsier, because all signs point to it.  It is not unreasonable to think that his ability to get back to Physical Realm has to do with Hemalurgy. After all, he *really wanted* Spook to run some experiments for him. The experiments appear to have succeeded (or scared Sazed into granting Kelsier his wish).

Two questions are: (a) what is the mechanism for getting Kelsier's soul back into a physical body, and (B) why does the body look like Kelsier.

(a) I suspect multiple spikes are involved. At first sight I'd say we need to transfer Identity (the body acquiring Kelsier's soul). That's one. We also know that this may be impossible without Connection. That's two.  Possibly, we need Investiture as well to power the Frankenstein's monster we construct this way. That's three.

(B) The body looking like Kelsier is probably the result of it having Kelsier's soul and therefore deciding that it must look like Kelsier. See: Peacful, Warbreaker The, and Stormblessed, Kaladin... (Lopen, too for that matter).

• Chaos locked this topic