[Mistborn Novella Spoilers] Are they who I think they are?

Blightsong

The Ire are Elantrians right? I'm pretty sure we just got a look at a society of them centuries after Raoden and Irene. Very strange, this novella is packed with Cosmere info.

Edit: Did we also seer then use sine kind of AonFabrial? Veeeeeery interesting. It seems to involve geme stones, which reminds me of Roshar. Thoughts?

Edited by Blightsong

I wonder if Raoden is still around.  Elantrians are immortal, right?  Hmmmmmmm or these could be ones who went into the blue Shardpool above Elantris.......

IRE means something in Elantrian, but they don't say what.

“Yes, the I-ree,” Preservation said, pronouncing it in a slightly different way. “Three letters. I R E. It means something in their language, these people from another land. The ones who died, but did not. I have felt them crowding at the edges of my vision, like spirits in the night.”

“Dead, but alive,” Kelsier said. “Like me?”

“No.”

“Then what?”

“Died, but did not.”

As Weiry said earlier, Ire is an Aon. It means age. (See http://coppermind.net/wiki/Aon )

There is no doubt the Ire are Aonic. Alonoe is a lake in Arelon. They say Merciful Domi. So that's pretty clear. They are almost assuredly Elantrians. But here is my question: are these pre-Reod Elantrians, or post-Reod Elantrians?

This makes a huge difference in how we see the Ire and it is not necessarily obvious what the answer would be. That fortress has been there a long time, Preservation says. It is certainly possible it is older than the few centuries between Elantris and Mistborn Era 1.

They don't quite look like the Elantrians in Elantris--more like an aged version (which shouldn't exist). It's interesting that they mention Devotion, given that no one on the Sel that we read about in Elantris and The Emperor's Soul seemed to know anything about the Shard. Of course, one would expect worldhoppers to learn additional things about the Cosmere. However, the character uses "Devotion" in the context of an exclamation, something that would be cultural and reflexive. I think it probable that exclaiming, "Devotion protect us!" was part of these aged Elantrians' original culture. So my guess is that they are really old--like before their Shards were splintered old--and it isn't quite accurate to call them Elantrians. Rather, they are the original version of the manifestation of Selish magic that now shows up in the form of Elantrians.

They don't quite look like the Elantrians in Elantris--more like an aged version (which shouldn't exist). It's interesting that they mention Devotion, given that no one on the Sel that we read about in Elantris and The Emperor's Soul seemed to know anything about the Shard. Of course, one would expect worldhoppers to learn additional things about the Cosmere. However, the character uses "Devotion" in the context of an exclamation, something that would be cultural and reflexive. I think it probable that exclaiming, "Devotion protect us!" was part of these aged Elantrians' original culture. So my guess is that they are really old--like before their Shards were splintered old--and it isn't quite accurate to call them Elantrians. Rather, they are the original version of the manifestation of Selish magic that now shows up in the form of Elantrians.

I'd say they were newer Elantrians actually. Sel is the most cosmere aware planet and Elantris happened before the mistborn trilogy. If they are an aged version then why would they want a new shard anyway? Devotion probably wasn't splintered then. It makes more sense for them to want a new shard's power if Devotion is splinterd they want to  fix the harm done.

Anyway, I assumed they were old because they were away fro Sel. Remember the Elantrians magic system is based on their location. Maybe these Elantrians are kind of having an incomplete Shaod. They are between worlds and don't have a working connection to investiture at the moment. The glowing stuff gives them enough investiture that they don't become completely useless but it's not ideal. I actually thin k the glowing stuff is liquid from their shard pool but I could be wrong.

I'd say they were newer Elantrians actually. Sel is the most cosmere aware planet and Elantris happened before the mistborn trilogy. If they are an aged version then why would they want a new shard anyway? Devotion probably wasn't splintered then. It makes more sense for them to want a new shard's power if Devotion is splinterd they want to  fix the harm done.

Anyway, I assumed they were old because they were away fro Sel. Remember the Elantrians magic system is based on their location. Maybe these Elantrians are kind of having an incomplete Shaod. They are between worlds and don't have a working connection to investiture at the moment. The glowing stuff gives them enough investiture that they don't become completely useless but it's not ideal. I actually thin k the glowing stuff is liquid from their shard pool but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying about Devotion not being splintered. The timeframe of the novella is waaaaaay after the Selish Shards were splintered. I was just saying that I suspect that the Ire Elantrians were born a long time ago, before the splintering. One would think that those who had been alive pre-splintering would have more reason to want an intact Shard than those who had always lived with splintered ones. Regardless, I suspect that the Ire want their own Shard for the sake of having that power themselves, not to rectify the situation on Sel.

The Ire are Elantrians right? I'm pretty sure we just got a look at a society of them centuries after Raoden and Irene. Very strange, this novella is packed with Cosmere info.

Edit: Did we also seer then use sine kind of AonFabrial? Veeeeeery interesting. It seems to involve geme stones, which reminds me of Roshar. Thoughts?

I never even noticed that the people in the fortress were Elantrians! I knew that they were powerful and clearly possessed great cognitive abilities (which is something that AonDor practitioners would be good at IMO) but I didn't notice the connection.

To be honest the device they brought made me think of Roshar too, with its various fabrials and other technological devices.

I don't necessarily think that it's an Aon fabrial at all. I think it's just a straight-up fabrial. These guys are worldhoppers, so there's no reason to assume that they got their tech all in one place. That one fabrial in the first Rysn interlude is almost exactly the same thing as the one they use. Of course, this story happens before Stormlight, and if memory serves, most of the fabrials on Roshar are fairly recent developments. So that has interesting implications...

I wonder if Raoden is still around.  Elantrians are immortal, right?  Hmmmmmmm or these could be ones who went into the blue Shardpool above Elantris.......

IRE means something in Elantrian, but they don't say what.

I was thinking they were the ones who got chucked in the pool yeah, Hoid or Preservation (Forget who said it) even said that throwing bodies into a Shardpool was a dumb thing to do.

I never even noticed that the people in the fortress were Elantrians! I knew that they were powerful and clearly possessed great cognitive abilities (which is something that AonDor practitioners would be good at IMO) but I didn't notice the connection.

To be honest the device they brought made me think of Roshar too, with its various fabrials and other technological devices.

Elantris itself is essentially a giant "fabrial", in the sense of being an invested object with a technological purpose, so you can really argue either way that these are either the old Elantrians who knew what they were doing in constructing Elantris, or they're the new ones that have had the time to advance.

I think, however, that the fact that they're in an outpost in the Cognitive Realm that has apparently existed a long time is quite revealing, the only thing I would say that points to any of them being new Elantrians is the reference to Domi.

Between those two facts, it seems almost like the new and old Elantrians have reunited to some degree.

Well, weren't there Elantrians of all different ages in Elantris, the novel? Some were newer, like Raoden, but some of them were centuries old and just rendered mad by the effects of the Reod. Point being, we never really got to see much of the Elantrians after they recovered. There was no real time at the end of the novel for the older Elantrians to share all their knowledge with Raoden and the newer ones, so it's entirely possible that there were ones who remembered Devotion and referenced her in their epithets, and shared their knowledge of the Shards with the younger generations off-panel, after the events of the novel.

Personally, I do think that these are the Elantrians who went through Devotion's Shardpool, and it fixed some of the effects of the Reod when they emerged elsewhere....but also it meant that they weren't present to be completely 'fixed' when Raoden solved the problem. So they're in a kind of in between state, and they're a blend of older Elantrians and younger ones, depending on when they were individually put in the Shardpool.

Edited by ROSHtaFARian2.0

Yeah, I agree that the most likely explanation is that they went through the shardpool. I had forgotten that some Elantrians went through recently, and that if they survived that this might have had a positive effect on their condition. :)

Wow. I never actually considered that they were the ones going through the shardpool. I mean I know they went to the sharpool to worldhop to get to the cognitive realm not the really old ones who wanted to die. I thought that people who willingly went to the shardpool to die just dissolved and went the "beyond". So are you suggesting that they are the Elantrians that wanted to die or the Hoeds that Raoden took to the pool?

Wow. I never actually considered that they were the ones going through the shardpool. I mean I know they went to the sharpool to worldhop to get to the cognitive realm not the really old ones who wanted to die. I thought that people who willingly went to the shardpool to die just dissolved and went the "beyond". So are you suggesting that they are the Elantrians that wanted to die or the Hoeds that Raoden took to the pool?

Yup, exactly. In Elantris, the novel, they always established that they didn't know what putting the Elantrians through the Shardpool actually did, so it's entirely possible that they went through, thinking they had finally had enough of immortality (pre-Reod), or the madness (post-Reod) and that they were going to their deaths or some kind of final rest....only instead to find themselves in the Cognitive Realm or at another Shardpool elsewhere.

• Chaos locked this topic