Question 18

TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Oh right, I do remember that vaguely, it was an interesting concept but no I haven't put it in officially.

And while looking for this discussion I also found some comments from when the Australia RP was just starting and looked really promising.

*Glances at the aptly named Wastelands*
:(

Oh right, I do remember that vaguely, it was an interesting concept but no I haven't put it in officially.

And while looking for this discussion I also found some comments from when the Australia RP was just starting and looked really promising.

*Glances at the aptly named Wastelands*

:(

well, the concept is still there if you make up your mind. :ph34r:

Sorry.  :unsure: 

Me too, although I'm perfectly happy to retcon anything needed if it'll get us new players.

Most cities hadn't had any development anyway, but yeah retconning for newbies is fine

I promise to bring any inspiration Calamity might give me to you guys, if that helps. :ph34r:

I promise to bring any inspiration Calamity might give me to you guys, if that helps. :ph34r:

I hope it does, that is my fond hope, that Calamity's release will give a surge of RP activity across all threads and hopefully revitalize some a bit.

Can someone remind me in few words what is the difference between Wastelands and other threads? Maybe I'll find some time to write there as Corvallis is not too active either.

It's set in Australia rather than a city in Oregon and at present each player is controlling an entire city rather than just a few Epics. We did also have a set game time: real time ratio so that people would post more frequently (1 week real time : 1 day game time) but then we lost a few players and then it was holidays so that's fallen apart a bit.

I don't really know that much about Australia, but isn't it quite sparsely occupated? What kind of interactions can you have between players if there are hundreds kilometers between them? Or lack of interactions is actually part of the idea?

Relatively so, but then part of that means Epics arriving wasn't quite so devastating as it would be in populated countries like the US.

We were really only just getting into it but the idea was that eventually it would lead itself to large-scale interactions like diplomatic envoys or invading armies more than just a couple of Epics meeting up and getting into random mischief. The fixed time ratio would have meant that time proceeded a lot faster than other threads so interactions could be set up a few days in advance without players having to wait months and months.

I still consider all the worldbuilding canon though btw

Most cities hadn't had any development anyway, but yeah retconning for newbies is fine

Has anyone done anything with Townsville? Because, you know, Powerpuff and all, my girls are from "The City of Townsville". Granted, I haven't read Wastelands yet, and am hoping that the development doesn't extend too far back in time, as the girls moved to America prior to being Epics, but then I don't know how far back this worldbuilding you mention has gone.

About Powerpuffs... I always wondered if your Epics watched the cartoon? Did the cartoon even existed in Calamityverse?

I'm gonna thinks about joining the Wasteland, maybe I'll come up with an interesting idea for a city and pick one located near someone who's active.

Has anyone done anything with Townsville? Because, you know, Powerpuff and all, my girls are from "The City of Townsville". Granted, I haven't read Wastelands yet, and am hoping that the development doesn't extend too far back in time, as the girls moved to America prior to being Epics, but then I don't know how far back this worldbuilding you mention has gone.

I don't think anyone did anything there, Brisbane got taken but I don't think the worldbuilding in Queensland extended out much other than the capital.

About Powerpuffs... I always wondered if your Epics watched the cartoon? Did the cartoon even existed in Calamityverse?

I'm gonna thinks about joining the Wasteland, maybe I'll come up with an interesting idea for a city and pick one located near someone who's active.

Blackhoof and I are the only ones really active anymore (Mostly Blackhoof but if even 1 or 2 people particpated again I'd definitely jump back in)

I haven't decided if they watched it. I would assume the cartoon exists since Reckonearth diverges from Earth in 2014, which is well after the show was done and over with. As for whether they've seen the show I don't know yet. I, personally, enjoy the parallels between my girls and the show, hence my wanting them to be from Townsville, but I also don't want to make it too painfully similar (I've already got power sets for Blossom and some of Buttercup, their favorite colors, somewhat personality similarities, plus their father, plus their home city now). I figured Bubbles got her name directly from her powers, and I was going to have Blossom pick hers based on an old nickname she used to have (which I haven't touched on yet). Perhaps the show is the excuse for Buttercup to follow suit? *shrugs*

In Queensland? No nothing was really done with Queensland

the worldbuilding started right after Epics began appearing, mostly. I don't think there are any posts referring to pre-Epic events.

I don't think anyone did anything there, Brisbane got taken but I don't think the worldbuilding in Queensland extended out much other than the capital.

Cool, thanks for the info. I doubt it'll ever even get mentioned more than maybe twice, but I didn't want to introduce a conflict.

Just got a short Heartsleeve post up in Salem. Hopefully it's okay. :unsure:

Also, are there any good opportunities for vanilla characters anywhere, or any that need adopting?

Edited by RippleGylf

But the goal here isn't to win every fight. The goal is to tell a good story. And good stories aren't told about characters who always (or very nearly always) win. They're told about characters who have believable strengths and weaknesses, and in this game, those characters will interact with other characters in ways that should be interesting. What makes those interactions interesting is the fact that some have strong powers with limitations that can be utilized by weaker characters; others have weaker powers that are used creatively. But in every case, it's who the characters are, not what they can do, that takes center stage.

If you want an idea of the limitations that are allowed, check out some character bios, read some scenes in the RP threads--and then, for the sake of making him more interesting, tone it down with Falchion.

Okay, but I don't think that the number of weapons he has really makes him more powerful, they were mostly for variety in the RPs. And my character still can't really kill any high epics, so I still think he's only high epic standard, and not ridiculously powerful. Not to mention his high epicness is even flawed, so certain epics he goes against can kill him for sure. I think he's got quite a few limitations, with his fighting and who he fights with. I do have a personality ready for him to use, It's just hard to give an example of when I'm not actually doing it, but he does have a personality, and who he is. I just want what he can do be cool and useful. I don't want him getting pushed around by some curveball, but he has plenty of flaws in his personality, I just haven't been pressed about them nearly as much to share them, and it's hard to do unless I'm actually RPing for him as I do, so I'm not quite sure what you're worried about.

Increase the age he manifested at, to make it more realistic that he is proficient at weapons. So, instead of 17 maybe hr manifested at 27. Remember Epics age more slowly, so even though he is 35 or so now, he has the physique of an even younger man.

and to be fair, considering he can make a portal and shank someone in the neck or the heart instantly, with little warning, and with almost no way to dodge or block it, it is almost irrelevant HOW skilled he is with his weapons. He can beat any Epic without some sort of PI or defensive power easily.

So he doesn't need to be a master to defend himself if he gets into fights, even with Epics.

I've already said that his portals don't work on epics. They act like forcefields to them, so he couldn't instakill them, and if someone without a PI can't survive a little sword poking, how have they survived so far? My characters probably going to end up in Astoria, you know, land of high epics and whatnot. So not quite sure if there's anybody there without a PI, and if there is, they have other skills for keeping them safe, even if he was fighting them. For your first point, yeah, it does make much more sense to have him be older, 35-ish, but I have zero experience writing from that kind of POV, so I decided to go with a younger character. If this guy is 35, he has something that makes him look younger, which gives him a better body for fighting as well, and the fact that he is very childish in his mannerisms and conversations. They say to write what you know, and while I don't exactly know 18 yo's, it's so much closer than a 35 year old. So I could add another epic power that makes his body in peak condition, (which I set to be about 18 yo-ish,) and he's an eternal teenager-child-thing at heart. That way, the age problem is fixed, but I can still write with what I'm comfortable with.

Edit:

Also, are there any good opportunities for vanilla characters anywhere, or any that need adopting?

Well, I made one a while back that stole experimental tech and pretended to be an epic, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

Edited by Bridge Boy

Okay, but I don't think that the number of weapons he has really makes him more powerful, they were mostly for variety in the RPs. And my character still can't really kill any high epics, so I still think he's only high epic standard, and not ridiculously powerful. Not to mention his high epicness is even flawed, so certain epics he goes against can kill him for sure. I think he's got quite a few limitations, with his fighting and who he fights with. I do have a personality ready for him to use, It's just hard to give an example of when I'm not actually doing it, but he does have a personality, and who he is. I just want what he can do be cool and useful. I don't want him getting pushed around by some curveball, but he has plenty of flaws in his personality, I just haven't been pressed about them nearly as much to share them, and it's hard to do unless I'm actually RPing for him as I do, so I'm not quite sure what you're worried about.

I've already said that his portals don't work on epics. They act like forcefields to them, so he couldn't instakill them, and if someone without a PI can't survive a little sword poking, how have they survived so far? My characters probably going to end up in Astoria, you know, land of high epics and whatnot. So not quite sure if there's anybody there without a PI, and if there is, they have other skills for keeping them safe, even if he was fighting them. For your first point, yeah, it does make much more sense to have him be older, 35-ish, but I have zero experience writing from that kind of POV, so I decided to go with a younger character. If this guy is 35, he has something that makes him look younger, which gives him a better body for fighting as well, and the fact that he is very childish in his mannerisms and conversations. They say to write what you know, and while I don't exactly know 18 yo's, it's so much closer than a 35 year old. So I could add another epic power that makes his body in peak condition, (which I set to be about 18 yo-ish,) and he's an eternal teenager-child-thing at heart. That way, the age problem is fixed, but I can still write with what I'm comfortable with.

Edit:

Well, I made one a while back that stole experimental tech and pretended to be an epic, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

Frankly? I'm worried that you're not taking our concerns seriously. Every change you've made has come with a comment like "That should clear things up" or "That should do it," or arguments like "Fair point, but…." and so on. I'm worried that you're more focused on arguing for your vision than with trying to create a character who will fit seamlessly into this RP; and I'm worried that when it comes time for actual gameplay with Falchion, it won't be smooth. 

This game isn't about winning, and while it is about creating interesting characters, it's not about showing off with them. A good character should be integrated into the story as if they were always meant to be there, and I'm worried that this isn't your priority. 

Edit:

I don't think Twi's point has anything to do with his straight up power level but with realism. Epic powers aside, the Reckonerverse plays human capabilities relatively straight and you know portal powers and proper skill with one kind of blade is already enough to have him not pushed around by a Curveball.

His portals don't need to work on Epics, they need to work on the air just slightly away from them so he can stab his sword's pointy end through it and directly into them.

So just pointing this out but wheter you put him in Astoria or anyplace else, sword skills will always be useless against High Epics. If they could be killed by swinging a piece of metal around they would not be a High Epic in the first place.

Frankly? I'm worried that you're not taking our concerns seriously. Every change you've made has come with a comment like "That should clear things up" or "That should do it," or arguments like "Fair point, but…." and so on. I'm worried that you're more focused on arguing for your vision than with trying to create a character who will fit seamlessly into this RP; and I'm worried that when it comes time for actual gameplay with Falchion, it won't be smooth. 

This game isn't about winning, and while it is about creating interesting characters, it's not about showing off with them. A good character should be integrated into the story as if they were always meant to be there, and I'm worried that this isn't your priority. 

I have been taking your concerns seriously, and altering things where I think they need to be, I just think that I tend to not change things if, from my point of view, they already meet your criteria. I really do want to create a character that can fit into this, but I've seen some characters that can do amazing things, and I don't want my character to be less cool than them in my mind, so I guess I'm kinda competing against them to try and make my character cool, while not making him too OP from my point of view, while sticking to my original vision of him. But after this long, and so many concerns about his balance, I don't think I can manage all of those, and I might end up coming up with a new char, and leaving this one behind. If anyone that's seen this part of the thread wants to pick him up and try to make him work, you're more than welcome to, and I'd love to see him come to be a reality, but I'm not sure I can make it happen.

Edit: I'll also be making my next character sword related as well, just to warn you. ;)

Edited by Bridge Boy