Taking In Stormlight

Moogle

Quick observation, though it's undoubtedly been brought up before:

• When Kaladin takes in Stormlight, he simply breathes it in. His order's body focus is inhalation.
  • When Jasnah takes in Stormlight, her shadow touches the source. Her order's body focus is oil.
  • When Lift is captured by Darkness, he fears her being near spheres, though at the time, he doesn't know if she's an Edgedancer or Order 5. Her body focus is the eyes, and Order 5's is the hair.

Each Order might have had a different way to invest themselves with Stormlight at a distance. I'm curious if anyone has ideas on how Lift and Shallan will do it. Any ideas? I'm guessing just looking at it closely is enough for Lift.

I expect Shallans to be something different, likely linked to her memory or blinks, but so far we havent seen her take a memory of a gemstone. I wonder what will happen at the Shattered Plains if she takes an imprint of a Gemheart? would it be drained of stormlight?

I expect Shallans to be something different, likely linked to her memory or blinks, but so far we havent seen her take a memory of a gemstone. I wonder what will happen at the Shattered Plains if she takes an imprint of a Gemheart? would it be drained of stormlight?

It would be cool, but incredibly impractical if she had to draw the spheres to get the Stormlight. Just imagine a full Lightweaving KR running around the battlefield in full Shardplate armour and using a pen and paper to draw while fighting giant Voidbringers:lol:

If I'm not mistaken, Shallan is an aspiring Lightweaver. This would mean her body focus is the blood, and I have no idea how this relates to her taking in stormlight, Kaladins body focus for example seems very clear.

It would be cool, but incredibly impractical if she had to draw the spheres to get the Stormlight. Just imagine a full Lightweaving KR running around the battlefield in full Shardplate armour and using a pen and paper to draw while fighting giant Voidbringers:lol:

I don't know what Cayden meant but I understood it as she would use her imprinting ability to take in stormlight, and that she doesn't have to draw the actual imprint for it to work. Just my thoughts though, although the image of her stopping to draw in the midst of battle is rather hilarious :D  

Edited by Strife

Don't expect "body focus" to play a role in the second book. Check the Ars Arcanum of the second book.

Is this a retcon?

Or were we just wrong about what "body focus" meant that whole time?

Edited by Bremen

Maybe the body focus are a aspect of the magic system that won't be explored in the book. Or this could be a case of "decline of knowledge" and the information in the book are a false data that the person how wrote the Ars Arcanum had about the matter.

Edited by Natans

Maybe the body focus are a aspect of the magic sytem that won't be explored in the book. Or this could be a case of "decline of knowledge" and the information in the book are a false data that the person tha wrote the Ars Arcanum had about the matter.

curse you unreliable ars arcanum writers

The other option is this: drawing in Stormlight is an instinctual act, which differs only a little bit between orders; moreover, immediately after drawing it in, you're charged with magic and able to access powers beyond comprehension. Ususally, you're also about to fight for your life. The exact part of you which is touching an infused gem when you suck the power from it will only be relevant in situations where Stormlight is scarce, and any two Surgebinders meeting up for drinks probably have more exciting things to talk about. Imagine:

"I have to inhale to get my Stormlight," says Kaladin.

"See this garnet I'm holding, here? I can use it to change your blood type, making your body reject it. It would be a rather painful death,"says Shallan.

"Well, look at that lovely sky there," says Kaladin. "Be a shame to fall into it, wouldn't it?"

And the topic is forgotten.

Imagine:

"I have to inhale to get my Stormlight," says Kaladin.

"See this garnet I'm holding, here? I can use it to change your blood type, making your body reject it. It would be a rather painful death,"says Shallan.

"Well, look at that lovely sky there," says Kaladin. "Be a shame to fall into it, wouldn't it?"

And the topic is forgotten.

I'd call you a try-hard, Swimmingly, if you weren't so gorram funny! +1

I don't think body focus is linked with how you use stormlight directly... but I think there are small connections that you can make...

I think Moogle's post is worth discussing...

• When Kaladin takes in Stormlight, he simply breathes it in. His order's body focus is inhalation.
  • When Jasnah takes in Stormlight, her shadow touches the source. Her order's body focus is oil.
  • When Lift is captured by Darkness, he fears her being near spheres, though at the time, he doesn't know if she's an Edgedancer or Order 5. Her body focus is the eyes, and Order 5's is the hair.

* Kaladin's spren is a windspren, zephyr... inhalation requires the movement of air :)

* Jasnah's spren looks like he's coated in oil

* Lift is special, so we cannot use whatever is doing...

I would be more inclined to say the spren is involved in taking in stormlight ... (e.g. maybe Jasnah's spren moves the shadow towards stormlight, allowing her to soulcast; when Kaladin breathes in, Syl "moves" the stormlight)... Body focus seems more like something to do with your spren, not with how you take in stormlight...

I always that the type of Spren (their appearance) had to do with the soulcasting properties myself.

Actually, now that I PROPERLY put my thoughts in order instead of just putting down my first thoughts. I will honestly say that I am split on whether their appearance is based on essence or soul casting properties. After looking at some definitions I am leaning more towards essence, but some of that would look disgusting (sinew/meat-flesh). Also I couldn't get a definition for lucentia.

Edited by Grayv

Yet she still takes the shape and behaviour of a windspren - how do we know that all windspren aren't unattached honorspren, or that at least some of them are.

Fair point, though, from what has been described in the released chapters, there are two specific sects of spren: those based on natural things (fire, wind, so on) and those based on human emotion or states (passion, anger, honor). Therefore, I think it stands to reason that there is a very real difference between windspren and honorspren aside from one of them simply being unbonded. I think that the reason Syl takes the shape of a windspren is something that will become very important in later books, or even WoR. Another thing to note is that, to my knowledge, Syl is the only "windspren" we have seen that is capable of altering her appearance. All the other ones seemed to have a fixed shape. This is further indication, and was a foreshadowed clue in WoK, that Syl was not a windspren. 

But as for why she takes that shape, I havent the foggiest. But I am very interested to find out, and to discover how Sanderson is going to handle this whole "Spren Society" thing. I really didn't see that coming.

Fair point, though, from what has been described in the released chapters, there are two specific sects of spren: those based on natural things (fire, wind, so on) and those based on human emotion or states (passion, anger, honor). Therefore, I think it stands to reason that there is a very real difference between windspren and honorspren aside from one of them simply being unbonded. I think that the reason Syl takes the shape of a windspren is something that will become very important in later books, or even WoR. Another thing to note is that, to my knowledge, Syl is the only "windspren" we have seen that is capable of altering her appearance. All the other ones seemed to have a fixed shape. This is further indication, and was a foreshadowed clue in WoK, that Syl was not a windspren.

But as for why she takes that shape, I havent the foggiest. But I am very interested to find out, and to discover how Sanderson is going to handle this whole "Spren Society" thing. I really didn't see that coming.

I wonder if sentient spren keep non-sentient spren as pets? Because I can see a whole Pokemon style thing happening if they do.

There's awindspren in Shallans first chapter in WoR that morphs into things.