Taking In Stormlight

Moogle

A question I've had for a while is whether Syl's form is determined by her, or by Kaladin. What I mean by that is, is she an Honorspren: subtype Wind, and only binds with people exhibiting the qualities of Windrunners? Or, is she an Honorspren, no subtype, and takes the shape of a windspren for this particular bond because the person she bonded (Kaladin) exhibits the qualities of Windrunners?

A question I've had for a while is whether Syl's form is determined by her, or by Kaladin. What I mean by that is, is she an Honorspren: subtype Wind, and only binds with people exhibiting the qualities of Windrunners? Or, is she an Honorspren, no subtype, and takes the shape of a windspren for this particular bond because the person she bonded (Kaladin) exhibits the qualities of Windrunners?

None of the other bonding spren we've seen seem to be honorspren, nor are they all cryptics.  I think it is safe to assume it is one spren type for each order.  ie honorspren will always bond windrunners.

There are complicated solutions, but the presence of unbonded Nahel spren with defined forms gives me the easiest answer. 

The case for different types of bonding spren:

• Nohadon says that honorspren are pickier than other types of bonding spren.  If they are all the same base type, how would that make sense?
  • Shallan sees multiple Cryptics.  If she can only bond one, why do the others have form?
  • Shallan sees her cryptic in the physical realm.  She clearly is only bonded to one.
  • There are cities full of unbonded spren with defined forms.  In fact, they consider bonding a betrayal. 

In the wake of Jasnah's revelations about spren civilization, the solution to this question seems clear. 

If spren form is determined by the bond, then unbonded spren should not have form.  The other problem I see with the human determining spren form theory is how the spren could choose if they are not looking for particular attributes. 

He vibrated, and she thought she could hear in that vibration the blowing of wind through branches. Shallan breathed in. She could almost see it. The deck in front of her changing to a dirt path, her box becoming a stone bench. Faintly. Not really there, but almost. Her father’s gardens. Pattern on the ground, drawn in the dust…

Shallan is Lightweaving here. She breathes in. Is it similar to Kaladin, perhaps? Do they all breathe it in? Hrm.

There are complicated solutions, but the presence of unbonded Nahel spren with defined forms gives me the easiest answer. 

The case for different types of bonding spren:

• Nohadon says that honorspren are pickier than other types of bonding spren.  If they are all the same base type, how would that make sense?
  • Shallan sees multiple Cryptics.  If she can only bond one, why do the others have form?
  • Shallan sees her cryptic in the physical realm.  She clearly is only bonded to one.
  • There are cities full of unbonded spren with defined forms.  In fact, they consider bonding a betrayal. 
In the wake of Jasnah's revelations about spren civilization, the solution to this question seems clear. 

If spren form is determined by the bond, then unbonded spren should not have form.  The other problem I see with the human determining spren form theory is how the spren could choose if they are not looking for particular attributes.

Those Cryptics that Shallan saw were not in the physical realm. When's he blinks/closes her eyes, she links to the cognitive plane. He cognitive plane is where the cryptocs who were watching her existed. What she drew was a blend of two planes of existence in a single image.

• Chaos locked this topic