Endpaper Revealed on Tor.com

The Rooster

So what's happening to the surgebinding charts?

I kind of asked this on the original post on Tor.com, they said they couldn't pass up the opportunity of having Whelan do extra artwork and because of it they'll have to "make room" not sure what that means. Maybe they'll be included in b&w or maybe extra color pages... Who knows?

Edited by AG Rooster

Holy smokes, that's amazing! Exactly how I pictured Shallan. I haven't seen any Michael Whelan paintings besides the covers for The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, so this floored me. Beautiful. I really hope more stuff like this gets put into Stormlight books in the future. I was going to buy the hardcover anyway, but this just triple sold me.

Beautiful painting. I always find myslf a bit envious of people who have the ability to translate things into images on paper. Whether it be with oil and canvas or pen and paper.

As a side note, even thought i know better, i always have trouble picturing her with red hair. Unless i stop and think about it, i see her with jet black hair.. i have the same problem with Kvothe. Bizzare.

I weird that a painting is making me like a character that the book couldn't

The power of art is amazing ;)

PS: Try listen Two Steps from Hell (protectors of the earth) when reading The tower battle and you see at I mean.

Absolutely floored by the sheer beauty in this piece...Shallan jumps off the page and I couldn't have imagined her better.  Not to sure about the left hand, but I'm sure it was planned out and drawn perfectly with the amount of detail that has gone into the rest of this piece.  The Stormlight Archive has definitely become the must read book series for me, as nothing has even come close in attracting me and holding me.

As you all can tell, I'm posting about it on a forum...lol.

Can't wait for WoR to come out, and to discuss future theories with this community...just great being able to be a part of this series from inception to completion (hopefully.)

Why can't this be the cover? It's wonderful and so much better than the other one.

:(

Well, for one thing it's not formatted correctly. While we very carefully DID lay it out such that you could cut it in half and still get a full Shallan painting (so it's good for marketing and such), if you wanted to make a wraparound book cover you would need the main subject on the full right side of the composition, so that the left side could fold around the spine and onto the back. Take off any wraparound dust jacket and you'll see what I mean.

Here, we have the focal character on the left, meaning that if you wrapped it around a book, Shallan would be on the back.

And if you flipped the image (which would be the usual solution to a left/right fix), that it would put Shallan's safehand on her right, not her left... a minor sin, but I think it would bother people besides me, partly because we made sure to put it on the correct hand in the first place.

More importantly, we didn't compose this with the expectation that someone would want to add a title or the author's name... where would you put WORDS OF RADIANCE and BRANDON SANDERSON in huge letters, without covering up something important? I wouldn't want to be the Tor designer who had to make that work, there's solutions but they all kinda suck.

Whereas when this is printed inside the hardback, Shallan will be on the left side, glued against the cover as a backing, and it'll look beautiful. In some ways, I think it might look better than the cover, because I'm not a huge fan of glossy stock.

If we had wanted to make this an alternate cover, we would have composed for it, but that was never our mandate. And in some respects, I'm actually happier that this is the endpaper illustration... dust jackets get lost. :D

If we had wanted to make this an alternate cover, we would have composed for it, but that was never our mandate. And in some respects, I'm actually happier that this is the endpaper illustration... dust jackets get lost. :D

You know, it may come from being from another culture, but I am always surprised by the fact that, for some reason, many English hardcover books come without a picture on the cover, and have instead what you call a "dust jacket" (which I do, indeed, lose while reading a book, since it is not attached). Is there any reason for the publisher to not print the said picture on the bindings? Or at least have the name of the book embossed on? (I am genuinely curious)

Also the picture is awesome :) But the giant cremling on the far ledge bothers me :(  (I know it is supposed to be close and small, but I don't always see it) For some reason it seems, to my eyes, to have rather chordate body plan :unsure: unlike the ones on the sketches.

It's weird that a painting is making me like a character that the book couldn't

I am there with you.  I like her a little bit but the art here makes me like her a ton.  Awesome.  Good job Whelan and Inkthinker seriously a beautiful work.

You know, it may come from being from another culture, but I am always surprised by the fact that, for some reason, many English hardcover books come without a picture on the cover, and have instead what you call a "dust jacket" (which I do, indeed, lose while reading a book, since it is not attached). Is there any reason for the publisher to not print the said picture on the bindings? Or at least have the name of the book embossed on? (I am genuinely curious)

Also the picture is awesome :) But the giant cremling on the far ledge bothers me :(  (I know it is supposed to be close and small, but I don't always see it) For some reason it seems, to my eyes, to have rather chordate body plan :unsure: unlike the ones on the sketches.

Same thing here, I'm also suprised by the fact that the books come without a picture on the cover, and have a "dust jacket", we don't get that many Hardcovers with Dust Jacket and such, but at least the majority of the Books(paperbooks i think you call it) come with killers covers (many times, in my opinion, with a ilustration more beutiful then the original).

Must be a marketing thing, if the book here don't have a nice cover many people don't buy.

See Amazon Comparasion 

Name of Wind 

51qxhokQlWL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

51vVHmhBD-L._AA258_PIkin4,BottomRight,-3

Elantris

51MCZK466QL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

51vXa1V2pbL._AA258_PIkin4,BottomRight,-4

In both cases, I think that original cover art are kind blend (just my opinion), or maybe I could be used to our kind of cover style. ;)

Anyway the Shallan drawing are breath taking, Both Mr. Whelan and Mr. Inkthinker kind created the "definitive Shallan image" =)

Side note, someone know what Mr. Sanderson think about the use of character images in the covers and paperend of the book. I think that I readed somewhere that him didn't like to have the face of characters showed in a "cannon way" to let all reader have their personal image of he character, but both Kaladin and Shallan faces are showed I the art of WOR.

Michael Whelan is pretty much Brandon's favorite painter ever, so I think he's okay.

It's worth noting that all the interior artwork is created in direct collaboration with Brandon... he commissions the concepts from the art team, reviews them as they're being designed, provides corrections and suggestions, and signs off on them at the end.

Cover art is a different game, with different people involved and different dynamics.

Michael Whelan is pretty much Brandon's favorite painter ever, so I think he's okay.

It's worth noting that all the interior artwork is created in direct collaboration with Brandon... he commissions the concepts from the art team, reviews them as they're being designed, provides corrections and suggestions, and signs off on them at the end.

Cover art is a different game, with different people involved and different dynamics.

It all sounds so... professional. Please, leave us with our ignorance in thinking you guys doodle on your loose leaf notebook paper without a care in the world.  :D   That and a trash can in the corner where you shoot your mistakes.

I always take the dust jacket off my harcovers when I go to read them and place the jacket in the bookshelf where the book was previously.  Keeps it safe, keeps it nice. 

As to why a dust jacket, it is very definitely for marketing purposes.  The front cover of a book can make an enormous difference as to whether someone picks up the book off the shelf.  My wife in particular can be very attracted by a good cover and turned off of a poor cover.  But the cost of doing something particularly nice on the cover of the book itself is quite expensive.  The jacket is a better canvas and much cheaper.  Though I much prefer the title and author to be embossed on the binding rather than simply printed on.

AG Rooster, on 30 Dec 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:snapback.png

Yeah , they're really going all out on Stormlight Archive, which is super exciting.  I think now that WoT is done it's their current flagship series!

Man I really hope that "The Stormlight Archive" gain space in the popculture (like Game of Thrones) so we could gain some movies, series, games,animation, etc about this serie. That would be awesome =) If one little picture maked my day imagine when they annouce that After the hobbit Peter Jackson will do a 3 part film of the way of kings, or some major animation company will do a serie =0 Hahahahahaha =)

3 part... Compare Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit (6 Movies) to just Way of Kings. More like a very long series of movies... for one book. :lol:

• Chaos locked this topic