Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

Being a librarian has shown me how Siri must feel. 

"Thank you for calling the library, how may I help you?" 
"Isn't there a dentist on [Street]?" 
"Um….it seems there is a dentist there, yes." 
"No, not dentist, I said Denny's. The restaurant.

"Thank you for calling the library, how may I help you?" 
"Get me the phone number for My Fellow of the Wrong Row." 
"The…." 
"THE PHONE NUMBER, I WANT THE PHONE NUMBER!" 
"For what?" 
"FOR SHELDONO FRUTATTO." 
"….you want fruit?" 

On 12/02/2017 at 0:25 AM, bleeder said:

People who do not realize that they cannot sing singing along at concerts.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo that would be horrifying...
Although, knowing my choir teacher she would probably do something horrible to the people singing along. Make them sing, maybe. Get up at five thirty in the morning for choir, then try and sightread a new song and sing note names for the major triads in Ab major. Yes...

People at work who when addressing me insist on putting "Miss" in front of my first name.

Stop it.  Just stop.  I know you think it's polite or something, but it isn't.  It's infantilizing and annoying and this little habit or tradition or whatever it is needs to go die in a fire.

1 hour ago, Kaymyth said:

People at work who when addressing me insist on putting "Miss" in front of my first name.

Stop it.  Just stop.  I know you think it's polite or something, but it isn't.  It's infantilizing and annoying and this little habit or tradition or whatever it is needs to go die in a fire.

How about Madame? :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

I wasn't expecting anybody on here to be familiar with them

Section 185A. No person shall engage in the business of reselling any ticket or tickets of admission or other evidence of right of entry to any theatrical exhibition, public show or public amusement or exhibition required to be licensed under sections one hundred and eighty-one and one hundred and eighty-two of this chapter or under chapter one hundred and twenty-eight A, whether such business is conducted on or off the premises on which such ticket or other evidence is to be used, without being licensed therefor by the commissioner of public safety, in this and the six following sections called the commissioner.

I'm not sure why a Massachusetts law against scalping tickets gets on your nerves, but I'm definitely giving you suspicious looks right now. :ph34r: 

10 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I'm not sure why a Massachusetts law against scalping tickets gets on your nerves, but I'm definitely giving you suspicious looks right now. :ph34r: 

I'm referring to a different 185A. I've never even been to Massachusetts

9 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

I was taught in high school to use "Ms." in formal written language to address women regardless of age and marital status, as "Miss" (which connotes youth or maidenhood) is deemed too casual and/or presumptuous. But obviously that distinction disappears in spoken language. I suppose calling people just by their name, without any titles, does sound like the more progressive thing to do.

My current pet peeve: People who commit the Tu quoque fallacy.

3 hours ago, skaa said:

I was taught in high school to use "Ms." in formal written language to address women regardless of age and marital status, as "Miss" (which connotes youth or maidenhood) is deemed too casual and/or presumptuous. But obviously that distinction disappears in spoken language. I suppose calling people just by their name, without any titles, does sound like the more progressive thing to do.

Oh man, I got a big problem with those Tu cocks myself

2 hours ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

Isnt Ms. pronounced Miz?

It is? Interesting. Philippine English has the same pronunciation for Ms. and Miss: Mis. Now that I think about it I have indeed heard "Miz" before, though I thought it was just how Miss/Ms. is pronounced with a certain accent.

TIL.

Edited by skaa

You're out on the floor, helping a patron with the printer. Two of your coworkers are at the desk. They aren't busy. They are ready and willing to offer assistance. 

While you're with the first patron, a second appears. They have walked past your two coworkers to ask you and only you for help with the copier. So you help this person. 

A third approaches, and a fourth, and a fifth. The desk has afforded your coworkers a cloak of invisibility, making you the only librarian patrons can see. Apparently. Even when approaching the desk would be quicker and easier, the patrons have chosen you, and only you, to answer questions they could easily answer themselves if they simply read the directions you posted.  The more patrons you help, the more patrons decide you are their champion. This is your life now. 

You are now trapped in Dumb Question Purgatory. 

22 hours ago, Mestiv said:

How about Madame? :ph34r:

Or how about just my name? :P

13 hours ago, skaa said:

Yeah, there's a huge difference between formal written language and spoken.  Plus, that written convention assumes you're using the last name, not the first.  Ms. Williams is an acceptable form of address for me via written communication.  Addressing me in spoken language as "Miss Rosemary" however will cause the hair on the back of my neck to raise and one of the muscles in my jaw will start twitching.

5 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Or how about just my name? :P

Yeah, there's a huge difference between formal written language and spoken.  Plus, that written convention assumes you're using the last name, not the first.  Ms. Williams is an acceptable form of address for me via written communication.  Addressing me in spoken language as "Miss Rosemary" however will cause the hair on the back of my neck to raise and one of the muscles in my jaw will start twitching.

Sounds like Sazed is talking....or Waxs tea loving butler, or maybe actually C-3PO.