Forging as a method of World Hopping?

Darkarma

As per usual I had a thought completely from left field. Could forging be used to transverse great distance? We know that like AonDor, that its essentially a programming magic system and forging deals a lot with how things are perceived together and how they view themselves. Could a cosmere aware forger use the links between how the shards once were one to create pathways to other shard bearing or former shard bearing worlds?

If the universe was created in the big bang much like our own, that could also be some link that could be use. That seems like two very key points at which to build a forged gateway between two shardworlds.

The fact that we know world hopping possible lends credence to the lie that forging could be as well.

It is an interesting hypothesis you present, but if it is true that you can worldhop by creating a link between the Shards, then I do not think this is the only way to worldhop. There is evidence to suggest that it is possible to travel to shardless worlds.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we know that worldhoppers (at least most of them, including Hoid) use Shadesmar to travel between the worlds. I am not sure this would fit with the "forging/creating a link between the Shards" idea.

I'm a little weak on my realmatic theory but I believe Forgery affects the cognitive aspects of objects. But in that regard its an indirect method of manipulating Shadesmar if a bit limited. That was the thought process behind it anyways. Forgery just happens to be more Physical realm heavy and more manipulation but experimentation rather than direct understanding of the medium their working on. As far as we know no non-worldhoppers know that Shadesmar exists.

As far as we know no non-worldhoppers know that Shadesmar exists.

?? Jasnah knows of Shadesmar, Shallan knows of Shadesmar, those two Ardents from that interlude know of Shadesmar and imply that it's rather widely known amongst the ardentia...

As far as I understand it, forging only works in a small range around whatever-that-country-was-called.

So I doubt it can be used to travel long distances.

I'm not so sure of this. Didn't the Elantrians use it to travel really far, and then find themselves so far away that their powers were significantly reduced? I sort of seeing it like using the AonDor to wind up a really big slingshot, rather than constantly using the power as they teleport over the distance.

I would think forging would work anywhere on the planet unlike Aondor which elantris is used as a focal point for the power. With out knowing more about forging I would worry that if you did world hop you may not be able to return.

Soulstamps loose power the farther they get from MaiPon.

I'm not so sure of this. Didn't the Elantrians use it to travel really far, and then find themselves so far away that their powers were significantly reduced? I sort of seeing it like using the AonDor to wind up a really big slingshot, rather than constantly using the power as they teleport over the distance.

Elantrians used Aon-Dor to teleport, not Forging. It is true that they are different ways to access the Dor. Your really big slingshot analogy is very close to the mark, but it's more like Elantrians carry the slingshot with them and that they can not slingshot themselves as far when they are further removed from their base of power. The further away they get, then the weaker the slingshot becomes, possibly becoming non-existent once off-world. I do not believe that the Dor is used in is way to move between worlds. Shadesmar connects the worlds and is how Hoid moves around.

As a side note: It is possible that all humans on Sel carry a minuscule amount of the Dor in them and Elantrans, carry more and that this allows them to more effectively interact with the Dor. This means that even off world, they would still have some minor powers, such as the illusion worn by Grump in the way of kings interlude. They might even have enough to access Shadesmar.

As per usual I had a thought completely from left field. Could forging be used to transverse great distance? We know that like AonDor, that its essentially a programming magic system and forging deals a lot with how things are perceived together and how they view themselves. Could a cosmere aware forger use the links between how the shards once were one to create pathways to other shard bearing or former shard bearing worlds?

If the universe was created in the big bang much like our own, that could also be some link that could be use. That seems like two very key points at which to build a forged gateway between two shardworlds.

The fact that we know world hopping possible lends credence to the lie that forging could be as well.

Forging creates an alternate history for physical objects--even people. I think it likely that any world hopping or teleporting would be done through the creation of a device, possibly a door one would pass through or maybe a scepter or other "magical item" that would travel with the user and enable a return trip.

It should also be noted that all of the magic systems on Sel should be able to grant access to the Cognitive Realm, either through a shared method accessible by all of the different systems, or by a different one tailored to each of them.

It is also quite possible that the key to the Cognitive Realm is separate from any formal magical system, since (spoiler about Blunt's identity coming up)

Blunt (quite possibly Baod from White Sand) doesn't seem to have any magical talents.

• 1 month later...

Can anybody from any world in the Cosmere learn to world hop?

Galladon, Demoux and the unnamed third in Ishikk The Purelakers interlude obviously can world hop.

What i want to know is can any of the KR Orders do this as they have been described to travel great distances in a 'Blink' or is it restricted to only certain individuals in the Cosmere?

Can anybody from any world in the Cosmere learn to world hop?

Galladon, Demoux and the unnamed third in Ishikk The Purelakers interlude obviously can world hop.

What i want to know is can any of the KR Orders do this as they have been described to travel great distances in a 'Blink' or is it restricted to only certain individuals in the Cosmere?

There is WoB that there is a way on every world to worldhop though not everyone will necessarily be able to use it.  As for specifically Knights Radiant, I would say only the ones who can access Shadesmar since anyone who can acces it can theoretically do worldhop.

Kchan

Can anyone with access to Shadesmar learn how to worldhop?

Brandon Sanderson

In theory. Getting to Sel is really tough...

(source)

• Chaos locked this topic