Zahel

Thunder_93

Hey everyone,

i have a question about Vasher on Rosher (well, Zahel, as this is his name there).

I already saw the question, how he didn't die at the end of Warbreaker, when he was giving his breath away (i know, he could keep his divine breath).

But i didn't find this question yet: 

How does he survive on Roshar? I mean, he needs his weekly breath, or he'll just die...

Or can he take thousands of normal breaths with him, and each week he loses one? That was never mentioned in the book, and i can't imagine that this works, as nobody does that in Warbreaker, and i mean, this would be much easier to handle then getting each week a new one...

Well, of course that's true, totally different in getting...

But what do you mean with that?

Do you mean Vasher could just take Stormlight instead of Breath?

I mean... who knows. But I thought those 2 things totally different

I'd say it's likely that Vasher simply has a ton of Breaths at this point, but it could be he uses Stormlight as well. He says to Kaladin that the Storms are "cursed things, Invested to the hilt and looking for a place to put it all." He also says he makes the decision between two equally crappy options every day he chooses to keep living, which tells me he has to use the Breaths he has stored up to keep living. Though I'm not sure, because it likely just requires something Invested for the person to feed on, which could be Stormlight, but we have no idea the "transfer rate" of Investiture within Stormlight. I'd be interested to know it, though, because it could give us a clue on how much Stormlight Nightblood will require from Szeth (likely just a bit at first and compounds exponentially as time goes on).

There's a WoB on this, Vasher is using stormlight instead of Breath: 

BLACKYETI
Did he [Vasher] actually come from Nalthis and not Roshar?
BRANDON SANDERSON
I’m not going to actually answer that one. Well I can answer that: yes he does come from Nalthis. It’s pretty obvious that the way that the Breath’s working, the reason he moved is because it’s easier to get Stormlight than Breaths, and Stormlight can fuel being a Returned like him. And so yes, he was born on Nalthis. Becoming Returned without being born on Nalthis would be really hard.

Why would Nightblood need Stormlight from Szeth?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once created, it didn't keep taking Breath from Vasher. True, Szeth didn't create it by himself, but Nightblood is "alive" already. I dont think it will take any Stormlight of Szeth at all

Every time Nightblood is unsheathed he starts consuming Investiture. 

So, in Warbreaker when Vasher unsheathes him and fights against all the Lifeless, it basically drains almost all of Vasher's stored breaths away and he has to fight really hard to force Nightblood back in the sheath to prevent him burning up his last Breaths and Divine Breath and killing Vasher as well. 

Depending on the exchange rate of 1 breath vs 1 Broam's light, the Weeping must really suck for Vasher. Almost like a game of Russian Roulette, especially if he's going to be hanging out around Surgebinders.

Not if he still has a store of breath hidden in various objects around his hut. He'd only need 1-2 breaths per Weeping, and that's on years when there isn't a storm in the middle. So 1-2 breaths every 2 years means a small stock of breath will last a long time.

Not if he still has a store of breath hidden in various objects around his hut. He'd only need 1-2 breaths per Weeping, and that's on years when there isn't a storm in the middle. So 1-2 breaths every 2 years means a small stock of breath will last a long time.

Also, I wouldn't rule out him finding a way to twist the magic system so that he can store storm light like breath. He's possibly one of the smartest people in the cosmere. He figured out much of awaking, how to world hop, and I wouldn't put much past him.

Also, I wouldn't rule out him finding a way to twist the magic system so that he can store storm light like breath. He's possibly one of the smartest people in the cosmere. He figured out much of awaking, how to world hop, and I wouldn't put much past him.

Considering he's legitimately a scholar, with a scholar mind, I'd bet that if he hasn't figured it out yet, he's probably working to figure it out.

Unless he's all down in the dumps like he was in Warbreaker.

So, in Warbreaker when Vasher unsheathes him and fights against all the Lifeless, it basically drains almost all of Vasher's stored breaths away and he has to fight really hard to force Nightblood back in the sheath to prevent him burning up his last Breaths and Divine Breath and killing Vasher as well.

Techinicaly, Szeth could just not fully unsheat Nightblood, since it is still sharp when half-sheated.

I'm pretty sure Nightblood consumes investiture even when he's partially unsheathed.

And Szeth can't draw in stormlight right now, so if he takes out Nightblood he'll die.

I wonder... if unsheathed in the middle of a highstorm, would nightblood feed on its wielder or from the investiture in the air all around?

I'm pretty sure Nightblood consumes investiture even when he's partially unsheathed.

And Szeth can't draw in stormlight right now, so if he takes out Nightblood he'll die.

WoB says that Roshar treats Nightblood as a Honorblade, which should mean he grants the ability to absorb Stormlight. (Or not, in which case Nightblood will simply murder it's wielder when drawn)

How can you be sure? The only time we have seem Vasher kill people with half-sheated Nightblood, his breath-aura didn't seem to fade.

Warbreaker Spoilers

The priest who picked up Nightblood and ended up a drab with a grey hand.

Edited by LabRat

I wonder if Szeth could use nightblood in battle against a surgebinder to steal stormlight from them and gain an advantage.  ...or would drawing Nightblood only affect the wielder?  Anybody know?

I saw a WoB from I think one of the SoS signings wher Brandon straight up said that Vasher can take in stormlight.

Towards the end of Chapter 18 in WoR, there a scene when Kaladin was sparring with Adolin at the practice grounds, Kaladin sucked in stormlight to try to fight Adolin,  but suddenly felt drained of his stormlight before he could use it.  Could this have been Zahel inhaling stormlight directly from Kaladin's body into his own?  Would Zahel not glow from the stormlight he consumes because he's "digesting" it?

There is a lot of confusion about the Zahel method of survive on Roshar.

Putting together more WoB we can say that Zahel may drawn Stormlight, that Stormlight may sustain a Returned like him and the "easy source" of Investiture is the reason of his presence on Roshar. BUT He is using Breaths to stay alive at the moment. He had an Huge store of Breath on Roshar.

I wonder if Szeth could use nightblood in battle against a surgebinder to steal stormlight from them and gain an advantage.  ...or would drawing Nightblood only affect the wielder?  Anybody know?

Nightblood begins consuming Investiture from the wielder immediately, so unless there's a row of glowing Surgebinders waiting to be hacked up Szeth is going to need at least some of his own Investiture while they duel. However, Szeth could drop Nightblood, like Vasher does in Warbreaker multiple times, and just count on the Surgebinder being "evil" in their own definition and picking up Nightblood, then killing themself. But I have my doubts about how effective it would be against someone with a strong Nahel Bond.

Towards the end of Chapter 18 in WoR, there a scene when Kaladin was sparring with Adolin at the practice grounds, Kaladin sucked in stormlight to try to fight Adolin,  but suddenly felt drained of his stormlight before he could use it.  Could this have been Zahel inhaling stormlight directly from Kaladin's body into his own?  Would Zahel not glow from the stormlight he consumes because he's "digesting" it?

Syl is amused, not confused or worried, about this happening. To me that implies that it was an internal function of their Bond and not an external Force yanking out the Stormlight.  I even have a suspicion that Syl actively chose to make it happen, but nothing in text confirms this.

Edited by LabRat

WoB says that Szeth can't draw in Stormlight so he better not draw Nightblood yet. So it is not treated like an Honorblade in that respect.

And it was just my impression that partially drawing Nightblood would consume investiture, since Vasher is always so careful to keep him fully sheathed. Other than that priest I don't know of any hard evidence for this.