For The Fun: 16 New Metals

EdroGrimshell

I don't have time right now to go through all 4 pages of this thread, but I rather like the concept you have going here. Just some initial notes from the first post while I am thinking abou tit:

1. for mental stability (maybe could use a better term, but I can't think of one) I think this should be paired with Adamantium, and the ferrings called "Adamants"

2. beauty: I like the idea here. I would assume, given how these things seem to work in the cosmere, that this would change a person's appearance based on their own cognitive vision of their ideal self (or possibly other people's cognitive vision of them). while storing they degrade based on this, moving further away from that cognitive ideal, while still being recognizably themself. and vice versa while tapping.

more notes after I have had a chance to read through the rest of this.

Some ideas for the final category

• Warp/Space for the duality with time.
  • Continue Temporal somehow
  • Spiritual Connections
  • Supernatural (more traditional magics like fireballs)
  • Life/Death Duality
  • Mutation/Evolution/Devolution
  • Ruin/Preservation based Powers (Ruin is destruction so having something like a pushing metal to cause things to blow up and a preservation one to repair for example)

Those are really it for ideas ATM, but they give a starting point at the very least.

Expanding on an Idea

Entropic Metals - Manipulating Entropy, these metals take the concepts of Preservation and Ruin to new heights. Note: None of these metals are actually linked to the shards of Preservation or Ruin, they are simply labelled that way for their general effects being similar in concept.

The external pulling metal pulls entropy away from objects, allowing for them to return to an earlier state, namely, repairing themselves (though leaving it on for too long will cause it to essentially unwork itself, but that also lets you have a "redo" on crafting stuff). This is easier to pull off with metal objects than other materials, but it is possible to do with stone and ceramics by flaring the metal. Nicrosil or Duralumin are needed for once living/organic substances. It's impossible to affect living thing or objects in living things with this metal. Aluminum cannot be affected by this metal.

The external pushing metal pushes entropy into objects, causing a damaging effect, namely, violently exploding an object affected by the metal. This is easier to pull off with metal objects than other materials, but it is possible to do with stone and ceramics by flaring the metal. Nicrosil or Duralumin are needed for once living/organic substances. It's impossible to affect living thing or objects in living things with this metal. Aluminum cannot be affected by this metal.

The internal pulling metal would pull entropy into the body, which is normally bad, but in this case can be used for various purposes, such as burning other metals quicker for improved benefits, burning out diseases and poisons, destroying bits of metal in the body (effectively allowing you to remove hemalurgic spikes and letting you safely burn away harmful metals like pewter or aluminum), and remove add-ons to your Spiritual DNA (again, often via hemalurgy).

The internal pushing metal, you guessed it, pushes entropy away from the body in an attempt to keep it protected. Like the internal pulling metal it has a number of uses, from bolstering health to repairing holes in your Spiritual DNA to causing your body and mind to maintain their peak performance for longer. The most common use, however, is a "barrier" of sorts, similar to tapping luck for a feruchemist, it causes entropic/damaging effects to simply avoid the user, to a degree.

I'm really beginning to like the Entropic Metals, in a way, it's akin to Temporal Metals but in a more focused manner. Especially the External Pushing Metal. Lets you play out Gambit. Though I'll have to limit it some as well.

However, I'm exploring options, so next on the list is an interesting concept I thought of that could be the start of something.

Internal Pushing, the investiture channeled by the metal is forced out of the body, forming a mist around the user. The more they burn and the faster they burn it, the more mist is produced and the longer it lingers. I'm thinking this mist could be breathed in like Stormlight or charged with allomantic power, possibly being able to be infused like a metalmind or something of the sort to let others breath it in and gain the benefit. I'm not 100% on what I'd actually do with this one, but it's a concept I think could be fun or interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Comprehension: The abillity to see and understand patterns easily, the abillity to grasp new ideas easily.

Acumen: The abillity to learn new skills quickly (Skill seemed too open ended)

Fortitude: The abillity to endure more pain, and do things like go without food and water longer

Resillience: The abillity resist illnesses, as well as things such as poison or radiation (similar to fortitude) (also have Fallout on the brain)

Incognition: (Allomantic or Feruchemical) People are unable to comprehend the user; After passing by, witneses would have a great deal of trouble remembering even small details about the user (A fancy name for)

Inspiration: Enhances the users abillty to come up with unique and innovotive ideas. (similar to creation but more science orientated.)

Percipience: (basically the instict power you described) Provides the user with an uncanny sense of impending danger

Also I think It would be cool if there was an emotional metal similar to tin. Wheras with tin  you could store one sense, with _____  you could store one emotion. Think about being able store fear or panic away. Alternatively you could call upon rage when rust hits the fan. Dont know what it would be called.... apathy? Anyway seemed like a nice compliment to brass and zinc

• 2 weeks later...

Comprehension: The abillity to see and understand patterns easily, the abillity to grasp new ideas easily.

Acumen: The abillity to learn new skills quickly (Skill seemed too open ended)

Fortitude: The abillity to endure more pain, and do things like go without food and water longer

Resillience: The abillity resist illnesses, as well as things such as poison or radiation (similar to fortitude) (also have Fallout on the brain)

Incognition: (Allomantic or Feruchemical) People are unable to comprehend the user; After passing by, witneses would have a great deal of trouble remembering even small details about the user (A fancy name for)

Inspiration: Enhances the users abillty to come up with unique and innovotive ideas. (similar to creation but more science orientated.)

Percipience: (basically the instict power you described) Provides the user with an uncanny sense of impending danger

Also I think It would be cool if there was an emotional metal similar to tin. Wheras with tin  you could store one sense, with _____  you could store one emotion. Think about being able store fear or panic away. Alternatively you could call upon rage when rust hits the fan. Dont know what it would be called.... apathy? Anyway seemed like a nice compliment to brass and zinc

I like Acumen in place of Intelligence (which was the one that let you learn quicker) and Inspiration in place of Creativity.

I do have the emotion one on here, and that's exactly the way it works. I like the idea and it works.

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread a bit... (I was searching through the forums before making this other thread to see if there were any like it. Decided to go ahead with making my own thread since mine opens the topic a little bit.) But that is beside the point.

I like Elbereth's "swing movement" allomantic power, and I thought of a variation of it that I think brings it a bit more in line with the way that iron/steel work. It's a little complex, though. Basically, pushing and pulling with iron and steel always have a well defined direction. But how do you define a direction for causing orbital motion around yourself? My idea is to borrow a concept from magnetism and only be able to put "orbital spin" on metal that is moving relative to you. And it uses vector cross products. (Sorry.)

The two metals would be "right-handed orbit" which would exert a force on metal proportional to r x v where ​r is the vector from you to the metal (direction only, the strength of force that can be exerted probably falls with distance), and v is the velocity of the metal (relative to you); and "left-handed orbit" which would exert a force -r x v. To finish things off both of these powers would exert an equivalent force+torque on you so that linear and angular momentum was preserved. This would allow you to make metal orbit around you at the same time that it was moving past you, perpendicularly to the direction it was moving. It would be a subtle power, but it would add an interesting dimension to the skill of pushing and pulling on metal, without making it so that you could just move metal wherever you wanted.

Edit: if you had a metal already orbiting you (by pulling on it just right with iron, for example) what these metals could do is change the inclination of the orbit. So if you had it orbiting in a horizontal plane you could tilt its orbit to be vertical, for example.

Edited by Gagylpus

• 5 months later...

...aha! I've got some ideas for Allomancy.

External Physical Pulling: Sculptor mistings can burn ____ to pull on objects in any direction, physically stretching them. Applications include stretching a part of the ground to make a wall, shaping part of a wall into spikes, etc.

External Physical Pushing: Compressor Mistings can burn ____ to push objects in any direction, compressing them. Applications include phasing through matter by pushing it around you, creating a "compression shield" which repels matter, leaving handprints in metal, etc.

External Mental Pulling: Listener. Listener mistings can burn ____ to pull thoughts out of people's minds. Applications include learning a skill by pulling learning that skill out of someone's mind, mind reading, etc.

External Mental Pushing: Commander. Commander mistings can burn ____ to push thoughts into people's minds. Applications include making someone do something by pushing a command into their mind, sending thoughts, etc.

So, I am reading through this topic, and when you were talking about metal sight, I thought ...
Mistborn Sectet history spoilers

Spoiler

...how similar it is to cognitive realm in Scadrial, then came up with this quadrant.

An idea for allomantic quadrant - Cognitive Metals:

• External Pulling - Withdrawer. When you burn the metal you see into cognitive realm, and are able to temporarely (as long as you sustain it) remove from phisical realm objects with weak identity, like a wall that has just been made. When an object is removed it still can be seen, and takes look od thin mist, but can not usualy be touched. However when an obiect is withdrawn, it still can be  used and be touched by a person that is focused enough on using it.
    • One could use withdrawing to release themself from ties, or remove bullets that are supposed to kill him. He could also throw something and then withdraw it to phase through bariers. 
  • External Pushing - Summoner. It also lets you see into cognitive realm. It allows you to summon strong cognitive shadows objects into phisical realm (as long as you sustain it). They take look of a dense mist, and can be phisically touched, and when damaged they imidietly return to their orginal shape. If you are focused enoygh you can phase through them.
    • Except of just summoning things that used to be somewhere, one can also summon things that he often carries with him, like gun on a knife during a party. Also he could carry with him cognitive shadows of things left by others
      Spoiler

like Kelsier's bonfire.

sustained not by constant summoning, but carried in an item with high identity (like your trusty backpack that you wear for a long time and you even talk to).

• Internal Pulling - Gray man, action is called soul-focusing. It focuses your cognitive shadow, making it look like it was very weak. It makes you harder to notice, and easier to ingnore. Also it makes it easy for you phase through summoned objects, and it is harder to target you with other allomantic abilities,and makes you more durable against their effects.
  • Internal Pushing - VIP, action is called soul-inflating. It inflates your cognitive shadow, making it look like it was expanded. It makes you harder to ignore, and also seem like someone with great authority. It makes it easy for you to use withdrawn objects, and you atract most alomantic effects, a savant of this ability can be affected by nicroburst of a person distanced from you. 

Internal pushing and pulling at the same time doesn't eliminate all their effects complitely. It makes harder to notice you, but when somebody aware of you, you become important in his eyes. Also it is hard to target you with magic, unless you attract it (normaly VIP can only CHOSE to affect abilities that wouldn't normaly work on him, like rioting not targeted at him).
Also one can remove effects of External Pulling with External Pushing and vice versa.

Edited by Szmit

3 hours ago, Szmit said:

So, I am reading through this topic, and when you were talking about metal sight, I thought ...
Mistborn Sectet history spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

...how similar it is to cognitive realm in Scadrial, then came up with this quadrant.

An idea for allomantic quadrant - Cognitive Metals:

• External Pulling - Withdrawer. When you burn the metal you see into cognitive realm, and are able to temporarely (as long as you sustain it) remove from phisical realm objects with weak identity, like a wall that has just been made. When an object is removed it still can be seen, and takes look od thin mist, but can not usualy be touched. However when an obiect is withdrawn, it still can be  used and be touched by a person that is focused enough on using it.
    • One could use withdrawing to release themself from ties, or remove bullets that are supposed to kill him. He could also throw something and then withdraw it to phase through bariers. 
  • External Pushing - Summoner. It also lets you see into cognitive realm. It allows you to summon strong cognitive shadows objects into phisical realm (as long as you sustain it). They take look of a dense mist, and can be phisically touched, and when damaged they imidietly return to their orginal shape. If you are focused enoygh you can phase through them.
    • Except of just summoning things that used to be somewhere, one can also summon things that he often carries with him, like gun on a knife during a party. Also he could carry with him cognitive shadows of things left by others
        Reveal hidden contents

like Kelsier's bonfire.

sustained not by constant summoning, but carried in an item with high identity (like your trusty backpack that you wear for a long time and you even talk to).

• Internal Pulling - Gray man, action is called soul-focusing. It focuses your cognitive shadow, making it look like it was very weak. It makes you harder to notice, and easier to ingnore. Also it makes it easy for you phase through summoned objects, and it is harder to target you with other allomantic abilities,and makes you more durable against their effects.
  • Internal Pushing - VIP, action is called soul-inflating. It inflates your cognitive shadow, making it look like it was expanded. It makes you harder to ignore, and also seem like someone with great authority. It makes it easy for you to use withdrawn objects, and you atract most alomantic effects, a savant of this ability can be affected by nicroburst of a person distanced from you. 

Internal pushing and pulling at the same time doesn't eliminate all their effects complitely. It makes harder to notice you, but when somebody aware of you, you become important in his eyes. Also it is hard to target you with magic, unless you attract it (normaly VIP can only CHOSE to affect abilities that wouldn't normaly work on him, like rioting not targeted at him).
Also one can remove effects of External Pulling with External Pushing and vice versa.

That sounds awesome. IDK what would be better, being a Withdrawer, or a Summoner.

2 hours ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

That sounds awesome. IDK what would be better, being a Withdrawer, or a Summoner

Spoiler

I don't know how to remove spoiler tag on mobile. :(

But Summoner and Trueself combination would be awesome, because humans are source of all identity in cognitive realm, and you would even be able (probably, maybe, I hope so) to summon an imaginary friend!

2 hours ago, Szmit said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't know how to remove spoiler tag on mobile. :(

But Summoner and Trueself combination would be awesome, because humans are source of all identity in cognitive realm, and you would even be able (probably, maybe, I hope so) to summon an imaginary friend!

That'd be cool.

• Chaos locked this topic