Who is Trell?

Stormgate

In TFE, Trell is mentioned as being worshipped. This religion viewed the stars as being the "Thousand Eyes of Trell" and they were very dedicated in mapping the stars. In either the WoK or WoR, Kaladin mentions seeing a very rare spren, starspren. Also, in SoS, there is evidence that Trell has been there, though only one Shard is on Scadrial. Trell is obviously a Shard, any idea about its intent?

I'm sure the starspren was actually *gasp* a starspren.

Rare spren exist. Just look at Axies trying to get drunk to attract the spren for that. Difficult, outright country-specific.

WoB is we know about the Shard that has been using the name Trell. Unfortunately we know quite a lot of Shards, so who knows?

I'm still not entirely convinced that Trell is a shard. He/she could easily be a agent working for a shard or a non shardic entity. While it is probable, and I believe this theory myself, it is just that. A theory. I don't think we should be throwing other possibilities out the door.

Likely autonomy or odium. Most seem to think autonomy though I disagree.

Why do you disagree? I think there is much more evidence for that Trell is Autonomy than any other theory out there. Edited by Blightsong

It could be that Autonomy likes to move around a lot . While we've seen that he is currently on White Sands planet that doesn't mean he is always been there. Just look at all of the traveling that Odium had done before he was trapped.

Do we even know that Bavadin's is still on Taldain? We know that he is during the events of White Sand but has it been confirmed that he has stayed there for the (presumably) 1000+ years after White Sand that we know of?

I'm still not entirely convinced that Trell is a shard. He/she could easily be a agent working for a shard or a non shardic entity. While it is probable, and I believe this theory myself, it is just that. A theory. I don't think we should be throwing other possibilities out the door.

Why do you disagree? I think there is much more evidence for that Trell is Autonomy than any other theory out there.

Well I disagree for two reasons.  First is the newspaper article that might have indicated a parshendi of some sort at a shard pool.  The Parshendi are influenced by Odium.  Also while Bleeder wanted people to be free of Harmony,  I'm not convinced that was the dominant emotion running thru her.  To me her dominant mindset seemed to be hatred,  and that is the bigger reason to me.  She seemed driven by hatred to me.

Well I disagree for two reasons.  First is the newspaper article that might have indicated a parshendi of some sort at a shard pool.  The Parshendi are influenced by Odium.  Also while Bleeder wanted people to be free of Harmony,  I'm not convinced that was the dominant emotion running thru her.  To me her dominant mindset seemed to be hatred,  and that is the bigger reason to me.  She seemed driven by hatred to me.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking, too. While we, as crazed superfans might be more or less familiar with the events of White Sand, I suspect it doesn't really count, since it's not a published work. Odium seems more likely, because he's crafty and would be wise to be worried about Harmony as things stand. Using one of Harmony's own creatures against him seems like it would be right of Rayse's street. Even better if he can frame another Shard for it in the process. If not him, then, heck, maybe she went and got a Boon from the Nightwatcher. ;P

This next bit is aluminum foil hat stuff:

The creature that we see in the broadsheet story looks like a stylized parshendi to me, and it strikes me that while it could have been a Listener hopping over to Scadrial, it also might have been someone who recently ate a Listener on her way back to her home planet. And I want to go back and reread the important bit, but I swear there was something about Brightness Danlan that made me think 'kandra,' even in addition to her work with Graves.

Well I disagree for two reasons. First is the newspaper article that might have indicated a parshendi of some sort at a shard pool. The Parshendi are influenced by Odium. Also while Bleeder wanted people to be free of Harmony, I'm not convinced that was the dominant emotion running thru her. To me her dominant mindset seemed to be hatred, and that is the bigger reason to me. She seemed driven by hatred to me.

When she is down to her last movements she isn't spouting "I hate you Harmony!" or "Harmony must die!". She says "I will be me, at the end." with her dying breath she exclaims that all she wants is freedom, autonomy, even if it means her death. Not only that, but she constantly states that her mission is to free the people of Elendel. If her inner passion was to hate Sazed and be hated by Sazed, I think it would have been more explicitly stated, as her passion for freedom and autonomy was.

As for the figure in the broadsheet, that could have been several different things. Even if it was a Parshendi, which I doubt, then it might not even be a servant of Odium. Even if it was a servant of Odium we have no evidence or proof that it was involved with the events of SoS.

Edit: If you wish for me to give you more solid evidence, pm me.

Edited by Blightsong

• 1 month later...

I have a completely different theory. It has been stated by Brandon Sanderson that there was an opposition to Adonalsium, some sort of "Other Force" that created a weapon that caused Adonalsium to split into 16 Shards. However, when we look at where two Shards fight directly, like in the case in which Vin, as Preservation, killed Ati, as Ruin, we see that both Shards "die." Perhaps it is the same with Adonalsium and this "Other Force." Perhaps the weapon that the opposition to Adonalsium created also split that "Other Force" into 16 "Other Shards," as I will call them. Now, let us look at the nature of Bleeder. She wants freedom from Sazed, or Harmony, and that may be another, different opposite to Preservation-Freedom. Instead of preserving things as they are, perhaps Trell, the "Other Shard" counterpart of Preservation wishes to free people and bring change. Also, the worshipers of Trell believe that the stars are holy and are the "Thousand Eyes of Trell," while the Mists, created by Preservation, block the stars from the ordinary eye. Also, Nalt, the main antagonist of Trelagism, may be a counterpart of Ruin, and the believers in Trelagism believe that the Sun is the "Single Eye of Nalt," blocking the stars from the view of the people. This can be linked to Ruin as another opposite, instead of bringing Ruin, Nalt blocks change and prefers things to stay as they are.

Well I disagree for two reasons. First is the newspaper article that might have indicated a parshendi of some sort at a shard pool. The Parshendi are influenced by Odium. Also while Bleeder wanted people to be free of Harmony, I'm not convinced that was the dominant emotion running thru her. To me her dominant mindset seemed to be hatred, and that is the bigger reason to me. She seemed driven by hatred to me.

This is my theory as well! In fact I have a whole thread on it! I think the argument for autonomy in a strong one and I concede that it very well may be him, I still believe it is Odium that sent the new metal spike to Scadrial. But again, it's all just theory, and we're likely to get a RAFO on any question lol

That spike though, wouldn't it be a simpler explanation if it were, say, an alloy of atium?

MeLaan says it's not a "metal Harmony knows", and this WoB says that it's not of Harmony:

Q: About Paalm’s spike, is it that one specifically that allowed her to hide from Harmony?

A: It was mostly because she was not using a spike made out of any metal that he knew. She could not have done that with any spike. Taking out one helped a bit, but a non-Harmony spike… what you’re seeing there is a weird intentional hack of the magic system that I built in.

(source)

It's not impossible for it to be an atium alloy, but it seems pretty unlikely.

• Chaos locked this topic