Some things I've been pondering during my 38th reread of WOR

KevinTheHerdazian

Shardplate- okay, now I've been thinking about the physical appearance Of it. Does the whole armor glow when used by a Radiant? Or just the joints? And when it is being worn by a regular human and is not painted could you tell the difference from regular armor?

It seems weird to me that people can just tell that someone has shardplate all the time. If you painted a very intricately designed armor plate would people think it's shardplate? When I first read WoK I thought that shardplate was translucent and see through-ish, now I know that is not correct according to WOR. Another question, is the person in the cover for WoK the parshendi chick (venli? I forgot her name and don't got my book with me now)? Or is that dalinar's unpainted plate?

I'm not sure if the physical architecture of shardplate is even possible with current Roshar technology. Even the joints are sealed by armor plating. Not chain mail, literal interlocking armor plating. It just holds together somehow, completely sealed by materials that don't even actually bend. That's a lot of pieces.

I do believe it's the glyphs on the plate that glow, said glyphs not even being there under normal circumstances. They only appear in flashbacks when the radiants had been infusing stormlight.

I do believe it's the glyphs on the plate that glow, said glyphs not even being there under normal circumstances. They only appear in flashbacks when the radiants had been infusing stormlight.

In the purelake flashback I think it mentions the radiant's plate start to glow fully when they spot the spren. Also in the Starfall flashback the windrunner is glowing when he's falling. I think it depends how much Stormlight theyre holding.

Im still in shock youve only read it 38 times! Do you not love it?!

( Bawling uncontrolably ) Someone give me a nappykin please!

My own brother an infidel!! Fie this life!! FIE!!

Edited by CHOUTAGOD

Man, you guys are insane. People think I'm crazy for having read The Wheel of Time three times (for context, I didn't read any of it until the whole series had been released; I started reading in January, 2014). And my first WoR re-read came exactly one week after my first reading. But 38 times?! Do you read other books? There are other books, you know. Some of them are pretty good...

Just some good-natured ribbing, by the way. If that's your thing, go for it.

And I thought I was crazy for reading Harry Potter around 10 times in my childhood. There are so many other books out there, I wouldn't have time to reread the Stormlight Archive that much. I'm going through the rereads from tor.com though right now and that's pretty fun.

Well, I read really fast, and have read alot of books that I find good... I read at about 1 page every 10 seconds. Or 6 pages every minute. It takes me a little over 3 hours to read a stormlight archives book.

Wowza, I can't even turn pages that quickly :P.

On topic though, I thought that shard plates only glow when they get cracked? (when normal humans are wearing them anyway) it's been a while though, I'm probably wrong.

Edited by Sublime

And I thought I was crazy for reading Harry Potter around 10 times in my childhood. There are so many other books out there, I wouldn't have time to reread the Stormlight Archive that much. I'm going through the rereads from tor.com though right now and that's pretty fun.

My life was sad. For three years, all I did all day was read Harry Potter. I finished the series 29 times.

My life was sad. For three years, all I did all day was read Harry Potter. I finished the series 29 times.

I was similar. I read very slow, though, so I guess it makes sense that I only read them around 10 times. I've gotten faster, but still only read at about 2 minutes/page.

I've always thought of Shardplate as a misture between medieval knights armor and Iron Man armor. And yes I believe it's the whole plate, not just the joints. 

From looking at Shallan's sketches of shardplate that is a pretty good description. I also assumed the whole thing glowed. The thing I have always wondered is how the old KR helms seemed to disappear and reappear so quick I guess they summoned it like blades are summoned now when the plate was "live"? 

From looking at Shallan's sketches of shardplate that is a pretty good description. I also assumed the whole thing glowed. The thing I have always wondered is how the old KR helms seemed to disappear and reappear so quick I guess they summoned it like blades are summoned now when the plate was "live"? 

How does Kaladin's honorblade change to a spear? He wills it to be so, right? and the Nahel bond responds?

How does Kaladin's honorblade change to a spear? He wills it to be so, right? and the Nahel bond responds?

I'm not sure how that question relates at all to what you quoted, nor why you would think Kaladin has ever actually wielded an honorblade before.

Assuming you mean shardblade,  it's not just that but Syl working with him and anticipating his needs as well.  I always read it as they were becoming so symbiotic that he didn't need to consciously will it,  it just was.

Assuming you mean shardblade,  it's not just that but Syl working with him and anticipating his needs as well.  I always read it as they were becoming so symbiotic that he didn't need to consciously will it,  it just was.

I thought it meant that he could change his shardblade's shape because he had become a radiant. As far as we know, all radiants can do this (Shallan made Pattern shorter when she was cutting a handhold).

Something like that. In the same vein, the glowing hammers in Dalinar's Purelake vision always struck me as a little odd. I think they may be Shardhammers, so to speak.

That said, I don't think that anyone is quite fully a Radiant yet. As soon as we see some living Plate, then we can talk.

Something like that. In the same vein, the glowing hammers in Dalinar's Purelake vision always struck me as a little odd. I think they may be Shardhammers, so to speak.

That said, I don't think that anyone is quite fully a Radiant yet. As soon as we see some living Plate, then we can talk.

The hammers didn't glow. The men with tge hammers did.