How old is Hoid?

Allomancy

I have been wondering this ever since I noticed that Hoid is a different age in the books he appears in. Or, at least he seems to be a different age. Does he only visit each world once, in a certain order? Or is he ageless? Any theories on his age? I think he is ageless, or can change his age. Maybe he has a power from a certain world that can make him age the way he wants? Please put your thoughts here, maybe ask around.

He was present when Adonalsium was shattered several thousand years ago. He is immortal, and has Yolish Lightweaving (similar to Shallan's but a little different. I think it is what you see him using when he shows Kaladin the story with the fire) and he can use it to change his appearance. We know he has some form of Feruchemy, Allomancy, a number of breaths (enough to have perfect pitch at the very least), and the ancient powers of Adonalsium including the above mentioned Lightweaving. Come to think of it, he could use Breaths to change his appearance if he has a Divine Breath. Maybe even Feruchemy if he has more of a grasp on it than we do (atium changes age, strength changes your muscles, etc). But Hoid is far older than any human ought to be (WoB) but he hasn't experienced all those years.

Also - he does have access to Feruchemy, and likely Allomancy as well, so he could appear to be any age he wanted (just like TLR). Even with just Feruchemy, as a disguise he could do that as well... though it does take Atiumminds, or a Nicrosilmind for the pure investiture (assuming it works to pull out any form of Feruchemy desired).

Yes, the differences in the ages that he appears to be are indeed caused by a combination of Lightweaving and his acting ability. As far as how old he actually is, that's a tough one. Even if we knew exactly how many years it had been since the Shattering (a figure that varies rather widely, depending on which book we're talking about), it wouldn't be as simple as adding about 30 years to that figure. Apparently, Hoid can skip forward in time somehow, so he could be a whole lot younger than that. But, of course, we don't know if Hoid has skipped 2 years or 2,000. Whatever the case may be, he is certainly quite old. Even a very conservative estimate would put him at several centuries, and several millennia is far more likely.

Yeah, Brandon has confirmed that Hoid hasn't seen every year since the Shattering but he's still older than any normal human could be even after that. In fact, in a recent blog post he essentially called Hoid 'functionally immortal' and there's a WoB that he's the second-oldest person in the Cosmere so he's really old but due to his combination of magic systems we don't have any idea what he really looks like and can't use his appearance as a judge of... pretty much anything.

Yeah, Brandon has confirmed that Hoid hasn't seen every year since the Shattering but he's still older than any normal human could be even after that. In fact, in a recent blog post he essentially called Hoid 'functionally immortal' and there's a WoB that he's the second-oldest person in the Cosmere so he's really old but due to his combination of magic systems we don't have any idea what he really looks like and can't use his appearance as a judge of... pretty much anything.

Wait... who is the oldest?

Khyrindor is correct, from what I can decipher. His abilities allow him to transcend the 4th dimension, not just the 3rd, at least to a degree. And I believe I heard someone say that he can move FORWARD in time, but not back. Don't quote me on that though, I don't know if it's true.

But even before the Shattering (presumably before having 4th dimensional abilities), he was several centuries old. Again, not as old as Frost, though. That guy remembers millennia before Hoid was even born.

How do you guys know he's able to use Ferruchemy?

Allomancy, okay, he stole the Lerasium (even if i remember Sanderson saying, it's not for sure he used it. Sanderson said if a Mistborn would burn Lerasium, something totally different would happen... and as Hoid has the last bit of Lerasium, it has to be his. So, maybe he's just saving it for somebody else? )

But Ferruchemy? I've never read before that Hoid has that

Allomancy, okay, he stole the Lerasium (even if i remember Sanderson saying, it's not for sure he used it. Sanderson said if a Mistborn would burn Lerasium, something totally different would happen... and as Hoid has the last bit of Lerasium, it has to be his. So, maybe he's just saving it for somebody else? )

From this:

MIKE COCKRUM
Hoid is regularly around when important events take place. How does he know where to go?
BRANDON SANDERSON
He uses Feruchemy. Part of it that will show up in later books.

Allomancy speculation mostly comes from some events in Words of Radiance where he seemed to be emotionally manipulating people (Ie. Soothing and Rioting), we do have a WoB that he originally wanted the Lerasium to gain Allomancy but its still unknown whether or not he used it for that.

As another aside if most Mistborn were to burn Lerasium it would just make them stronger, you need to do something else to get any other effects, though we have no idea what or why.

17TH SHARD

If a Mistborn burns lerasium, as in, not just ingests it, what effect would it grant Allomantically?

BRANDON SANDERSON

That is a RAFO. It would do something, but the thing you've gotta remember is that, when ingesting lerasium for the first time and gaining the powers, your body is actually burning it. Think of lerasium as a metal anyone can burn. Does that make sense?

17TH SHARD

It does.

BRANDON SANDERSON

By burning it you gain access to those powers. It rewrites your spiritual DNA, and there are ways to do really cool things with lerasium that I don't see how anyone would know. Were most Mistborn to just burn it, it would rewrite their genetic code to increase their power as an Allomancer.

HEROWANNABE
The Lord Ruler, he had his Lerasium beads, did he use them for Feruchemy?
BRANDON SANDERSON

[impish grin] Ah ha ha ha. The Lord Ruler, heh heh heh, That is an excellent question.

HEROWANNABE

Not going to answer?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Not going to answer that one.

HEROWANNABE

Would you answer if Hoid used it for Feruchemy?

BRANDON SANDERSON

His bead? Hoid’s bead was—He originally got it because he wanted to be an Allomancer. [Note that he doesn’t actually answer the question.]

HEROWANNABE

Would you answer if Hoid used it for Feruchemy?

BRANDON SANDERSON

His bead? Hoid’s bead was—He originally got it because he wanted to be an Allomancer. [Note that he doesn’t actually answer the question.]

I like how he says he ORIGINALLY got it because he wanted to be an Allomancer. Does that mean he no longer wants to be? Or at least he has different reasons for taking the Lerasium now?

It's quite possible that Rashek with the Ascension's Knowledge uses the Lerasium became a FullBorn and Hoid want to make the same.

About the age of Hoid, if He may jump in the time, it's possible that he isn't old like the Cosmere (there is a WoB about He didn't jump in the past, but in the future is possible).

I've been assuming that he had to have figured out Feruchemy some how pretty well before the Mistborn series as he shows up on Sel to be a part of those events. And knowing when and where to be is part of how he uses Feruchemy. 

That said he may have just been looking into Sel to

try and gain Elantrian powers

as noted in the stinger for the 10th Anniversary edition or he may have only figured it out with gaining the bead of Lerasium and was able to use it to do both Feruchemy and Allomancy, but that still means he's been wielding both for a few hundred years real time. Not sure how many Hoid Years that equates to as we don't know precisely how or what his jumps do for his time stream.

It's quite possible that Rashek with the Ascension's Knowledge uses the Lerasium became a FullBorn and Hoid want to make the same.

About the age of Hoid, if He may jump in the time, it's possible that he isn't old like the Cosmere (there is a WoB about He didn't jump in the past, but in the future is possible).

I think Rashek just used the Well directly rather than using Lerasium, don't remember if we ever got confirmation on that or not.

He's not as old as he should be but he's still older than normal people live.

I think Rashek just used the Well directly rather than using Lerasium, don't remember if we ever got confirmation on that or not.

He's not as old as he should be but he's still older than normal people live.

Sure I was just saing that He isn't probably 10000 years old (if I remember right it's the time from the Shattering and WotK).

About Rashek is possible until now I always tought that his nature as "FullBorn" wasn't the result of "just" eat Lerasium. Now I don't know if he became a Fullborn directly through the Well or thans to the Well's Knowledge+Lerasium

Sure I was just saing that He isn't probably 10000 years old (if I remember right it's the time from the Shattering and WotK).

About Rashek is possible until now I always tought that his nature as "FullBorn" wasn't the result of "just" eat Lerasium. Now I don't know if he became a Fullborn directly through the Well or thans to the Well's Knowledge+Lerasium

That's just from the breaking of the Oathpact to tWoK, the Shattering would have been much, much earlier than that, but yeah he hasn't lived all those years, as you said he can skip forwards in time.

That's just from the breaking of the Oathpact to tWoK, the Shattering would have been much, much earlier than that, but yeah he hasn't lived all those years, as you said he can skip forwards in time.

From the breaking of the Oathpact to tWoK are 4500 years, then there is a WoB about 6000 years from the Shattering to the Broken Oathpact.

Together are something like 10000 years, but the "6000 years" are not 100% canon because Brandon may change this time a little if needed

From the breaking of the Oathpact to tWoK are 4500 years, then there is a WoB about 6000 years from the Shattering to the Broken Oathpact.

Together are something like 10000 years, but the "6000 years" are not 100% canon because Brandon may change this time a little if needed

Ah, sorry, misread your first comment and am too tired to accurately remember dates :P

• Chaos locked this topic