Fourth Realm

Stormgate

On Scadrial, the metals are separated into physical, mental, temporal, and enhancement abilities. There seems to be some focus on different realms with different Shards: Preservation and Ruin, for example, are physical Shards, since their traits are purely physical. Honor seems to be focused on the Cognitive realm, or mental realm, given the importance of spren and Shadesmar in the story. Since there are four classes of metals, it stands to reason that we are missing a realm. Any questions? Suggestions? I would appreciate any potential insight into a possibility of a fourth realm.

P.S. Oh, and for those that say that Sanderson has told us time and time again there are three realms, he also told us there were eight metals.

Edited by Kurkistan
Please don't double post

Brandon has this to say on the division for Feruchemy:

Source:

ZAS678

These are things that I overhead.
Are the usual quadrants (Physical, Mental, Temporal, Enhancement) preserved in Feruchemy and Hemalurgy?

BRANDON SANDERSON.
No. In Ferchemy, it is based Realmatically. There is a quadrant of Spiritual, a quadrant of Cognitive and two quadrants of Physical.

The Mistborn Adventure Game would have us believe that the second physical quadrant (made up of the temporal metals) is called the "Hybrid" metals.

I'm also disinclined to believe that Shards have different realmatic preferences.

I see no reason why they shouldn't have Realmatic preferences. Devotion's magic systems are focused on the Cognitive realm, with AonDor having Soulcasting and Forging affecting the Cognitive realm almost exclusively. On the other hand, non of the Metallic Arts on Scadrial have any Soulcasting abilities.

In addition, Endowment's magic system seems to have roots only in the Spiritual Realm, with the only Physical realm abilities being better health, perfect pitch, and increased sight.

I see no reason why they shouldn't have Realmatic preferences. Devotion's magic systems are focused on the Cognitive realm, with AonDor having Soulcasting and Forging affecting the Cognitive realm almost exclusively. On the other hand, non of the Metallic Arts on Scadrial have any Soulcasting abilities.

In addition, Endowment's magic system seems to have roots only in the Spiritual Realm, with the only Physical realm abilities being better health, perfect pitch, and increased sight.

AonDor has more to do with the spiritual if anything, it has a direct link to the Dor and we have no evidence that AonDors transformation abilities have anything to do with the cognitive realm, it seems pretty simply to be just about drawing an Aon, not travelling to the cognitive realm and offering Investiture bribes like the Rosharan Soulcasters do.

But even so that's not representative of the Shard, plus it's pretty extremely subjective. All magic systems have to do with all three realms, Forging changes cognitive identities but the goal is usually to alter the Physical realm, Surgebinders bond with spiritual powers that normally reside in the cognitive realm but are now trying to develop a connection in the Physical realm. Allomancers tap into the spiritual realm to produce a variety of physical and cognitive effects.

AonDor has more to do with the spiritual if anything, it has a direct link to the Dor and we have no evidence that AonDors transformation abilities have anything to do with the cognitive realm, it seems pretty simply to be just about drawing an Aon, not travelling to the cognitive realm and offering Investiture bribes like the Rosharan Soulcasters do.

But even so that's not representative of the Shard, plus it's pretty extremely subjective. All magic systems have to do with all three realms, Forging changes cognitive identities but the goal is usually to alter the Physical realm, Surgebinders bond with spiritual powers that normally reside in the cognitive realm but are now trying to develop a connection in the Physical realm. Allomancers tap into the spiritual realm to produce a variety of physical and cognitive effects.

I don't believe AonDor has much to do with the Spiritual Realm, except that it is somehow related to the Spiritweb. Nobody can argue that, especially with its connection to the Cognitive Realm, Forging is simply a variation on Soulcasting.

While all magic systems involve all three realms, they tend to focus on one realm. I'm not saying that the abilities are exclusive to one realm, simply that the realms are a focus for the abilities.

As for the intent, Devotion is primarily in the mind, like memorizing a set of symbols that must be made perfectly, or being devoted to the study of an object to change it.