Possible application of Wax's abilities

wildkarrde024

I had an idea while reading Shadows of Self. Wax was given an anchor to test scaling buildings with by Ranette. My question is what would happen if Wax used a similar weighted line system, however instead of using the weight as an anchor to swing himself closer to something he uses it to pull himself through the air. The possible mechanics being that he increases his weight and then sends a quick shove on the weighted end of the line in an upward trajectory. He then stops pushing on the weight and decreases his own weight which would allow the weight on the line to have enough force to give him lift. Once his momentum tapers from that, he increases his weight, shoves the line again and continues the process. 

You would probably have to do this very quickly and so it would take a lot of practice and I am not sure how economic it would be ferruchemically. Also I am not sure how accurately you would be able to fly. 

Anyway, I am just trying to get feedback on the idea. Does it sound plausible?

As a side note, is it possible to steelpush or ironpull on a shardblade or shardplate? I am fairly certain that my memory is correct in that they are made of a kind of metal, though stormlight abilities are disrupted by them, would allomancy be as well, would they be like aluminum?

On paper, with the screwy mathematics Feruchemy creates, it's possible.

That said, I'm not sure how efficient it would be, how large a Metalmind would need to be carried, or if a Feruchemist can evrn switch between Storing and Tapping quickly enough to accomplish significant gains.

If we assume all of that is solved, the weight would have to be significantly heavier than the Feruchemists minimum weight (likely Zero), plus his clothes, his Metalmind(s), his Metals, and anything else he carries with him. The weight would also need to be light enough for him to lift alone (to start the process), or shaped in such a way that they could lay on the ground underneath it to launch it.

The main problem I see is the conservation of momentum that has been confirmed to be at play.  Wouldn't increasing weight just before a push bring you to a virtual standstill?  My physics is rusty, but it seems that while you might get an initial push by reducing weight and pushing, the momentum issue would keep you from truly flying.

The main problem I see is the conservation of momentum that has been confirmed to be at play. Wouldn't increasing weight just before a push bring you to a virtual standstill? My physics is rusty, but it seems that while you might get an initial push by reducing weight and pushing, the momentum issue would keep you from truly flying.

SoS Spoilers:

Wax says in SoS that greatly reducing his weight gives him a slight burst, so we can assume that greatly increasing his weight might slow him slightly (maybe enough that a rope tied around his torso could crack bones?)

Edited by LabRat

Slightly off topic...but since we're talking about Wax's powers...something that always bothered me in AoL, "Pull wears an armored plate to pull bullets toward his chest," what stopped Wax from increasing his weight and pasting the guy against a wall?

Slightly off topic...but since we're talking about Wax's powers...something that always bothered me in AoL, "Pull wears an armored plate to pull bullets toward his chest," what stopped Wax from increasing his weight and pasting the guy against a wall?

Aluminum plate, or Aluminum-plated iron plate.

Shardblades and plate would be very difficult to push or pull on but not impossible.

Yeah, they're pretty heavily Invested objects so to make a significant impact on one you'd probably need a Duralumin or Nicrosil boost.

If we assume all of that is solved, the weight would have to be significantly heavier than the Feruchemists minimum weight (likely Zero), plus his clothes, his Metalmind(s), his Metals, and anything else he carries with him.

Brandon has said that all Feruchemy has some lower boundaries to what you can store but they vary. I think he specifically said you could use it to make yourself 'very light' but I don't think you could become truly weightless even if you stripped naked.

That said, while looking for the WoB I did find another one where he basically confirmed that you could probably fly using the proposed method but that it would be really difficult.

An aluminum plate would be counter productive though you wouldn't want to pull something to soft aluminum. I guess plated steel. Seems like it would be expensive though on the off chance you ran into a twinborn like Wax.

Considering that Pull was on loan specifically to deal with Wax, not only could they predict that specific combination but I imagine that a plated steel chestplate would be an expense the Set would be willing to bear.

Edited by Weltall

A thick Aluminium plate would actually be best IMO. You'd have to switch it out often for reshaping, but that softness would reduce the amount of shrapnel ricocheting into your jaw and would be lightweight.

Ceramics: probably not yet. Although there are likely some that would be hard enough at AoW technology level, they would likely crack/shatter under a bullets force while a metal plate will dent/deform but remain usable.

Textile: they would catch and hold the bullet, giving Wax a convenient anchor.

Brandon has said that all Feruchemy has some lower boundaries to what you can store but they vary. I think he specifically said you could use it to make yourself 'very light' but I don't think you could become truly weightless even if you stripped naked.

That said, while looking for the WoB I did find another one where he basically confirmed that you could probably fly using the proposed method but that it would be really difficult.

I just found a WoB in another thread that at least implies personal weight can be brought to Zero.

Q: Would a Skimmer who has been lashed by a Windrunner be able to float if he stored all his weight?

A: since a lashing changes gravity they would still fall because even if he stored all his weight he would still be wearing cloths and guns and such that would still pull him down

If there was a minimum weight greater than zero, the clothes and guns would be irrelevant to the answer.

As an emergency for Wax being stuck in midair unable to push onto a building.

Invent a coin parachute.

Small device of a coin tied to a silk parachute. On pushing the coin, the chute is deployed. Wax can reduce his weight  and push against the coin - the air resistance from the chute is enough to allow Wax to get to the building?

Could be good for a regular Coinshot, but Wax could just drop his weight to zero and let himself fall. Terminal velocity for the weight of his clothes and guns likely wouldn't be lethal, and the coin would do him a lot more good shot at the ground for an easy landing

I suspect Tam was trying to talk about when he's trying to Push on something, like when he's climbing the Tower, not just when he's trying to fall safely.

The problem is, however low his weight is, all his "stuff" will still weigh more than a coin and a silk parachute. So now it becomes the wind-resistance of the parachute, against the wind-resistance of his body. To overcome the weight difference, he would prolly need to deploy a parachute MUCH larger in surface area than his body... I'm not sure such a parachute could be anchored to a coin effectively. Perhaps if it were anchored at each corner by a different coin? I have difficult imaginging that, with the technology of the time, such a device could be designed so that the Push on each coin would, guaranteed, deploy the parachute properly each time it was used... also, how many of those could he possibly carry at a time?

Yeah...but wouldn't the aluminum also mess with your ability to pull on stuff as well?

Shush! You're spoiling my good idea with legitimate problems.

Seriously though? I don't know. Maybe careful placement so things get Pulled into it but the actual Pulling isn't being blocked?

• Chaos locked this topic