When two Elantrians have children...

kroen

Weltall: ....Eh. OR, any of a hundred other things. Other systems magically hacking. Maybe someone can be unShaoded. Maybe... maybe any of a thousand possibilities. At the end of the day, we don't know what's 'standard' for Elantrians and what's a special case, and I hasten to suggest the point of data you mention is almost certainly a VERY special case.

Second, what does happen if you leave? Do you turn Hoed without the Dor? Do you simply turn normal? Which of your changes are static, and which require power? Would you still glow if you were too far to access the Dor? Would your hair still be silver? Would you age while away? Would your age reverse when you got back, or would you still be that old?

If I remember right there is a WoB (i think in the AMA questions) about an Elantrian "off world". He remains an Elantrian but every effect of bein an Elantrian is suppressed without the Dor (and probably he returns glowing once again on Sel).

I should think seeing the ones you love (family, friends etc.) constantly grow old and die whilst you're the pinnacle of vitality can be a bit of wear-and-tear on your existence. As for the original question, as far as we're aware the access to AonDor isn't genetic although the child of two Elantrians could have a higher chance of being selected for the Shaod.

I should think seeing the ones you love (family, friends etc.) constantly grow old and die whilst you're the pinnacle of vitality can be a bit of wear-and-tear on your existence.

Yes, but that's the standard immortal's lament. It should hold true for anyone of the Fifth Heightening, or the Heralds, or immortals on any Shardworld. Yet we're told that Elantrians are more draining than usual. So what happens to them that doesn't happen to every other immortal?

I was just under the impression that that was it, as the immortality we've seen so far in other systems was rather tricksy

Minor cosmere spoilers

Returned need a breath each week, normal awakener's store could constantly change, Fullborn's eventually die, Heralds longevity apparently comes as an exchange for Oathpact participation and we've yet to see the effects of a nahel bond on a surgebinder's age

Although, as they're so altered and infused by the Dor, and the way Raoden was when the Dor tried to use him as a conduit, it could be that that is the reason. They're bodies are so suffused with the Dor that without it they become kind of hollow, like the Hoed.

OK so reading this thread two questions, first what's a fullborn? Second outside of the heralds have we really seen immortals?

I don't really think returned count simply because they seem to always give up their breath.

even the Lord ruler wasn't really immortal as he would have eventually not been able to compound enough youth to live.

Mistborn

The Lord Ruler was a Fullborn. And he would've been able to compound enough to live, where did you hear that he couldn't?

He would arrive to a point where he need to many Youth to stay alive and He can't generate it fast enough. When this time comes He die.

He would arrive to a point where he need to many Youth to stay alive and He can't generate it fast enough. When this time comes He die.

Exactly,  because time constantly moves forward,  you need more and more youth to stay alive,  unlike health.  This means that eventually he wouldn't be able to even eat the atium fast enough to compound it.  It would take a very long time,  but it's an important distinction I think.

Side note I'm having a hard time finding the thread I first read about the idea in.

Edited by Charononus

OK so reading this thread two questions, first what's a fullborn? Second outside of the heralds have we really seen immortals?

I don't really think returned count simply because they seem to always give up their breath.

even the Lord ruler wasn't really immortal as he would have eventually not been able to compound enough youth to live.

Fullborn is an unofficial term for someone who is both a Mistborn and a full Feruchemist. For the second question (Cosmere spoilers including Shadows of Self)

If a non-Returned reaches the Fifth Heightening, they stop aging and basically are immune to poison and disease. We haven't seen any of these yet (at least, not that we know of) but we know it's possible and it's probably the 'best' method of immortality we've heard about. Like you've noticed, Atium compounding has limits, Elantrian immortality is apparently taxing and the Heralds might be immortal but they're clearly not enjoying it.

Of course, there's the Shards who are definitely immortal and the kandra are at least percieved as such. We know TenSoon has been around for something like 1100 years and seems perfectly okay and MeLaan acts like they've got actual immortality if they want it, not just extremely long lifespans. So that might be another example.

Exactly,  because time constantly moves forward,  you need more and more youth to stay alive,  unlike health.  This means that eventually he wouldn't be able to even eat the atium fast enough to compound it.  It would take a very long time,  but it's an important distinction I think.

Side note I'm having a hard time finding the thread I first read about the idea in.

Here's a WoB confirming that this is the case

• Chaos locked this topic