Paired Shards and Honour's Opposite

A Joe in the Bush

I don't know maybe something like Discord or Chaos? Cause it's too bland to be a single shard, and I can see at least one other double shardholder.

Odium+Autonomy+Endowment=Chaos?

EDIT: but Harmony is not the intent/mandate of Sazed's double shard. It is just a fancy God-name he took for himself for being the merging of two fundamentaly opposed primal forces.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

Love seems like it would be the logical opposite to hate.

Devotion is encouraging, supporting, lifting people up. Dominion is about suppressing people, forcing them down. Love is not the opposite of hate, in one part of TFE, they address something like that, basically saying that betrayal or hatred towards someone while loving them hurts more than if you didn't. That might not make sense, but love and hate aren't opposites.

I think we should back away from finding direct opposites and instead focus on finding groupings - like quadrants in Allomancy.
I saw someone naming these groups, like "natural forces" (Preservation, Ruin, I guess Cultivation) and "higher concepts" like Odium, Honor, Devotion..

A Shard may be paired with multiple Shards depending of how you see it.

For example Preservation is quite opposite to Cultivation  (a passive and static force and a dinamic force that improve) and Cultivation is quite opposite to Ruin (again a improvement force and a demolishing force).

For example Preservation is quite opposite to Cultivation  (a passive and static force and a dinamic force that improve) and Cultivation is quite opposite to Ruin (again a improvement force and a demolishing force).

Yeah, just like Pushing/Pulling metals in Allomancy - they're similar yet different.

Improvement/ Destruction

Static                 Preservation    ...IDK (Regress? Things stay unchanged, but it's bad)

Dynamic            Cultivation        Ruin

For lack of a better word, I dubbed it "Improvement/Destruction", but it doesn't fit good enough, I think.

Edited by Oversleep

Dominion is about suppressing people, forcing them down.

You know, dominion does not mean exactly that... It can mean soreveingty, mastery, control, order, rulership. To control something is not a bad thing, that depends only on how you use that control.

Dominion and Devotion are not opposites, and while one may be "darker"(but not much, since irrational fanaticism is devotion) they seem to be able to go together most of the time.

Also, if you didn't notice I do want for the Dor to be reunited into a single "Unity" double shard.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

I'm simply saying that Devotion and Dominion are opposites, not quite like Preservation and Ruin, but similar.

But they aren't opposites. Why would they be? You can control or be controlled by something you are devoted to, or seek to control others because of your devotion towards something, or attain soreveignity or mastery throught devoted effort.

Why are they opposites then?

The word you are looking for is Stagnation.

Thanks!

Those in italics are my ideas.

Improvement/ Destruction

Static                 Preservation    Stagnation

Dynamic            Cultivation        Ruin

No idea for classification here:

Devotion     Odium

Honor         Contempt

And those pairs are not necessarily connected:

Dominion - Autonomy

Endowment - Avarice

Thanks!

Those in italics are my ideas.

Improvement/ Destruction

Static Preservation Stagnation

Dynamic Cultivation Ruin

No idea for classification here:

Devotion Odium

Honor Contempt

And those pairs are not necessarily connected:

Dominion - Autonomy

Endowment - Avarice

Stagnation is part of Preservation actualy. The Final Empire is pretty much a demonstration of the worst side of the intent. Thankfully Leras found a very complicated way to go against the shard's intent and not only destroy Ruin, but build a more prosperous world.

Also, contempt is way to close to Odium.

I'd say that if Honor's intent/mandate is actualy something closer to binding or pacts, them Endowment could be its partial opposite, by seeking to make things divide themselves, but not completely, for those dividing themselves are adding to others. Although I myself think Honor's true mandate is simetry in all its forms. In its social aspect, that could translate into justice and the golden rule.

I think Autonomy-Endowment are a pair. Autonomy is all about fending for yourself, doing it by yourself. Endowment is all about giving and getting support.

On the other hand, Dominion is about controlling and having power over someone, while Autonomy is about freedom and being independent.

Okay, how about quadrant like this?:

Endowment    Avarice

Autonomy      Dominion

They may not be as neatly connected as I did with Preservation, Ruin, Endowment and Stagnation, but bear with me.

Endowment is about giving to somebody, gifting.

Avarice would be about taking from somebody, maybe stealing (but Theft doesn't work as Shard's Intent. Maybe Jealousy or Greed or Envy)

Autonomy is about being indepedent, not needing anything from anybody, doing by yourself.

Dominion is about controlling, having power over something, making them depend on you.

Edited by Oversleep

Isn't it confirmed that Ruin and Preservation are opposites?

CHAOS

Are Shards all paired? Does Endowment have a counterpart?

BRANDON SANDERSON

RAFO. Also, yes and no. Not all Shards have perfect counterparts like Ruin and Preservation.

QUESTION

Why were Ruin and Preservation linked together?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Because they're such perfect opposites. Basically it's just an opposites attract thing.

Source.

Scroll to #5

Edited by khyrindor

I'm not so sure that there are so much opposites, as categories. One might say that cultivation and this secret "hiding/survival" shard are counterparts, because they are similar in many ways, trying to nurture and protect something, but cultivation wants to do so externally, and hiding/survival wants to do so internally.

To put it another way, tin and pewter are counterparts, but they are very similar in most ways, except one is a pushing metal, while the other is a pulling metal. They aren't complete opposites.

Devotion and dominion are two ways of trying to get people to act a certain way, but one is pulling them to do it, while the other is pushing them.

I'm not so sure that there are so much opposites, as categories. One might say that cultivation and this secret "hiding/survival" shard are counterparts, because they are similar in many ways, trying to nurture and protect something, but cultivation wants to do so externally, and hiding/survival wants to do so internally.

To put it another way, tin and pewter are counterparts, but they are very similar in most ways, except one is a pushing metal, while the other is a pulling metal. They aren't complete opposites.

Devotion and dominion are two ways of trying to get people to act a certain way, but one is pulling them to do it, while the other is pushing them.

Finally! Someone who thinks Devotion and Dominion are opposites!!!

...I've been alone.

Actually, WoB has it that ruin's intent is most aligned with culitivation. (Edited for focus on the point in question):

Source

Nepene

I have a question, if you are willing. Would Ruin be more compatible with Rayse, would he pick up that shard had he visited Scadrial and shattered him? All the shards we have seen that he has shattered seem rather different in intent than him—Honor, Cultivation, Love, Dominion. But Ruin seems more in line with Odium. Rayse has ruined the days of quite a few people.

Brandon Sanderson

Technically, Ruin would be most compatible with Cultivation. Ruin's 'theme' so to speak is that all things must age and pass.

Edited by Emerald101

Actually, WoB has it that ruin's intent is most aligned with culitivation. (Edited for focus on the point in question):

Source

It's what i want to say. You may take Shard's Intent with different criteria and you may obtain many possible "opposite".

For example to me the relationship Ruin-Cultivation are quite similar to the relationship Devotion-Dominion.

In both pairs the members aim to the same thing ( Change for Ruin&Cultivation and Cohesion for D&D) but use different methods to get it.