Theory: Trell as the holder of the shard Corruption

Jozomby

I've found a couple places on the forum where people have discussed what the remaining shards might be, and Corruption has come up a couple of times:

After reading Shadows of Self, I'm of the opinion that one of the shards is indeed Corruption, and there is a good chance that it has interacted before with Scadrial.  I'm even going so far as to assign the name Trell to the shardholder

simply because that seems to be the direction Sanderson is taking us with Marasi's line near the end of SoS.

• People on Scadrial often say "rust and ruin".  Though I usually skip over the "rust" part since it goes pretty well with the whole "ruin" theme, it wouldn't be too far a stretch to say that there's an actual source for the first part of that phrase as well.  Rust is the corruption of metal.
  • The new metal has red spots on it that are distinctly reminiscent of rust.
  • The abominations that Bleeder/Paalm creates are corrupted humans.
  • Paalm is mad, beyond just what comes from removing one of her spikes.  Why did she remove it from the first place?  I propose that that madness came from Trell and Corruption.  Madness is the corruption of the mind.
  • If this really is a foreign shard, it's hijacking Scadrial's magic system and Harmony's communication channels; again, reminiscent of corruption.
So, as you can see, there's nothing definitive, but I feel like the pieces are definitely here.  What do you think?
Edited by dklee10

Sorry about that.  Still trying to figure that out.  How do I insert spoiler tags?

<spoiler> *insertspoilershere* </spoiler>. Replace <> with [ ]

As for the topic/theory itself, Corruption sounds too similar to Ruin to me but it is interesting

Edited by ParadoxSpren

As for the topic/theory itself, Corruption sounds too similar to Ruin to me but it is interesting

Yeah, I think that won't work. Shards are very well segregated - if an Intent falls under one Shard, it's difficult to put it under another as well. Corruption, which is a type of change, easily falls under Ruin.

Besides this, we have a confirmation somewhere that the new metal comes from a Shard we know (of). Which, depending on how you interpret it, means either {Odium} or {Odium or Autonomy} - Endowment and Cultivation sound very unlikely, and I really doubt Harmony wouldn't be able to recognize its own metal.

Unless you make Trell the third Shard on Scadrial - after Harmony and Odium/Autonomy. Which doesn't sound like Brandon at all.

You should probably just spoiler tag the whole topic for SoS to be honest.

And yeah, Chaos was the one who reported that "Trell" is a known shard, which limits the candidates to Endowment, Cultivation, Odium(/Rayse), or Autonomy(/Bavadin).

You should probably just spoiler tag the whole topic for SoS to be honest.

And yeah, Chaos was the one who reported that "Trell" is a known shard, which limits the candidates to Endowment, Cultivation, Odium(/Rayse), or Autonomy(/Bavadin).

Or the Shard that wants to hide and survive (it is kinda known, depending on perspective)

After actually looking at the way Chaos' question was phrased, and given Brandon's proclivity for the unexpected, I would not be surprised for there to be another way to interpret his answer.

Given, I'm not saying that my theory's correct.  After reading everyone's thoughts, especially the ones about Corruption already being a subset of Ruin, I'm willing to admit this may not (currently) be the most likely solution.

However, I also don't think that the events in Shadows of Self can be attributed to Odium.  That just seems to obvious for Sanderson.  Maybe I'm just too used to him surprising me at the end of every book, but I'm expecting something a little more spectacular and unexpected with this.  Perhaps this isn't another shard after all.  I have absolutely no evidence or explanation on how that could be possible, but I think it would be just like Brandon to make us think that some third foreign shard was behind everything and then reveal that it was something completely different the entire time.

Edited by dklee10

Or the Shard that wants to hide and survive (it is kinda known, depending on perspective)

The specific phraseology was one we have "seen", I believe, which excludes space shard and survival shard.

I agree Autonomy is our leading candidate on the available evidence.

Isn't Odium confined to the Rosharan System? I know that he can't leave the System but I took that as him being unable to even ACT outside of the system which makes me doubt a lot of the Odium-influence on Scadrial that many others seem to be privy to.

The specific phraseology was one we have "seen", I believe, which excludes space shard and survival shard.

I agree Autonomy is our leading candidate on the available evidence.

Which is space shard? That may be a new one for me.

Isn't Odium confined to the Rosharan System? I know that he can't leave the System but I took that as him being unable to even ACT outside of the system which makes me doubt a lot of the Odium-influence on Scadrial that many others seem to be privy to.

Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self take place after Stormlight, or at least after the first five stormlight books.  Since we still don't know how those will end, it's possible that at this point Odium is free to act.

As for Autonomy, the only published reference we have to it/Bavadin is the Letter, correct?

Edited by dklee10

Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self take place after Stormlight, or at least after the first five stormlight books.  Since we still don't know how those will end, it's possible that at this point Odium is free to act.

As for Autonomy, the only published reference we have to it/Bavadin is the Letter, correct?

Ah yeah, that's right. I just found that out earlier today as well. Man, this chronology stuff is confusing, especially with modern Mistborn being written during the SA gap and then SA 6-10 being written.

And yes, Bavadin has only been mentioned in-universe through the Letter.

I don't think we can rule out Automony or Odium.

Mostly due to our lack of knowledge. We know very little of Automony/Bavadin. Odium and Autonomy have worked together in the past. They could have cooperated to try and get rid of Harmony.

But Bleeder seems like a very pathetic attempt for the likes of Rayse. Unless it wasn't a real attempt, and simply testing Harmony to see what response he would have. (Much like Straff testing the walls of Luthadel).

But too much of this will be influenced by Books 3 4 and 5 of Stormlight.

If Bleeder WAS an attempt to destroy Harmony, we known from WoB that a Splinter must be created actively by a shard. Or at least that is how its worded here. Wouldn't this mean Odium has to get Shards to splinter themselves? Bleeder attempting to destroy what Harmony created might have required action from Harmony. 

Its speculation, and I haven't read up on theories of how a shard is destroyed, but it seems very Brandon-esque to require the willingness of the shard itself.

Knowing how Odium destroys shards is key to trying to predict how he would, if he would, influence Harmony. WoB said he's scared of Harmony.

But why? He has the power of two shards? That can't be. He's gone up against multiple shards and won.

Or is it the intent of Harmony itself? Theoretically If Shattering was a shard's intent, then Harmony would probably be one of the few intents that oppose it. What Odium is trying to do, be the only shard left, is opposed by the concept of Balance.

Edited by Stormcrown

Which is space shard? That may be a new one for me.

They could be the same one. Brandon got asked around the same time by two different people to tell them about an unknown Shard. To one person he said there's a shard that wants to survive and hide. To another he said there's a shard that doesn't reside on any planet. So up to you whether you feel that those two are probably the same one or not.

While Odium seems an unlikely candidate, it is possible he could have an agent bring a Raysium spike to Scadrial for him. But I think there's a lot more circumstantial evidence that Autonomy was the one interfering.

• Chaos locked this topic