Why Hoid is from Scadriel

Javapython_

Hoid is both an Allomancer and a Ferrochemist. But please note these few things about him.

1. He didn't necessarily use the bead of Lerasium to become a Allomancer unless there was an interview that I didn't read. Regardless of whether he is a Mistborn or just a Misting, and similarly with Ferruchemy. It's still possible that he is compounding much like the Lord Ruler did in order to stay young.

Brandon said "He did steal a bead of Lerasium off of Scadrial. If he were to make use of that bead, certain powers would have been gained."

2. He would likely be from Scadrial given he could gain BioChromatic Breath. Despite this many people think he is from Yolen. I will admit that I haven't read ever book in the Cosmere yet, but I'm almost done, and my theory makes sense; at least to me.

3. None of his powers are gained from Hemalurgy

So little is known about the ability LightWeaving on Yolen, so to assume that he's from there and that it is heredity it foolish, so let's assume that like BioChromatic Breath, LightWeaving can be gained, or like Forging, it can at least be taught.

The ability to visit Shadesmar can be gain in many ways, and the ability to manipulate it comes from practice.

He uses Feruchemy to gain limited foresight, so he can know where he should be.

This leads to my believing that he has lived through ages, maybe even since the shattering, though we know he isn't a Shard. It's quite possible though.

As far as we know, Ferruchemy is strictly genetic, but being the oldest form of magic on Scadrial, it makes sense that he is from there, likely before the Rise of the Lord Ruler.

His ability to heal and "bend time" could also come of Terris heritage.

I don't think that he is a MistBorn, but rather a twin born of multiple abilities. NOT a full MistBorn and Ferrochemist though.

Comment below with objections or support of this theory, I'd enjoy hearing what you guys think about it.

-Java

The Words of Radiance ars arcanum refers to Lightweaving as being an art found on Sel, Yolen and Roshar. Why can't a form of feruchemy exist in two places? After all, Preservation and Ruin made humans modeled after a design they'd seen elsewhere. Maybe they copied feruchemy, too.

He was at the Shattering, and life on Scadrial was made by Preservation and Ruin, and allomancy and feruchemy came from their Investment of the planet.

Also, there's the beginning of Liar of Partinel that's floating around the web, (although it should be noted that Hoid hadn't yet stolen that name, so the Hoid in the text is a different person)

And I'm pretty sure we have WoB that Hoid is from Yolen.

Edited by Ari

The source of the Hoid's Feruchemy is a mistery so far we know. There are theories about but nothing sure:

- One theory was about a Pre-Shattering version of Feruchemy (probably not the same of the modern) that Hoid carries.

- Another was about the Feruchemy's Origin as a Magic system and how Hoid could gained the Feruchemy together with the Terrisman.

I'm sure there are other theories about, but now I don't remember them.

Ari, could you use spoiler tags when talking about works that aren't published? Or better yet, don't bring them up. We're not allowed to talk about White Sand in the public forums thus we probably aren't allowed to talk about Liar of Partinel. You may have read a copy already, but for those of us who haven't, I'd rather not be spoiled by anything in it. Especially since it pertains to Hoid. Thanks!

Edited by Titan Arum

Done, keep in mind you need to edit your quote too though. :)

I was intending more to point out that the existence of this unpublished work is relevant to the discussion rather than spoiler it, but if it seems spoilerish I am happy to tag it. :)

• 1 month later...

If we're discussing Hoid's powers, his pure white hair suggests that he has some connection to Elantris. Perhaps half-Elantrian? The Moon Scepter he *ahem* acquired on Sel may allow him the ability to Worldhop. This is speculation from a guy who was rereading Elantris and noticed the white hair of the Elantrians.

If we're discussing Hoid's powers, his pure white hair suggests that he has some connection to Elantris. Perhaps half-Elantrian? The Moon Scepter he *ahem* acquired on Sel may allow him the ability to Worldhop. This is speculation from a guy who was rereading Elantris and noticed the white hair of the Elantrians.

He would have had to worldhop to Sel to actually get the scepter though.

• Chaos locked this topic